1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

May Your Best Saree(s) Win!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Rihana, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

[​IMG]

@Rihana Is Banerjee on the verge of a wardrobe malfunction ? He appeared to have had no help in checking the pleats or hem of his dhoti. Poor thing!

Rihana and yellowmango like this.
  2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

View attachment 262717
    The Mumbai-born economist looked dapper in a silk, white, gold-bordered dhoti in Bengali style paired with a beige kurta and a black bandhgala. Duflo opted for a plain blue-green saree with a gold embellished end, and paired it with a contrast, red blouse with gold buti embriodery. She completed her look with a red bindi for the award ceremony that was held at the Stockholm Concert Hall.
    Source

They look so nice and sophisticated.

KashmirFlower and Rihana like this.
  3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

I made soooooo many lehenga cholis for the girls and for my nieces. Also made batua pouches with the left over pallu bits.

Rihana and Amulet like this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Is the opposite for me... wore them a lot before getting married. After that, has been only for special occasions. The mention of bluish green reminded me of a question someone asked once, "why do you girls refer to it as bluish green, not greenish blue?' : )

Talking of engagement and wedding sarees, it's been a while since I took mine out,refolded them and put them back. That task ends up taking an entire day or weekend with the distractions and nostalgia and extra side-tasks it generates.

For a while in my family and relatives, we did not encourage the buying of Mysore silk sarees. They were considered too expensive for daily wear and not "grand" enough for a wedding. Instead, we settled for "printed silk" sarees. I don't know if the Mysore silk material has now changed, but back when I wore them more often, it was so easy to wear one, even in a tiny, not well lit college or office women's bathroom or the ladies room.

"baby pink" - Except for one cotton saree, I never found the right 'baby pink' to buy whenever looking for sarees.

Thank you for sharing your favorites.

5. Rihana

: ) I doubt anyone in that audience would notice a few astray pleats. I found the black shoes rather incongruous.

Just watched a video. The dhoti stayed in place. You can stop worrying. : ) I also noticed that her blouse was high neck and reached till the waist, so no skin exposed as she bowed to different people and turned around and walked back to her seat.

Amulet likes this.
  6. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

I am very fond of sarees. When I was in teens my aunty used to bring saree for us. I used to think when I start working I should wear different sarees everyday. When we were young we were bought only sarees on Diwali. My sister and I used to share the sarees. After many years after my marriage when children grew up I could buy sarees. Me and my friend had a shop where we used to buy the latest sarees. The owner used to keep for us the new arrivals. When I used to travel by contract bus after I had hip bone fracture some ladies who used to go for walk that time used to like my sarees and once they told me that everyday we wait to see which saree you will be wearing. Even near my office some ladies have commented. I did not know there are so many admirers. One friend used to say you are a perfect woman nicely dressed up with nice sarees, gajra on the hair and you carry yourself very nicely.

After retirement I could wear only during functions. Now a days have many sarees and all are gifts. Dont buy saree for diwali since new saree will be there. Since few months one close friend from my office gives me a saree for my birthday and navratri. This year she gave me for my wedding anniversary and also one more saree with necklace, bangle, bindi , cosmetics etc for her mother in law's death anniversary as she had died as a sumangali.

Now I have many sarees and have made matching jewellery and wear during functions, when I go for Narayaneeyam , other poojas

Rihana and Amulet like this.
  7. Rihana

Sharing is nice. After we were a little older, we tried to coordinate so we wore our shared sarees to places where people wouldn't have seen the other sister wearing it. : )
    That service and recognition of regular customer is something I miss now.

We had some teachers and they almost never repeated sarees for the entire school year.

Thyagarajan and iyerviji like this.
  8. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Rihana,
    I thourghouly enjoyed reading recollection of your memories with your sarees but I missed to post my response on that day, so I'm here. I still remember that when I was in elementary school many times I had tried to drape my mom's saree which was hanging on clothesline. For first time I wore saree in public was when I was in degree second year and that saree was mango yellow Neeruguttepalle (madanapalle) pure hand loom silk saree which I borrowed from my sister to attend my mom's niece marriage. I really like that color so I bought same color Banarasi silk Saree before marriage.
    My marriage fixed suddenly, engagement and marriage happened within a week difference so I bought aquamarine color Gadwal silk saree for engagement and kanjeevaram sarees (violet, deep pink, green and maroon red) for wedding. All those sarees are at my mom's house and may be I wore them once or twice because have been living abroad hasn't given me opportunity to wear them. I used to wear sarees at home until second kid born. After that, no time/patience so have started to wearing sarees for special occasions/temples only. I love all my sarees because My mom buys sarees for me. :)

Thyagarajan and Rihana like this.
  9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @Rihana ,

Told ya elsewhere that now I have time on my hands and will be spent here. Nice write up as always my friend. You know the sarees I own have their stories too but you know I want to share something else here - just today I was telling a friend of mine about a razai I own - made out of my mom's old sarees. When I miss her I take that out and sleep on it - I can feel my mom and that particular saree looked fabulous on her then as it does now on the razai!

Happy holidays my friend - for some reason this year is getting very nostalgic for me.

Thyagarajan and Rihana like this.
  10. Rihana

What a lovely surprise to see thread bumped up and your response on a lazy holiday afternoon, Mistt!
    Indeed, our color tastes start off with the first ones that we happen to wear for some reason.
    So nice to get this peek into your closet of special sarees! My engagement day saree or rather the one I happened to be wearing when I was presented the ring : ) is a deep maroon Mysore sillk, plain and hardly any buta even in the pallu. For my wedding, the silk sarees were from well-known weavers of DH's home state, color green similar to parrot green but so not parrot green, and a peacock blue/green. Due to logistics, I could myself choose only for the reception, and I needed to have at least one Banarsi silk in red, so it was one like this.
    All of mine that I still have are with me. : ) Including some my mother didn't take back after her trips. One such is this soft and well-worn cotton one, picture below. Unfolded it only today after 18 years to take a picture. 2019 the whole year went by taking nature pictures but never uploading to your snapshots thread, so ending year with this picture upload inspired by your response:
    msaree.jpg

Thyagarajan and Mistt like this.