Biggest Risk To Your Physical Safety You Ever Took?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rihana, Dec 13, 2019.

1. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Riding back from my tuition center to my home in bicycle. That road was deserted and most of the kids had two wheeler or picked up by parents . My parents had no clue where I went or what I did . One time a guy came in lightening speed and groped me and rode so fast . I still remember the time when I was standing in the middle of road with zero energy to start my cycle . I will never forget that moment . I didn’t want to share it with my mom since she won’t send me there anymore. I don’t think she even understood all those things . She got married like 15 when she was really young .Being the last kid many times I was left alone to make my own choices . One other incident was a guy blocking my way to store every damn time . I even remember his face and name . He used to block my way and ask me bunch of random questions . I used to complain to my mom and she used to say he was harmless and never took any action . One time he grabbed my hand and pulled into the house . That moment was so scary and I ran away so fast that I felt like almost my heart stopped beating .Finally I found another longer route to go to the store since my mom had no help to get groceries . I used to be chubby pretty girl back then. For lack of words I never dressed up properly . My parents were too much occupied to even understand what was going in my life . This was later When I was working in different state sometimes I have to take bus late night . The area I took bus was filled with ladies standing for pickup . They usually wore bright dresses with full makeup. I have seen young guys come in expensive cars and pick those ladies . It was so scary to even stand in the bus stop . I never want to go back to my life in India before marriage. Luckily my husband’s family have more common sense about women safety than mine . Even writing this makes me feel so scared thinking how I survived those days .

sweetsmiley, Vaikuntha, SunPa and 2 others like this.
  2. abcd5

abcd5 Silver IL'ite

1. We moved to Florida, and we wanted to buy a used car. Seller gave the address to meet us in a no-man's-land. We went there without thinking about our safety and met that guy and we bought that car from that guy. Later we became friends, and he said that day he came to that place with a loaded gun in his backpack.
    learning: when you buy/sell you should meet in a public place and always check the address before you leave and inform somebody.

2. My husband had a job offer in Cleveland. We flew and landed around 12 am and got the rental car. We booked the hotel in a nice suburb but we had only 1 day time to look so I asked my husband to drive through surface road to get an idea. I think we were driving through the rundown area and suddenly one guy was standing on the road and threw a big rock on our windshield. We didn’t stop our car but luckily we had full insurance. After that incident I don't use surface roads specially in downtown/rundown areas.

Vaikuntha and Rihana like this.
  3. Dhandal

Dhandal Platinum IL'ite

Mine was something similar to Mangai’s.
    During my high school i had to go to my math tution which was 10 mins ride from my house. By the time I would return it will be dark and there were no street lights and for 5 consecutive days this guy would come fast just to grab my t- shirt from back. It gives me nightmares even now. Once I lost balance and fell on the road. Informed my parents and from then on somebody was there to accompany me.

Another incident ,
    This was in high school as well where I had to take train to school. There was an excursion in school where I had to go home and pack dress for 2 days and then go. The bus from school starts at 10 pm and so I was in train at 8.30 pm and got down in the station at 9 and there was this guy who told me he would drop me at school. Luckily it was cycle and without having second thought I was on the back
    Of the cycle( that much I wanted the trip with my friends). He stopped on the way and asked me whether he can buy a cool drink for me , that’s it I ran from there like a mad dog.

Rihana likes this.
  4. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Aah :) As a child I was constantly getting hurt where my parents or neighbors would rush to the doctor opposite our apartment complex to get stitches or a tetanus injection! We would get these brilliant ideas of combining 2 games in 1, like hide-and-seek and lock-and-key, where you shut your eyes while running to catch the other person... things like that... so I was constantly falling and hurting myself!!

At my first job, when my parents felt confident enough to go to a wedding leaving me alone at home for a few days. Now, all newbies at the company were rotated with providing off-shore support for a client here in the US which meant every few weeks our schedule was 6PM - 2AM for an entire week. And it so happened that the week my parents were traveling, I was on that team. Whenever we were on that rotation, the company provided us with cabs and while boys were allowed to find their own transport back home if they wished, girls had to compulsarily only travel back by the company cab/bus. Since I was excited to be home alone, I invited a friend over to stay with me (she used to stay at a relative's house in Madras for work and the relatives were not really particular about her whereabouts!!!). One day, we both decided to ditch the company cab and decided to ride my scooty to work. At the end of the shift, I asked one of the guys to accompany me to my scooty until we reached out of the campus and just had my friend hop on!! So at around 2.15 AM, there we were, 2 22 yr olds riding a scooty. While we got many curious stares from the little tea stalls open at various places, we did not face anything untoward. We felt so grown-up and so liberated that we took a longer route to get to my home. We were tickled at how easy this was and decided to pull this stunt the next day also and decided to ride my scooty again. As soon as we reached work, even before we logged in, we were summoned to a conference room to find by our PM and a Business Partner looking extremely upset. We got such an earful that we had put the entire company under extreme risk and how unacceptable this was and my PM was threatening to call my parents, while I stood there choking back tears of shame and embarrassment. He got even more mad that we had not rode the cab that day also and said we were to either leave the scooty at work or wait until morning to ride the scooty back. Staying in the office seemed like a good idea at that time, since I was not ready to part with my scooty and go home!! So there we were, pulled an all-nighter at the office so that I could ride my scooty back home! So around 5.30 next morning, I rode home, tireder and wiser. And the worst part was few of the guys from my team (who were te same age as us) somehow appointed themselves as our guardians and were advicing us on how dumb we were to pull that stunt and how much at risk we had put ourselves in and decided to pull the all-nighted with us, so that they could ride back with us the next morning. In this whole incident, that is what irked me the MOST. And my cab driver, he is who complained about us apparently. He had seen us on the scooty on the way and went and lit the fire :-|

Another one was more recently, when I decided it would be a brilliant idea to get on a jetski with my then 3 yr old and a 11 yr old, a friend's child at a lake near Yosemite! I know nothing about jet-skiing or swimming and still thought it must be as easy as riding my scooty on the Chennai roads, since the concept seemed the same.. accelerator and brake. So off I went, and I went in an area of the lake where the water was extremely choppy and the entire jet-ski toppled over, with all of us falling into the water, with my 3 yr old screaming her head off, and me trying to hold her and the 11 yr old, while simultaneously shouting for help. A kind couple in another jet ski helped us all back on and towed us back towards the pier. If not for the life jacket, they would have been fishing 3 bodies out of the water that day. I must say that is one of the scariest experiences of my life. It has been 2 yrs since that incident and my little one still feels anxious getting on a boat. She refuses to go back on a jet ski!! And I keep googling on how life jackets actually work. Until that point, I wasn't even so sure that they actually work!!

Rihana likes this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Oh my.. each post is reminding me of similar risks I have taken... I am going to yell less at the kids from now on at the risks I think they take .. :facepalm:

6. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

I used to do Pune Mumbai trips all alone in cabs at late nights and early morning ... I don’t know how many times I have done this to and fro and never ever had teeny weeny doubt in my mind and completely trusted the cab drivers ....

I used to work late nights almost till 1 am on a daily basis and take the office cab back ....

this was pre BPO era and Pune was very safe and now I think it was too risky.

once i , my friend and my sis were coming back from Mumbai site seeing , it was post midnight and was thinking if we should go home or stay back at train station but we did take the auto back and we were prepared to Jump if there was a need.

now in day time also , I call family
    Multiple times Even if I am traveling in office provided cab ...

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    Rihana and peartree like this.
  7. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

I did this a lot too , I used to confront ... , once I made a boy fall down from cycle as I held on to his cycle handle ...he was in a group

I used to stomp on feet of eve Teasers when I was ready get down the bus ...

but never had any one come retaliate

Rihana likes this.
  8. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Aah, yes. I have lived in Pune and frequently visited Mumbai and I think they were one of the safest places to be!! I used to see girls in Mumbai local trains at all times in the night. Also we used to walk around the Ganpati pandals at late nights and felt absolutely safe doing so in Pune!

Rihana and armummy like this.
  9. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

I think Pune is still quite safe but couple of BPO in Incidents in Pune and all other bad incidents across the country takes away the feeling

Rihana likes this.
  10. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Dad bought me new scooty it was first 96cc vehicle, I got up early morning to ride (crazy kind when you have a new things on teens) , there was a manja thread lying across the road I couldn't see it , it cut my throat I felt a sharp pain and started bleeding. Rushed home then to hospital. Doctors said I was lucky if I had sped up the manja would have cut my throat fully .
    Then what happened was ultimate my parents never allowed me ride in early morning or late nights.
    (Manja is a thread made for flying kites very sharp usually hurts the hand while flying kites)

Another one was during my on-site visit to SFO, our accommodation was near Oakland bay bridge. There was a fight involving gun shooting, me and my then co-workers were stupid enough to go near and watch.
    We didn't know the gun culture , for us it was exciting. Next day we came to know 2 people dead, &got earful from our manager. We were all 21-24 yrs. Cops looked at us like we were idiots
    Now i think that was the most stupid thing, I ever did.

We all have faced many things , and raise our kid with Max protection. I wonder if they know how it feel to fight or flight

sweetsmiley, Sunshine04 and Rihana like this.