1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is It Mandatory To Welcome The New Neighbor?

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by anika987, Dec 12, 2019.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

My new neighbor is someone from the state and language I speak.I am the kind who keeps to myself and let relationships grow organically..
    This neighbor has a daughter one year younger to mine.

My other neighbor is asking me to go, get some Food and knock and get friendly.

Is it mandatory?

one other neighbor keeps nudging me to do that and irritates me when she keeps saying that the new neighbor is from the same language and state in India as mine and she is surprised that I didn’t go and say hi.

I don’t understand this...I have other neighbors too.If my neighbor is an American or someone from
    different state, this was not expected.Now it is expected coz she is speaking the same language?

When we meet naturally,it is not like am
    Going to walk way turning my face.I will be nice.I have tried being nice to one lady and it backfired badly.Personally..even I do not feel comfortable if someone knocks my door with food and says hi.They maybe friendly but I don’t want to be obligated to return favors and get friendly.I want relationships to go with the flow..

Caughtinbetween likes this.

2. SpringB

SpringB Platinum IL'ite

Irrespective of nationality/language new neighbors are welcomed with some cookies/ treats and people just drop in to introduce themselves to make the newcomers feel at home. Just a basic courtesy. Perfect time to drop in with a treat and say happy holidays !

sindmani, meepre, sweetsmiley and 2 others like this.
  3. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Not mandatory but it’s a nice gesture.

Since I live in a society, whenever a new resident gets added everyone sends a message saying ‘welcome’ in our group.

N when my next door neighbor moved in, we spoke to them during their moving in process itself, its a villa society, so we met right outside our houses. Saying welcome, we live right next door n feel free to ask if they need any help. N we all became friends.

The point being, welcoming them is always a nice thing. But how you wana do it is upto you.

4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Not mandatory but good neigbourly gesture.

sindmani and meepre like this.
  5. KayKuyil

KayKuyil Silver IL'ite

Not at all mandatory. If you don’t feel comfortable, don’t do it. Like you said, if you casually see them outside, you can acknowledge with a smile and hello. I don’t go out of the way to greet people and just go with the flow and can vouch that it works great.

6. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

I must first say this @anika987 that more than the responses i always cherish reading the questions you ask. your questions are cute .
    coming to OP , i think its always stressful if one were to bond with someone over common state or language you speak. if friendship has to happen , it will naturally happen .

Rihana and anika987 like this.
  7. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

True..last time I went to welcome a neighbor few blocks away and felt like a fool at the response..

This time it is next house so I don’t want to overwhelm them.

Sunshine04 likes this.
  8. rachaputi

rachaputi Platinum IL'ite

As it is next house, it won't seem awkward. And most of the Indians love this kind of honours. Try it..

anika987 likes this.
  9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Depends on the city regulations and any home owner association rules. Usually, it is mandatory for SAHM's to take cookies over and preferably home-baked ones. : )

Where I live, it goes by the cost the new neighbor paid for the house. If they paid more than we did for a similar house, we go give them cookies. If they paid less than what we paid a while back, they bring us over cookies in commiseration. : )

Hope this other neighbor moves away. Does not sound like a keeper.

If I were the new neighbor, rather than food I would appreciate feedback and must-know's about the local schools and children's activities providers from the parent of a child a year older than mine.

Vaikuntha and Laks09 like this.
  10. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

It is a nice gesture . Why not ? It is holiday time and maybe your daughter might be able to make a friend . I think you just don’t like people telling you what to do . I don’t see any harm in the advice except the nagging part

Vaikuntha likes this.