1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Do You Entertain Kids In The Weekend?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by anika987, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

2. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

@anika987 - Summer camps won't be open yet. It will be Spring break first. Yes, good camps fill up quickly.

Most camps (Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter) are week by week (full time or half time). The full-time camps that provides a lot of activities (STEAM-based) are usually $250-$275 per week.

A good time to start looking for summer camps is right after Spring break. If you are a member of a museum/ theatre etc, you will get a notification as soon as the camp enrollment is open.

You can find camps according to your kid's interests. There are all sorts of camps after 1st grade- Art (painting, theatre etc), sports, Science, Engineering, gardening etc.

anika987 likes this.
  3. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Local community center cheap and best. Various options. They open up after spring break. In our area most of them get FULL so quickly. Summer camp is like a sea. It is one of the times where you allow kid to explore to understand their interest. My kids have done all kinds of camp from art to theater to lego to science . Enjoy your summer

anika987 likes this.
  4. Roar

Roar Gold IL'ite

Here (UK), we get those last minute deals in camps but I think it applies to any country, the last minute deals.

You will get notifications if you are subscribed ...you might not get the exact dates you like or the exact location... but yeah look out for the deals. For the price, they are still worth because they have teams with stranger kids and learn to make new friends and then may be decide to take friendships further!

anika987 likes this.
  5. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

If possible, plan your summer travels in a way that you can take the full week off. That's all I can suggest. We plan two short trips (one week each) in the beginning and towards the end of summer so that the kids can relax outside a structured environment.

Next summer we are taking three weeks off in July to explore a few countries in Europe.

anika987 likes this.
  6. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Wow nice enjoy:) I had also posted a thread about which vacations are beat in summer in Europe.Where in Europe are you planning to go?

nuss likes this.
  7. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

@anika987 thanks! I remember that thread. I am sure I replied to that because I was making travel arrangements at that time.

I have booked the flights but we are also taking trains. That part is open for now..depending on how things go, we will change our plans. Traveling with two kids requires room for change in plans.

So far- we are flying to Stockholm (one way), taking a ferry to Helsinki, side trip to Estonia, flying from Helsinki to Prague (side trip to Cesky krumlov), train from Prague to Bratislava, train from Bratislava to Vienna, flight from Vienna to Paris and fly back from Paris to the USA. On an average 3-4 days in each city except for Prague (6 days).

8. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Beautiful itinerary! Btw, next summer is the centenary celebration of the Salzburg music festival. If you go during the festival to Salzburg you will be able to hear the Vienna Philharmonic perform along with other beautiful orchestras. Its a once in a life time experience, and since it's their centenary, and you are there at the right time, try and go. Its a 2.5 hrs train ride from Vienna to Salzburg. If you are going do book orchestra tickets/hotel/train early because they do sell out quickly. Enjoy your trip and do tell us how Helisinki is. I'd love to go!

nuss likes this.
  9. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@anika987 - Sorry to derail your thread!

Coming to kids in summer, at that age its best to do summer camps. Camps provide a structure and also something to do other than watching TV and chilling on the couch. If she is inclined to art, there are a dime a dozen various kinds of art camps available. There are also baking camps, dance camps, basket ball, volley ball, soccer etc. What I did was pick one/two week camps and try out various things. That kept her engaged and also gave her various things to learn.
    I always picked morning to evening camps because I worked but there are camps for a few hrs a day that you can register. I always sent her to the local rec centers or parks camps. I signed up for the email notifications and got notified when the camps went live. They do fill up within 30 mins of going live so I would pick camps/dates etc prior to the registration date and have it ready. They were not very expensive but super fun.

10. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Thank you for letting me know! That would be wonderful! I have to check the schedule. My husband played saxophone in school/college band and he’ll be thrilled to go to a music festival.
    Will definitely let you know about Helsinki. Our original plan was to take 3 day ferry to St. Petersburg from Helsinki but I didn’t want to pack too much in one trip.

Laks09 likes this.