General Chat And Banter

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Greenbay, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

They are ~15 months. They have their usual ear infection, indigestion episodes but generally they are healthy. They are not breastfed. But we are trying to feed milk through sippy cups and wean off bottles. They both have started eating solid food and drink water, so intake of milk is reducing day-by-day.

2. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

I understand. But after her clarification, I thought @SGBV clarified that she didn't mean to hurt anyone or the OP.
    Sometimes members have limited time to participate in forum discussions so type in hurry and might not see that our comments/thoughts can be misconstrued, words misinterpreted, so might hurt people inadvertently. When we come back to edit the post, time window would have expired plus more people would have quoted the post rendering the editing useless.

@SGBV is a compassionate member (based on the community reach and the service she does to downtrodden and the wonderful advice she gives to members in distress), so I think she would not hurt anyone intentionally. So please accord her a benefit of doubt.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  3. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

I have traveled in india with kids
    Your sisters should be able to see your kids.
    Options are
    1 invite them to Chennai. Host them at your in laws house or mahabalipuram
    2 your family can go and visit them .where do your sisters live.??A few hours car drive is ok for kids.

KashmirFlower and Greenbay like this.
  4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Why not ask the sisters if they can come? It is definitely easier for adults to do the trip rather than infants. With little 15 mo babies, not all moms are comfortable going to a place that doesn't have an airport nearby and traveling by train. I know I didn't want to take either of mine by train anywhere until they were older. Train travel with babies is just a pain for me.
    Another pain point is living in relatives houses and telling them my kid eats only this or that. It's hard when guests come home and the hoity toity american bahu wants to make nuggets for her son because he won't eat rice and sambhar. For this reason alone, I've begun staying in hotels whenever possible. Not everyone understands my son's dietary restrictions. I have told people whose kids drink only mineral water after coming from the US that they are crazy because my child drinks borewell water :)

Greenbay and Sunshine04 like this.
  5. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

Thank you all. Will discuss with my sisters to see if they can come to Mahabalipuram and spend time with us for 4 days. Money is not a hindrance. My MIL is highly educated well read lady but doesn't treat my sisters well, so they probably would not be too keen to come to her house in Chennai.

Sunshine04 and SpringB like this.
  6. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Sisters can stay in a hotel also near your wife house. You can book for them

Roar likes this.
  7. Roar

Roar Gold IL'ite

I concur.

Book a good hotel near by ( like 1-2kms away)and frequently visit for one meal and extend it to tea time with wife and kids...come back to mil for dinners.

and I somehow feel bus/ train journeys are more entertaining ( looking out of windows and all the food sellers calling out etc) than flight journeys for 15 month olds...so a bit of journey wont tire kids more than boredom on a 23 hour flight...

Sunshine04 likes this.
  8. Roar

Roar Gold IL'ite

I did not want to divert there....People are ok giving benefit of doubts until they cant... you can clearly see what people believe in those likes on the posts... However, I like how you force positive perspective into it, a bit if light to look for :)

9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

You are correct @Roar where i am concerned.
    I do not agree with Greenbay on this point.
    However, I respect his view and have not said a word against his posts or his request. I am sure Greenbay will not mind me giving "like" to posts that I agree with, though the post opposes his view.

SinghManisha likes this.
  10. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

@kkrish , Dear Kamala mam, I hold you in highest regard. You are one of my favorite stalwarts here. So please, your disagreement is fine with me. I also do not track who likes which post. Everyone has the freedom to like a post or not to. I really hate social networking's (facebook, this forum or any other forum) like feature which helps release dopamine but inflates one's self worth unnecessarily.

For many of us like I, English is not what we grew up with. So my posts might not pass the literary test or go by dictionary meaning only. But I don't have creepiness nor do I treat even one woman member here with contempt.

To tell the truth, I started reading this forum 3 years ago and was hooked on as I see mothers and sisters in the members I admire here and fathers and brothers in senior male members. So that 'creepy' comment hurt a lot. I grew up without father figure losing him when I was 5, I lost my mother when I was 28 before she could enjoy fruits of my labor. My thoughts are not refined like many of you here as our (mine and my sisters') childhood was spent in helping mother earn our bread and at 21, I was here in US studying MS and then PhD. After I finished my study at 26, had to join 60 hr work week job immediately to keep the visa status legal. So could not dedicate time to hone my skills to improve my writing.

I have waited outside doors of people in India, shown the corner to eat left over food in a different plate in the homes my mother made snacks, delivered Pizza in gangster areas in wisconsin, have washed dungy kitchens and even have received pukes from customers to get money from what they ordered. Since I didn't grow up reading English books, my thought process cannot match people who had access to refine the mindset. But even though my english is not refined, I could understand @SGBV's post that she didn't mean to hurt members here who grew up as single child or to hurt couples who have single child. If you all disagree, that is fine with me. I still stand on her side because I could understand what she really meant.

Let us agree to disagree and move on.

kkrish likes this.