Rip Priyanka Reddy:(

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

I
    Shravs,
    Didn't you notice his mom's agony while watching that video? They are ignorant. I just feel sorry for them and ignore their comments.

Greenbay likes this.
  2. Swetha52003

Swetha52003 Gold IL'ite

Am I the only one believing here that education and being poor or rich has nothing much to do with attitude towards women. I have seen poor uneducated men in villages who is extremely respectful towards women and highly educated, but arrogant perverts,who speak dual meaning words about women in work places. I feel it all boil downs to one,what signals a child receives in his/ her early childhood and teenage years from parents and surroundings. Maybe an awareness and moral,ethical and sexual education classes in schools and among under privileged can help...

3. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

I too believe this

anika987 likes this.
  4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

@armummy, I don't for a moment deny that we need to be careful and use common sense when we go around our lives. However, that is applicable to decisions such as where to go or not to go, what to wear etc. Even that can't always be controlled. What if somebody has no option but to go where they have to go? Remember that journalist who got raped in Mumbai when she went to a mill premises to do her job? What do babies, toddlers, young girls and women do when they are molested or raped by family members? Which means that from the moment of birth to the time she dies, no woman is safe anywhere.

Like I have said in a previous post, it is definitely scary to think of the consequences that would be faced by innocent men if framed or accused wrongly. But isn't that a risk that human judgment carries anyway, even if we go through the whole rigmarole of 20 years. On the other hand, it is not necessary that such 'instant karma' only hits innocent people. So for fear of what travesty of justice it would be if a few men are accused wrongly, how many women do we allow to suffer and for how long? Can they choose not to be born female - the only (even then not the absolute) precaution against rape?

Definitely, this is not the course of action one would like to see as a norm. But one or two such incidents should put the fear of God into potential rapists - unless of course they are rich and powerful who seem to be born children of a better God.

I too hope that the politician involved in the Unnao rape is given exemplary punishment. Buy all of us know that is wishful thinking. That is not to say, however, that others committing rape should be set loose on other women. If we were to use that logic - unless all are punished equally, nobody should be punished at all - we will be going down a slippery path. We have seen what happens when law takes its own course and lets criminals out on bail.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    anika987, Dhamini and Sunshine04 like this.
  5. hino

hino Silver IL'ite

Telangana police did right thing and at least % people will think before abusing women.
    Either educated or uneducated, parents will never teach son go and rape the women. Education will definitely help to control emotions, but not the evil thoughts . These so called victims of encounter are planned and murdered. Its preplanned and waited for her 4 hrs to take the advantage. Can easily understand the agony /mental trauma for 1-2 hrs of her, which no one should experience. Next time, some one willing to do crime, they should remember Sajjanar.

anika987 likes this.
  6. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

This is precisely the attitude which is the root cause of women's issues in India. Cliche: This needs to be changed. But how long will it take for such deeply ingrained attitudes to change? Do we wait until then and until the judiciary decides to awake from its deep slumber? I don't think we can afford to.

This culture of victim shaming and blaming is exactly what provokes and legitimizes the actions of criminals, knowing fully well that they will be let off the hook with a 'it was the girl's fault' or 'ladke to ladke hote hain, galti hoti hai'. Effectively the woman if not murdered is sentenced to a lifetime of social stigmatization. Where rape is a tool to humiliate, shame, punish and subjugate women and their families, this is a dangerous trend. This is why I do not condemn what happened in Hyderabad to the rapists. Not to deny that mass education and sensitization needs to be carried out on a war footing.

This is also at the root of the way the victim's kin are talking. That is all they know. They have had no exposure to 'civilization'. So while on the face of it, they are just facing the consequences of their actions (in bringing up sons with a sense of privilege), they knew no better. Even rich, 'well-educated' families are extremely misogynistic and consider producing a male child their biggest service to mankind, what to talk of the illiterate and uneducated? For the latter it is solely a question of day to day survival. Humanity comes a poor second.

As for the media, the less said the better. They are like those 'geedhad' (that word sounds more descriptive than 'vultures') who think nothing of preying on the hapless, pained parents of the victims (interviewing them endlessly, not even allowing them the time to grieve) and chasing and exposing (to life long consequences and ostracization) the relatives of the culprits on national television channels. They thrive on such sensationalization.

A 'civilization' which equates a human being and their honour to one part of their anatomy is indeed mentally sick and I see little or no hope for such a society which is made up of a majority of people with such attitudes.

On a different note, love the spirit and answer of the little girl who says boys and girls are not equal, girls are better! :-D

anika987, Dhamini and Brevity like this.
  7. Brevity

Brevity Gold IL'ite

Can we afford to ignore this kind of ignorance though?

Sunshine04 and shravs3 like this.
  8. Dhamini

Dhamini Platinum IL'ite

Such a terrible tragedy and subsequent loss of lives.

Everyone here wants to get as quick justice as possible for the culprits which had been the contentious issue for a very long time. Legally speaking the police did use a loophole to proceed with the fake encounter. Whilst my mind is stating to think about a fair and quick judgement to be given - the reality is that it seldom happens in India. That’s the reason why public are celebrating this fake encounter inspite of the knowledge that it’s only a temporary fix to the gaping hole which is present. We cannot blame them as I am able to understand their frustrations, since I had been frustrated for many such issues in our country’s governance.

Regarding the parents of the rapists, I haven’t read about them but I wouldn’t be surprised since our culture is a patriarchal and misogynistic society.

Regarding the SES, it does play a significantly important role in the development of the kids and instilling moral and ethical values. Even if low SES, they need a safe and caring environment. A safe and nurturing environment until kid reaches adulthood is important for the kids to be an adult with moral and ethical values. Even in developed countries this plays an important role. Just because they are in higher SES means they are better; it doesn’t mean they get the care of their parents.

So parents do play an important role in the development of the children. Children when exposed to environment where the females are always treated worse, naturally tend to develop violent characteristics. So the education starts from young. There needs to be less of domestic violence, women needs to be given due respect and treated well. So not only education of the public is essential, improvements in the overall societal status is important.

These guys had probably been exposed where they never had any high regards for the females (which in no way is an excuse for the horrible killing they did) and that’s shown in the callous remarks by their parents as well. I haven’t watched the videos but read some translations here. Such abhorrent talks by parents show more about where we are standing as a society! Needs a lot to be done in addition to the poor judicial system revamping! Looks like a mammoth task. Will we ever get there? Hope is the only thing along with us continuing to speak against such atrocities.

Just my vent.

Sunshine04, shravs3, anika987 and 3 others like this.
  9. frndlysgp

frndlysgp Silver IL'ite

Where did Hindu religion come in? It is disgusting to bring in religion, race, language into such discussions. It was a heinous crime and these things don't stop until the mind set and patriarchal culture change. May be from today if we start or try to change the mind set of young kids 2-3 decades later this may reduce. At current scenario no laws will reduce this. We saw many changes in law after Nirbhaya case but still the rape cases in India is increasing. Its with mindset in which these men are brought up that its ok to abuse women sexually, physically or emotionally.Tagging it to a particular state or religion don't do any good.

Sunshine04 and anika987 like this.
  10. Roar

Roar Gold IL'ite

Yup values and general compassion during upbringing ... and going easy on selfishness

anika987 likes this.