Rip Priyanka Reddy:(

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Nov 30, 2019.

1. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

sadly, this happened in Nirbhaya case as well. One of the accused's mom kept repeating that the girl brought it upon herself.

anika987 likes this.
  2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

What would you say to the interview?

No. They truly believe that it isn’t such a big crime to sexually violate a woman and to then proceed and torment her and kill her after doing unspeakable things with her. That is what everyone is outraged about and name calling about. These are people who normalized rape and continue to do so after the deaths of their kin. I think that a lot of outrage towards people who raise such men also is needed. Watch this and this is mostly what some of the rapists of Nirbhaya said and some of the current rapists kin are saying. Isn’t this what the lady said as well? That the victim is somehow at fault here? How much of empathy can one have for such people? They brought it on themselves no? Let them deal with the outrage and backlash.

shravs3, Sunshine04 and anika987 like this.
  3. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Chennakeshavulu was not a bread winner. He was a patient who was intended to be under bed rest. All the other 3 family members were working and took care of him.

I understand that they lost a family member. That doesn’t mean they can blame the rape victim.

anika987 likes this.
  4. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

victim blaming is deeply programmed - maybe to appear balanced or it's the hindu way of acceptance - ''maybe it's that victim's past life karma, the criminal is only a tool(in the hands of the Lord)''.

An illustration of this is when somebody gets into an accident and uses ''my bad time today'' or ''the other person wasn't driving properly'' but not the 'sorry, I was distracted and it was my mistake'

Another is the news channel box people - one politician raises an issue, opposition party counters it with 'this is nothing when compared to what happened in your party rule' and this goes on till the end of the show.

This is because once you do that - accept that you did something wrong - then comes the mass lynching - all the hypocrites now tries to score a brownie point by ganging upon you.

--

Of course, the more objective view is that the mother is reacting* for the (potential) loss of his son's life / or to avoid/counter societal anger on her ''this is how you bring up your son ah''

*reacting - either play the victim, or go on the offensive.

5. sarvantaryamini

I don't feel sympathy for people who want to remain blind. I can understand how hard it must be to hear bad about someone you love, but to say that it's not the son's fault, it's the woman's fault is definitely the mother's problem. If she holds this kind of a view, what can be expected of her children? To deny that her son did it in the first place is one thing, to say he did the right thing is another.

As for karma, karma is not used to justify wrong doings, but to get on with life after a tragedy. Any philosophy can be interpreted the wrong way. This is not about religion. It is about the mindset of current population. First women are treated like objects, abused, then neglected and finally the culprits disposed off in the most unlawful manner OR left to go scot-free. Personally I feel, in Nirbhaya case, the "juvenile" should have been hanged as well, even if law had to be amended and an exception done, why should a monster be let go? Such a travesty of justice. It is these things which make one believe in karma. Surely that guy had a longer life-line, hence he was able to escape. If not his luck, then what?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    shravs3 and anika987 like this.
  6. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

@anika987 and @shravs3 I found the right video which you guys were telling and accused Chennakeshavulu's mom talked very bad about victim.

shravs3 and anika987 like this.
  7. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

Do you think any of the parent here said ‘he did the right thing’. I don’t understand Telugu , so have not watched any of the interviews but knowing TRP hungry immature media, I would not trust if they twisted her words.

Bigger issue is prevailing patriarchal mindset which is seen in upper and rich class as well. Rapes, child abuse, sexual harassment happen there too but they are camouflaged nicely with ‘log kya kahenge’ (What would people say) if truth comes out. See the climax in movie ‘highway’ where Alia describes the rape and abuse by immediate family member and how her mother tries to silence her. #metoo was mainly about male privilege and severe abuse of power/position which involved even raping their subordinates. How many of them underwent trial?

Recently watched a movie called ‘article 15’. The 70% of the population feels they are called ‘Harijans’ or ‘bahujans’ but just not simply ‘jan’. How do you describe a marginalized section’s reaction when media is pitting ‘us’ versus ‘them’ where us are middle class people still studying in college in our 20s versus ‘them’ forced to take up employment as soon as they fail 10th or 12th. Even upper middle class mothers will not condemn their wayward sons if they trespass. No one killed Jessica’s murderer’s mom didn’t offer her son’s head on platter.

My request is show equal rage in all cases of rapes else this pitting of ‘us’ versus ‘ them’ by print and broadcast media might continue beyond our lifetime.

8. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Deleted

9. sarvantaryamini

I don't know India, but in the west #metoo movement was a major headache for men. It was a shame for them. It caused loss of reputation and money too for some of the men. As for India, such things always are closed with "lack of evidence".

anika987 and Sunshine04 like this.
  10. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

My point being, in an instinct driven, mob justice society, rules of civilization is only a cloak and the actual rule is to use deceit save their skin-aka- life in the jungle.

Otherwise this whole thread is about using Vernier Calipers to measure yards.