Boba Milk Tea

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by mangaii, Dec 9, 2019.

1. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

i just have a doubt I see some of my colleagues drink boba milk daily every day and they seem to have no health issues whatsoever. My kid’s classmate so many of them drink that on regular basis . Is it really bad like they advertise in YouTube ? I for one cannot handle caffeine . But my kids often ask about it and I deny them citing health reasons . Even the guy who trains them drinks this and I’m always provided examples of how people consume it and still are healthy . I’m actually running out of reasons to deny it . Even in meetups they do networking with boba tea . Even when I meet my friend they have a milk tea . Does anyone else think it is unhealthy?

2. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

I have read only a few articles on it. But most of them revolves around too much sugar, under cooked tapioca pearls etc. Issues of too much sugar, and under cooked food are not specifically belong to the bob tea only, it could be bad for any regular food we eat. Tea has less caffeine however i do not think it is significantly less. If you cannot handle caffeine you shouldn't drink tea and shouldn't feel guilty about it.

mangaii likes this.
  3. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

My local mall has the tea in varieties of less sugar, no caffeine. I see a lot of Chinese there and some Americans. I tried to make one time, at home. But never tried again.
    My 2 cents is, it is fad and people are flocking to it. In (teenagers) friends groups it is easier to talk about fads, for hours and in the mean time- hangout together. The purpose some fads solve is to bring people together. The fad fades and the people stay together since their friendship has solidified.
    I would suggest that go with the fad, buy something and hangout with friends. Let children do the same. But instead of ingesting all different kinds, you can read up and contribute to conversations. Many people read about movies, serials to keep up trends and to be able to contribute to water cooler conversation.
    Some fads have a way of sticking around and even the cynical ones love it.

mangaii likes this.
  4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Instead of denying them all the time, try to set a limit. If you say no each time it’s a huge battle. I would let mine have one in a couple of week or so. It’s very high in sugars and definitely not great for health. It’s like people and sodas. They know it’s not good but are addicted to it. I think Boba doesn’t have as much caffeine in it as sodas so hopefully it’s not as addictive. Anyway giving in to the request in moderation seems like a good middle ground. That way you can let them pick when they want it and when they will get it next. Give them control with limits and hopefully you won’t have to say no a lot. This parenting is definitely hard work.

mangaii likes this.
  5. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Recently I read somewhere that a girl suffered stomach ache by drinking boba tea. Later the scanning revealed that it was due to undigested bobas which caused the pain.
    As @Laks09 mentioned drinking once a while should be fine. But regular consumption is not good.

mangaii likes this.
  6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Here is the news article. A Chinese teen overdid the boba and it clogged in her intestines causing pain. This is definitely not one cup of boba though!

mangaii and shravs3 like this.
  7. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

I think I'm going to give them may be once a month .Thanks for the responses