1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Do You Entertain Kids In The Weekend?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by anika987, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Great idea, can you post those ideas also ( too tired to think :D) thank you in advance

anika987 likes this.
  2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Would love to..will ask the kids to make the lists and post them here slowly. ; ) Your list in the other thread is quite exhaustive, as are the ones posted in this thread.

Some that I recall now are knitting (with kid-friendly needles), a $15 TIMEX wrist-watch that kept kid entertained, TINKERTOY, elaborate race car track system, LEGO, 4-5 operation calculator from Dollar Store, coin sorter, piggy bank, tangram puzzle pieces with book, flash cards on variety of topics, basic digital camera (was a novelty then), subscription to magazines like Highlights, Kids National Geographic, easel board with paper roll on other side, plain white 2'x3' dry-erase board.

A few times over the years I managed to convince DH to convert a large wall into a dry-erase white board area. There are many new ways of doing this now, including stick-on sheets and transparent paint. Google "turning wall into a dry erase board."

3. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

Is it lost in translation in interpreting what @SGBV wanted to convey? She might have referred to her kids that they are creative when they are together.I don't think she meant it as negative to couple with one child.
    How Do You Entertain Kids In The Weekend?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    yellowmango, SGBV and Caughtinbetween like this.
  4. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

emp·ti·ness
    /ˈem(p)tēnəs/

noun: emptiness
    1. 1.
      the state of containing nothing.

2. 2.
      the quality of lacking meaning or sincerity; meaninglessness.
      "he realizes the emptiness of his statement"
    3. 3.
      the quality of having no value or purpose; futility.
      "feelings of emptiness and loneliness"

5. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

I still feel @SGBV was referring to her kids to convey that if there is only one left, her other child doesn't play.
    I have twins and I can see that if my wife takes just one child with her for errands, our other one feels restless. So if they are used to each other's company from the beginning, their feelings might be different than if there is one kid and is used to being creative in playing.

The title of the thread has 'kids' and not just 'a kid'. So parents with more than one kid might be giving ideas to entertain kids.

Let us not ascribe false intentions to members when there are none and make them go through 'agni pariksha'(trial by fire) unnecessarily. You had done that to me once, so scars remain fresh :(

yellowmango and SGBV like this.
  6. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Making a comphrensive list Thanks a ton @Rihana

7. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

@Greenbay I will not entertain your victim mode anymore. Please stop responding to my post moving forward. I will do the same.

SinghManisha likes this.
  8. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

^^^I will call out your 'holier than thou' attitude only if and when I see one. This is a public forum and you don't own this forum AFAIK. If you don't respond to my posts, that is your wish. You can ask me to not to but cannot expect me to reciprocate.

To tell the truth, @SGBV is targeted unnecessarily here in my view. She didn't play by the book in one thread and now her every other post is misinterpreted. So I called it out. If trying to clear this by giving recent similar incident as example is treated as victim mentality (when it is not), your call. My mother taught me well to respond when we see putting down from anyone.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

And sorry to OP @anika987 for not giving any tips. My kids are still small, so I have nothing to contribute yet. I will read the tips posted here and use when they grow to be of 5-6 years age and if we stop using daycare.

9. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

i also think that she didnt mean it in a negative way for single kid families. i also understood as she meant her kids felt lonely when the other kid is not around. she is the best person to clarify it better though.

yellowmango, Greenbay and SGBV like this.
  10. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Oh... yet another fault finding from the dictionary :smash2:
    Congratulations @mangaii . Great attempt:clap2:

Oh no...
    Don't bother @Greenbay
    @mangaii will be mangaii... no matter what... Just move on!

This thread is followed by many. People interpret based on what they know.
    Don't waste your energy here!

Just that, I want to clarify @anika987
    What I meant by feeling emptiness in being a lonely child at home during winter times is, feeling like something is missing.... We people are social animals, so are our kids. So, if the kid doesn't have a companion around (in other times, she would have friends at School, classes etc) she might feel overwhelmed and it may be difficult for her to figure out what to do.
    That's different with the kids who have 1 or many siblings as they end up being creative even if there is nothing to entertain them.

I had felt empty when I was at a boarding place without my siblings during my childhood, and both my children had felt similarly when the other had gone out on a trip or family visit for a couple of days. I know what it is, as I have seen both the ends (with siblings and without them at a younger age).

anika987 likes this.