Gabfest: And Thereby Hangs A Tail

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Cimorene, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

Haan, yeah, I used to have his contact number saved as "Saajan" while my sis used to have it as "Piyaji" for hers! Lol, sweet days but nowwww... well, ain't the same! :sweatsmile:
    Me missing mine right now, wish he is back home from the trip already. Short trips too No-No please! :tongueclosed: Back in 2016, I used to enjoy the breaks as this but look now! 360* transformation in the last few years and I'm super surprised at myself about that! Lol. I know, you have come past these phases, I'm only getting there. :blush: Oh my! I'm all shy shy, blush blush! Ew Ew! :facepalm:

Gauri03 likes this.
  2. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

Esp. that political JJ makeup... What horror! :shocked:
    JJ is one politician name I wouldn't substitute therewith. Somehow I have developed a soft spot for her over the years that it's too hard now to shred it. Respect stays the same no matter what but just for her not about the party though. It's one case where my critical senses shuts down and I turn a bhakt! :facepalm: <insert WhatsApp flying ghost smilies here, don't you dare catch me on this!>
    :tonguewink:

3. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

You might not enjoy it for much beyond that!:wink1:

The Ottomans, between the 15th and 18th centuries, prized silence and seclusion as an attribute of majesty. In a tradition originated by the Abbasids, the Sultan was rarely seen and seldom heard. It was considered unseemly for him to speak so that when he did do so, the slightest word was a matter of great import. All official business was conducted through the Grand Vizier, who would hand over a summary document - a Telhis - for formal approval by the Sultan. The anointing of a new Sultan was a ceremony of progressive seclusion.

As visitors moved from the outermost gate, the Sublime Porte, into the palace, each successive court maintained a greater degree of silence. In the innermost court, the equivalent of the Mughal Diwan-e-Khaas, there was absolute silence. While outer rings of the palace may have had a bird court populated by exotic species, in the inner sanctum, archers were employed to shoot them down before the slightest caw or trill.

Visiting dignitaries, observing protocol, would dismount at the Sublime Porte, then walk into silence. Once in the Diwan-e-Khaas, they would be forced into an Ottoman kow-tow, their foreheads pressed onto the carpet by a guard on either side holding their arms behind their back. A curtain would lift; the emissary would be allowed the briefest of glimpses of the imperial visage before the curtain fell again. The Grand Vizier would hand over the Telhis, and that was that. No words were exchanged.
    Servants of the inner court were deaf-mutes (the Turkish word is "bezibaan" - we still use it in Urdu!*), who communicated by signing, so as to not disturb the regal silence. The sign-language of the Ottoman court is now lost to us, but was reported to have been quite sophisticated. Mute servants were still employed at the time of the first World War when the Ottoman Empire fell.
    The Sultan Mehmet II would not agree. He was driven insane by the imposed silence and tried to have it banned. He failed; the Viziers hewed to tradition and succeeded with their forced shutdown of his voice. Poor Mehmet might have enjoyed a chat or two.
    Silence meant not only that the Sultan could not speak, but also that he lived in silence. You, on the other hand, Viswa, can insert the latest iNoise gadget into your ear and enjoy bhajans to your heart's content. Or, Grandpa Metal for that matter, if you're so inclined!:lol:
    :beer-toast1:

*Consider: "...Nazar bol-thi hai, dil bezubaan hai ..." in the famous Kishore Kumar song.

Miles, M. (1999). Signing in the Seraglio: mutes, dwarfs and jestures at the Ottoman Court 1500 - 1700.

The Deaf in Ottoman Syria, 16th - 18th Centuries
    Sara Scalenghe: The Arab Studies Journal, Vol. 12/13, No. 2/1 (Fall 2004/Spring 2005), pp. 10-25.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2019
    Vaikuntha and Rihana like this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Soka,

Thank you for sharing the Turks medieval history through this wonderful response of yours. It explains how the Turks live with a lot of tolerance facing all the autocratic dictates of President Erdogan.

This pretty much sound like moving from Annamaya Kosha to Anandamaya Kosha.

This perhaps came from the Chinese custom.

I wish there actions were filmed for us to learn that sophistication. We are now settling with sign language used primarily to translate the speeches of the leaders.

Me too!!! With my chatty attitude, that forced silence was difficult. But it gave me more time to myself.

Listening to the musical instruments and for that matter even the best singers is one thing. But practicing to perfect the details in a bhajan that expresses intense devotion is quite another.

sokanasanah likes this.
  5. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I am sorry but please don't mind if I don't answer this. I'd rather not have cross-talk between my online lives. : )

6. Gauri03

When the law functions as an enforcement arm for the rich and powerful it ought to be distrusted. Your sisters can't be blamed. The irony here is that people are hailing the cops as heroes. The same ones who did not do their jobs when they should have. What makes them think these cops will protect them against a powerful adversary?

I grew up in a (extended) family steeped in Hindutva. My uncles are RSS shakha heads and the like. All the indoctrination worked until I left home and later came to the US. I was homophobic, and had a shamefully communal worldview. It took years of exposure to people from other cultures, and a diverse education to shape my liberal values. The cure to insularity is exposure — to different people and different ideas.

I am not sure what the new thread would be about. Ideas?

Anisu and Cheeniya like this.
  7. Gauri03

IL so needs to bring the *hide behind chair* smiley back.

KR ruined Rani Lakshmibai for me forever. :shakehead: Perhaps you should steer clear of it until you've read some reviews.

This is a brilliant development! I am so glad at this turnaround. :cheer:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  8. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

Lol, my mood of the day has changed already. :relieved:
    Anyways, while it lasted I was thinking to ask you for some Urdu shayaris or songs that aptly capture such emotions poetically? With translations, please. :relaxed:

9. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

Why most people in India celebrate Vigilante Justice and fake encounters? Could be new thread title. But I think we both know how the arguments will go :)

My objection is how majority reacts to such news. Unnao girl ran while she was burning but I don’t see majority voicing objection on why alleged rapists are protected.

10. Gauri03

Let me think of some to share. Meanwhile here is my current favorite from my playlist. Reflects the mood you are searching for. First time I heard it was when I saw the movie but it didn't make a lasting impression. Probably because ghoomar was hogging the spotlight. It popped up on my Spotify feed recently and I was surprised I hadn't paid more attention to it. The melody, the qawwali in the chorus and the lyrics are quite beautiful, especially in contrast to the remix pandemic raging in Bollywood right now.

ishq bhi tu mera pyar bhi tu
    you are: my romance, my love,
    Meri baat zaat jazbaat bhi tu
    my words, my caste (identity), my feelings
    Parwaaz bhi tu rooh-e-saaz bhi tu
    my flight, the music of my soul
    Meri saans nabz aur hayaat bhi tu
    my breath, my pulse, my existence
    Mera raaz bhi tu, Pukhraj bhi tu
    my secrets, my lucky stone
    Meri aas pyaas aur libaas bhi tu
    my desires, my thirst, my attire