Gabfest: And Thereby Hangs A Tail

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Cimorene, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

These aunties expressed my sentiments quite aptly and colorfully. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: (WARNING: If bad language leads to pearl clutching on your part, DO NOT click on this link. I take no responsibility for what you are about to hear! )

Jokes aside I recently found my tribes. Two forums that better reflect my world view and my interests. One of them is a high octane version of E&PG — doctors, mathematicians, economists, physicists and the like. For months I just quietly read because I was too embarrassed to talk. :blush: It's fun now. The other one is a desi hangout but with a very different demographic from IL, young professionals, mostly guys. So no, not that mad. Most people there take the same view of these events as I do which is heartening to read.

2. Gauri03

You saw that Kangana Ranaut trailer? For the JJ movie? What were they thinking! :shakehead:

3. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

That one was... :roflmao:
    Few slang I didn't get but I'm just glad I didn't! :lol: Thank you for the disclaimer! Ain't for the tender hearts like me! :facepalm: Lol, good one.
    Yeah, I get it. Managed to find other comfortable forum spaces that suit my interests and views better than here - why I'm MIA on IL, moving on already. Still nice to pop in once a while, just to catch up. :beer-toast1: So, how was Thanksgiving holidays for ya?

4. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

Err... :mask:. It didn't impress me. There was another one with Ramya Krishnan as JJ, which I kinda liked. She usually delivers powerful performances and this could be a cakewalk role for her. Think I had prefer this version over KR's. :grazy:

5. Gauri03

ROFL! Ullu-da-patha Nawaz Shareef! :roflmao:One could substitute any politician's name and that would be perfect.

Pretty great! I made turkey for the first time in my life! Stuffed turkey breast more accurately. The kids demanded we do a traditional American Thanksgiving, so I went all out. : )

My miyan ji (MJ, I like that way more than DH) is away on international travel. Suddenly I have all this time. Somehow life runs pretty smoothly and things happen on time like clockwork when he isn't around. It's like he single-handedly doubles the amount of work at home. Doesn't mean I don't want him back. : ) But short trips are good once in a while. :tongueout:

6. Gauri03

Unless KR delivers a truly powerhouse performance, that movie will sink without a trace. She just doesn't look right in that role.

7. Gauri03

There is lot to unpack here historically. One can endlessly debate the necessity of so-called ethical compromises, made supposedly for the greater good, and never truly know how an alternative would have played out. Can make for a robust discussion if one is so inclined.

Greenbay likes this.
  8. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

Please share what are those forums. I want to read intellectually stimulating discussions to enrich myself. Since I am very poor in articulation, I most probably will be in read-only mode.

9. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

I have been away from India since I am 21. Till I left, I didn’t have either the maturity or the time to dwell on burning social issues. I have 2 older sisters who were strong personalities, so they didn’t face Eve teasing or any other type of sexual harassment that plague young women, so we didn’t discuss much on those issues. Now that they are in their early 40s, we discuss some of the social issues much more freely. But their viewpoints and mine differ a lot. They have never left India and work in non-metros. They are still feisty and feminist but some of their daily grind(jugaad) is turning them to believe in right wing ideology. Not just right wing but a strong distrust in law and justice of the country as well. That’s where I was coming at. If you want to discuss this in a new thread, that’s fine with me.

10. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

Where the pics G gaaru! :smash2: Duh! :buenrollo: