1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

How To Avoid Winter Season Weight Gain...

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Needtobestrong, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

I’ve been been struggling with my fluctuating weight, with great difficulty I managed to lose about 1 or 1.5 kilos in September...but since October have gained it all back...probably the culprit is the changing weather condition,..it’s really cold in the city where I live ( India only )
    Becomes uncomfortable to go for walks..this cold weather is causing increased appetites and I crave for bigger portion sizes, like feeling like eating 3 chapattis instead of 2 chapattis..unable to resist junk food...sugar cravings...I drink the usual amount of tea like one cup but I have the strong craving to drink more tea especially in late evening time...I don’t like fried food usually especially deep fried but crave for deep fried snacks during winter!
    I just dont have self control when I’m around chocolates etc ..
    I feel there is more water retention and bloating these days..
    Though my intake of outside food is rare and I eat healthy home cooked food...
    Feeling sleepier and lazy to get up early morning, snuggle for longer afternoon nap ...just can’t stay awake after lunch and end up sleeping an hour after lunch...( half an hour gap given after eating for digestion) ..
    Of course I’m quite busy and active with household chores...I’m on my toes always with some work or the other and with young toddler..
    I’m noticing this pattern every year I,e in winter season it becomes tough to maintain weight let alone losing...
    Already I’m in overweight range I don’t wanna gain further..
    Want to know how to deal with such seasonal weight changes? any useful suggestions,
    Please...
    Specially need help with sugar and caffeine craving ...

kkrish and Vaikuntha like this.

2. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

I have the same question, in US December
    Will follow.

Needtobestrong likes this.
  3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

I was told to have minimum of 30 grams of protein after waking up.
    This, I was told, keeps carb-craving at the bay and helps reduce weight/ avoid weight gain.
    Losing Weight: Breakfast With Protein

While there is a lot of conflicting information, an average person needs 0.8 gm of protein per kilo of body weight, or 0.36 gm of protein per pound of body weight.

If you take eggs, poultry, seafood, and meat, it is easier to meet this requirement. If vegetarian, it is a little more challenging but not impossible.
    Here is a link that may help - The 17 Best Protein Sources For Vegans and Vegetarians

Now the billion-dollar question...have I tried that?
    Nope, not yet.
    I usually make a resolution on Jan 1, and begin to implement it November 30th, all frenzied. This year I have the perfect excuse to postpone it to Dec. 31st :)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Thyagarajan and Needtobestrong like this.
  4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

If people are in snowy winters, where the outside is below freezing for weeks on end, then it is best to get involved in some outdoor winter activity. The easiest, (and safest) for older people who had come from the tropics, is to buy a pair of snow shoes, go to the nearest park, and practice walking around on snow shoes. Here is a park where children use their toboggans (any plastic basket might do) to slide down hill, and parents trudge along the bottom, and watch them, take photos/videos.
    upload_2019-12-8_7-54-38.png

If you are (or feel) younger, then I would recommend you join an ice skating class in a local rink. I would recommend hockey skates for beginners, but opinions might vary on this.

Don't eat until you are really hungry, and the stomach is making loud noises about it. And then treat it with lukewarm cup of water.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Thyagarajan and Needtobestrong like this.
  5. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for your reply...actually I live in India so no snow...
    It’s damn tough to say no and not eat when I’m in a family full of foodies...I tried drinking lukewarm water but it doesn’t really help in controlling appetite..

6. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

Winter soups like cabbage soup, clear soups with vegetables and/or chicken with some chat pata salad for dinner (health bhu taste bhi). Take advantage of winter by doing good home workouts that will keep you warmed up, burns calories and keeps your skin and hair glowing. I do this and it works.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

Exercise everyday. I found this control my appetite. But I found if I get some exercise, I am careful about what I eat. It is the other days that makes me crave a lot of food. Also, I read somewhere less sleep makes you crave more carbs.

virtualkv2020 likes this.