Mind Over Matter: The Meditation Club

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gauri03, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@Gauri03,

Mostly, I was listening to the discourses made by Chinmaya or Dayanananda Saraswathi's disciples to digest Mandhokya Upanishad. They visit once a year from wherever their Ashram is in India and do a 5-7 days of discourses with side stories, etc. Normally, it is an hour or a little over an hour discourse per day and the commute is more than the discourse time. I am not sure whether there are online discourses available.

If you like to read the interpretation via a book, I am told Swami Gambhirananda's or Swami Nikhilananda's interpretation is probably the best one can read as they rely a lot on Advaita philosophy as both include Adi Shankara's commentary as well.

If you are looking for pure translation, you can rely upon Olivelle's or Hume's translation but it would be too hard to just read translation without any interpretation.

Gauri03 and kaluputti like this.
  2. Viswamitra

Experiencer, experienced and experience when integrated together becomes a flow state of mind. The mind doesn't recognize subject or object or action or space or time during this period. During this period, the mind initially facilitates one to gravitate to the flow state and then disappear completely. During this period, the peace and happiness one experiences is extraordinary. The energy level is high as nothing becomes uphill task. The name, fame, pride and ego disappears in a trice without a trace. It can happen when someone is hiking a cliff or playing a game or knitting a sweater or playing with a child or a pet or watching a breathtaking nature such as sunrise or sunset or the mountain range covered with clouds and so on. Thoughtlessness and the disappearance of the mind while in action is meditative.

3. kaluputti

kaluputti Platinum IL'ite

As far as I know, these scriptures should be 'heard' from a guru who has studied sastra and who is a brahmanishta. Listening to and clarifying doubts with the Teacher is recommended by our scriptures. Yes, Sw.Dayananda Saraswathi was an exceptional teacher. I also agree about the books of Ramakrisha Math publications.

In this context it is noteworthy to read the following as told by Sri. Ramakrishna... "Once a salt doll went to measure the depth of the ocean. (All laugh.) It wanted to tell others how deep the water was. But this it could never do, for no sooner did it get into the water than it melted. Now who was there to report the ocean's depth?" --"Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna"

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    Gauri03 likes this.
  4. Viswamitra

[​IMG]

I always thought my well-being is in not when and within what time but how I make the journey from Annamaya Kosha to Anandamaya Kosha. I said this to the kids I taught in the last class. I happened to read this comparison of Koshas with Maslow's hierarchy of needs. The four Kosha's are layers of wrappers of a precious gift that we have received in the form of life to open and enjoy the gift. We need to understand these wrappers as it is essential to understand the value of the precious gift inside.

Thyagarajan and Gauri03 like this.
  5. Viswamitra

I am a big believer in synchronizing my thoughts, words and actions. Whenever I think about something, I make a determination whether it is something I could articulate to anyone. If it is something I can't verbalize passionately, then, it is not a worthy thought. Similarly, I also validate whether my actions are in line with my words. Walk the talk is the wisdom and if I don't practice what I preach, there is a problem.

Every time, I identify that my actions were not aligned with my words, it resulted in me becoming realistic. Facade I try to create about myself falls flat inside me resulting in realizing myself and my potential. It took a long time for me to consciously compare thoughts, words and actions but I still have a long way to go.

startinganew and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

You had put it beautifully.
    2. TWA is seen in perfect ten with trapeze artists. To them it comes with ease I mean somewhat effortless. For me, at my age find tad difficult. I find it is easy and simple to say but difficult to put it action. I want to apply brake but depresses the accelerator pedal.
    3. But every deed is result of TWA.
    THANKS AND REGARDS.
    GOD BLESS.

Viswamitra likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

Dear Thyagarajan Sir,

It is hard to practice as you say. But being conscious about the need to so, helps me make some baby steps. I assume break as thought (Originator as well as Controller), gear as word (facilitator), self-confidence as clutch (enabler) and accelerator as action (actor). Motor vehicle is life. This awareness of each one of them will help me do mid-course correction. As I said in my post, I am still exploring it. Tripping and falling is okay as long as I get up again.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. Thyagarajan

:hello:But in my case often ignition key is missing.
    God- I know prayer is key to morning and bolt for my nights thanks to Mahatma.

9. Thyagarajan

:hello:what a wonderful analysis and comparison and to post it here in a nutshell!
    2. I thoroughly enjoyed that reveals vital aspects of life beneath and beyond.
    Thanks.
    Regards.

10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Actions in line with words, I understand. It is worth following in any relationship and in any communication for what one is saying to be effective.

But, about the other point -being able to verbalize a thought passionately or effectively deicing its worthiness - I am not so sure. Many times I have a thought that I like to call 'half-baked', and like an elusive memory it falls just short of being verbalized in the right words. Being incapable of too much deep, original thought I often later come across the same thought verbalized better than I ever could have. I pat myself on the back for both the thought and finding a good verbalization of it. If I had dismissed the thought as unworthy, I'd have missed out on multiple fronts.

Explaining and articulating what one knows or thinks to others is a great way to reinforce and refine that knowledge or insight. But, the ability to teach or articulate it to anyone shouldn't be a measure of the thought's worthiness. What do you say?

Viswamitra likes this.