Rip Priyanka Reddy:(

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I'd say your opinion is ideal, not unpopular. Those who are favoring the encounter with reservations/mixed feelings are doing so since "speedy trial" is a "should have", not a current reality.

anika987, shravs3 and MalStrom like this.
  2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I doubt the public will demand instant justice for any crime. And further doubt the police will jump to action like they did.

The encounter that happened is not right, but right enough given the resources and what is currently possible.

What would be rightest is that the speedy trial and other measures start getting implemented. Until those are in place, this system will do its job.

In another century, I'd have thoroughly denounced killing or punishing anyone without due process even if it takes years. Given the locations where the rape and the burning of the body happened and my own child's age, the reservations against such encounter subside faster.

satchitananda, SGBV, anika987 and 2 others like this.
  3. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

how many cases we know where botched up investigations taken place ...

so As much as I understand and have same emotions but cannot as a civilized person condone the encounter ....

Now police will undergo inquiry instead of accused

4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

People who celebrate tyranny will have tyranny visited upon them. People are short sighted, unable to see that a lawless society is a threat to us all. It is easy to celebrate such extra-judicial murders from a distance. Until one day it is your cousin, friend, colleague, who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and becomes a convenient scapegoat for an incompetent system. Then the police will shoot them in the head without due process and people will celebrate.

These are extra-judicial murders. This is not how democracies function. The judicial system however imperfect prevents society from devolving into naked tyranny. Once we normalize extra-judicial 'justice' of this sort then who will speak for the marginalized and the minorities who get 'encountered'. Even the most depraved and heinous criminal has the right to a fair trial. State sponsored killings will assuage public outrage in the short term but damage human rights in India for a long long time.

People will go back home and say 'justice was done'. Will anyone step out now, campaign and riot for judicial reform? No. Because that would take time and effort. Who's got time for that?

5. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

anika987 and shravs3 like this.
  6. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

7. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

agree totally ... anger needs to be directed to reform judiciary and delay in justice being served ...

8. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Am amazed to see some
    Women politicians who did not utter a word through last 10 days suddenly became angered women today in Parliament

9. rachaputi

rachaputi Platinum IL'ite

Yh.. and 'so many rapist are being fed in jail like dogs, why only my husband?' Actually i didn't get angry for her words, just pity over her innocence and life for being wife of this dog.

satchitananda and shravs3 like this.
  10. rachaputi

rachaputi Platinum IL'ite

and where is fire brand darling Roja? Didnt see.. any statement? Before or after?

shravs3 and anika987 like this.