1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Replacement

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by ILoveTulips, Oct 19, 2019.

1. SpringB

SpringB Platinum IL'ite

Congratulations :cheer::number_one:on your FP win. A well deserved win.

yes your explanation sounds reasonable. I was taken aback when I read that you had spent months on this story! Wow :sconf: You should find a publisher ! Will be wonderful to see it on print. Can’t wait to read your future writings :thumbup:

ILoveTulips likes this.
  2. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Haha but like Tuls mentioned, even the two female ghosts were not named too. Lizzy and Hannah were just names that the guy kept to differentiate between the two! And that's an interesting move too- not to name the lead characters and let us guessing til' the end.

puni88, ILoveTulips and kkrish like this.
  3. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Tuls, heartiest congratulations on winning the finest post! :cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer: Seriously, a well deserved win! Please keep surprising us and entertaining us with your amazing writing! :number_one::number_one:

puni88 and ILoveTulips like this.
  4. Rampuri9

Rampuri9 Silver IL'ite

Lovely story dear ILT, i m little scared to read ghost stories usually hence was just skipping team many a times, even after opening it. This month nominations dragged me here and i read the entire story in one shot.

Amazing story and depiction, enjoyed reading thoroughly. Hearty congratulations to you.

puni88 and ILoveTulips like this.
  5. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Sunpa. Glad to know that you enjoyed the story. :)

puni88 likes this.
  6. ILoveTulips

Hi SpringB, thank you for the wishes. I was pleasantly surprised to see the announcement myself. Not sure if I can publish as the story is already out in the internet. But will work harder on my next story and try to publish that. Thanks again springb

puni88 and SpringB like this.
  7. ILoveTulips

Dear Kamala mam, @kkrish,
    Rebecca is one of my most favourite books. When I read the book, I felt so much in love with it and bought few copies to give to my friends. I read Jamaica Inn from the same author and was quite disappointed, that's another story. But yes, only after reading Rebecca I understood that it's ok not to name character in the book. But the reason I left 3 characters without any name is, as sofea said, I couldn't decide to keep them English or Tamil. So after so much thinking I left the names. Thank you for your interest in the story and am happy to see your comments here..

kkrish likes this.
  8. ILoveTulips

Thank you dearie.. I was surprised at the announcement too. Sure sof, your appreciations are like recreational drugs, just to feel the high from them I would keep writing... :)

9. ILoveTulips

Hi Rampuri, glad that you pushed aside your fears of ghost stories and read this one. Happy to know that you liked it. Thank you very much for the wishes. :)

10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Wow ILT! Actually speechless on what to write after reading such amazing work. Just finished re-reading chapters 1-4 and the unread chapters 5-12 at a go. Wanting to write a detailed feedback, I was writing down couple of thoughts after each episode, and then stopped that to focus on the story. It's easily of the quality of some of the horror movies I watch with DH just because he has watched a few of my choices. In fact, couple of times, it struck me, "Aiyo, at the end of movies I can ask him why this happened, why that.. but here I cannot. I am on my own. : )" After that thought, I started to pay more attention to the story for hidden hints and clues and foreshadowing.

Before I read Sofea's questions and your responses, I had noticed that in the first two episodes the story is narrated with NNAY almost or totally not looking at Hannah and Lizzy. I re-read the first four chapters not just to recall the story, but because the episode where Mr. Ayushman is introduced is one of my favorites. Not fair to pick any particular lines, but this was beautifully done:

"His eyes have seen too much more than he says. They carry so much more knowledge but only little portion has been revealed to me from time to time. This kind of distance I had to his wisdom, at the same time experiencing his care and concern for me grown a strong feeling within me that I can trust this man ..."

Your responses to the questions and the timeline of how the plot and episodes took birth, evolved, your little writer battles with yourself : ) was as good as reading an extra episode. One can imagine that as an epilogue devoured by readers who reach the last chapter of a published hardcover book version of the story and are disappointed there is no more to read.

I was going to ask about where you learnt to write like this or how you hone it, and then read about one writer's workshop you mentioned, and about the hours it took to write each episode. Often a labor of love is what takes the longest!

I wish I could better express what a pleasure it was to read such well-written work. A few more lines from various episodes I put in a doc planning to write in feedback what I felt on first reading them are below. The best laid plans of mice and men.. Half to keep track of the story and half in just impatience to read the next line, I stopped even mentally noting down my first feeling after each sentence, paragraph. : ) So, just the lines from the episodes below:

Like many things in the house, I learned this the hard way too.

Nobody knows what they are capable of doing until the circumstance arises and fastens them to it shutting all other possible doors.

The last few leaves that still held to the twigs, stupidly assumed they have managed to survive the fall, swayed to their own final dance under the bright glow of yellow street light. Then giving up their false sense of pride, they too, one after another joined the already decaying leaves on the road.

I am glad I waited till I had enough contiguous time to read all the episodes properly. It was worth the wait.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019