1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

If It Feels Good, Do It?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Dec 1, 2019.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

And lot many are struggling to put things back together. It's not only about drugs or alcohol or vaping (a new option for smokers). For them there is a treatment or way out if they ask for. There would be some who are gone case. There would be some other cases of addictions like habitual liars.
    The bottom line would be to use logic and take lessons from past cases.

2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Isn't this thread about ronak-shonak ?

HariLakhera likes this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Those two lines you had mentioned are key. Harming others is not something that should feel good. The right thing to do is to help a woman who is stranded on the road fix her vehicle and send her home safely. There one needs to clearly make a discrimination between right and wrong whether doing the right thing feels good or not.

HariLakhera, startinganew and Mistt like this.
  4. Topaz49

Topaz49 Gold IL'ite

Perhaps, feels good now, but won't harm self later.

5. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

I am thoroughly enjoying this thread - so thank you to the posters of this thread. The words used are so simple yet at the same time I think this discussion is deep and so applicable to many choices in our life.
    (On a lighter note)
    My decision tree:- Browse IL for a few minutes? Feels good - yes. Feel right - well, yes, it doesn't harm anyone. Hmm, does it harm me - what should I be doing right now? Not browsing IL. :D

satchitananda, Topaz49 and Viswamitra like this.
  6. Topaz49

Topaz49 Gold IL'ite

OCD :tearsofjoy:

HariLakhera likes this.
  7. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

I wanted to add something to this. Religious discourses and adult movies are excellent examples you've chosen. But these are not black and white too.

Spiritual discourses - I have heard discourses which have had lasting impact on me and fall in the category you mention. But I am weary of really popular gurus who can use words to detach one from family commitments and instead donate/invest in guru seva and travels to the guru's abode. In the latter case, does it feel good: maybe. Does it feel right: no. Again the no is in my personal context. If I've chosen the path of the householder, my duties lie at home/work first.

Adult movies come in extremely varying levels of quality. A respectful one (though very rare they exist) (also can I say adult literature than movie?), can inspire a young or not-so-young couple to a level of fulfillment in their relationship that might otherwise be fraught with day-to-day mundanities. This might carry forward to a healthier household - meaning happier children, better relations with grandparents, etc. Feels good: yes. Feels right: umm-aww-maybe-no-maybe-yes. And the the umm-and-the-aww is in the context of media/familial conditioning and personal exposure, responsibilities.

8. Topaz49

Topaz49 Gold IL'ite

Can you be too self-confident? Too expressive? Too nice? Too smart? Each of these can have "feel good" aspects.

· Too much overconfidence can make one narcissistic and arrogant. (A moderate amount of self-confidence helps to be an effective leader.

· Too much Conscientiousness and the person becomes a perfectionist, unable to complete tasks because they’re not perfect.

· Too much Openness to Experience and you could be an out-of-control risk-taker.

· Too much Agreeableness and you are too nice – allowing others to take advantage of you.

Moderation in all things is the best policy.
    "Feel Good" in Moderation?

If something is too good to be true, exercise caution!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    startinganew and Viswamitra like this.
  9. HariLakhera

Yes, Amulet!!!
    Whatever it takes. Once a day or once every hour, as long as it feels good.

10. HariLakhera

Yes, the subject is as light as air and as deep as sea. It is only to be seen when the air becomes wind and the sea becomes Tsunami.
    As for browsing IL for a few minutes can be a therapy to feel good, does not harm anyone as long as the comments are not hurtful. Keep browsing.

startinganew likes this.