1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

If It Feels Good, Do It?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Dec 1, 2019.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

‘If it feels good do it’

This is the modern mantra for happiness. Happiness lies in doing what one feels is good.

May be Nike adopted the ‘Just do it’ cliche for this very reason. Some forty years back Calcutta awoke with walls painted in red or in some other color I do not remember but the message was wide and clear 'if you feel good in wearing Nike shoes, buy them'.

It is one thing to advertise for a product this way and different thing to make it a happiness mantra. On a general note, there seems nothing wrong in doing what makes you feel good and thereby happy. Resources permitting: visit places, buy new car, redecorate the house and likewise.

One may feel good in sitting for hours in a religious discourse and yet another in watching an adult movie. It that makes them happy, so be it.

Gita advises the opposite. That which feels good while doing can be cause of our misery later.

The real test of what is good or not good is the after effect.

Resources may permit to do anything but as Azim Premji of Wipro said, money does not interest him. He is known for his philanthropy. There are other guys with huge money bags but continued running after it and now police is running after them.

Similarly attending a religious discourse has profound effect on our character as opposed to watching adult movies. The first gives lasting pleasure and the second momentary pleasure and lasting misery.

So, if it feels good, do it remembering at the same time that it should last long.

startinganew and shyamala1234 like this.

2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

:roflmao::smash2:
    That instant-pleasure-with-lasting-misery sounds like pre-suhaag-raat talk from embittered auntiji's who had gone prematurely spiritual.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    Topaz49 likes this.
  3. HariLakhera

Very funny and I liked it. If it feels good, do it, and this is one of them. Conditions apply, which is mutual consent. I was not knowing IL will permit me to take the snippet in that direction.
    Once I posted - I am a hypocrite and one of the 10 ways was:
    "I pretend to respect women but see them as a sex objects all the time."
    There was such a hue and cry and objection. The line had to be edited.
    When it feels good, do it can include anything and everything spiritual or otherwise.
    BTW I have subscribed to Alright. hahahahahahhahahahaaaaaaa

4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Yes, do it if it feels good , last longer and is right also!!!!!
    Syamala

5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Hari Sir,

I prefer to replace "Do it, if it feels good" with "Do it, if it feels right". Anything done without consulting our discrimination faculty whether it is the right thing or not results in more pain latter for us. If it felt right, even if one has to face the consequences, the acceptance becomes easier.

6. Topaz49

Topaz49 Gold IL'ite

I agree
    This allows to evaluate if what feels good is also right?
    I am thinking of things like taking drugs or drinking or vaping. It feels good as long as that doesn't make you an addict and you have control over it. What felt good can turn your life upside down/inside out. It will be a hard road to put things back together.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    shyamala1234 and Viswamitra like this.
  7. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Many times we take decisions after analysing the pros and cons and considering them to be right decisions.After a few years those decisions prove to entirely wrong due to circumstances beyond our control. These decisions relate to serious problems not of pleasure yielding variety.
    Whether we take decisions based on emotion or intelligence or reasoning, they may prove to be wrong or even foolish sometimes. We have to cut a sorry figure infront of every one.Facing such insults too should be treated as learning experience.This is very common when we conduct marriages after thorough enquiry and after sometime the marriage fails or results in day to day problems.
    jayasala42

startinganew and Viswamitra like this.
  8. Topaz49

Topaz49 Gold IL'ite

I fully agree; but, that does not mean you have to throw out the decision making process. There are so many of these well thought out decisions could have turned positive except in "circumstances beyond our control" as you pointed out.

HariLakhera and Viswamitra like this.
  9. HariLakhera

Dear Shri Viswa,
    The only problem is 'right' is different with different individuals with conditions apply. Normally speaking the 'right' is adjudged by the society we live in but then the social norms keep on changing and at times we are not in a position to keep pace with them. Live in relationships are replacing the marriage institutions. Is it right or wrong, time will tell. Or may be Faulkner will prove right in predicting all relationships 'disposals'.
    I think it will be in order to do what feels good as long as it does not harm others. There can be no blanket sanction or blanket ban. Time and circumstances are great leveler.

10. HariLakhera

All our decisions are based on the time and prevailing circumstances. There is no golden rule with guarantee, as far as I think. However, there are decisions which affect me only and in all fairness I am responsible for them. One has been be ready to face the consequences for all such decisions.
    The interesting thing is that we know what decision is right and what is wrong but are forced to take the wrong decision because of practical reasons.
    I once boarded a train without ticket as there was not time to buy a ticket and made myself ready to pay the penalty, if caught. Note the word 'caught'.