1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Holding Back Poo-pee Behavior Of My Todder

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Avanti30, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Avanti30

Avanti30 Gold IL'ite

I have observed that my daughter who will be 3 years old in the next 2-3 months, holds back pee-poo and does not let it go unless she wears a diaper. She is able to communicate when she has to pee or poo but not ready to sit on her potty and actually release. She hates wearing diapers and wears potty training pants sometimes.

Currently, our situation is like -- my daughter hates diapers or do not want to wear diapers but also at the same time she does not want to sit on the potty and do pee or poo and I have observed a continuous behavior of holding pee or poo.

I am in dilemma here because if I let her be diaper free she will continue to hold pee or poo and if I continue to put her in diapers then she will be never potty trained.
    She goes to daycare and sees all of her fellow classmates using the potty.
    Can you please suggest something to me.

2. pumpkin01

pumpkin01 Platinum IL'ite

Hey, it's good that she doesn't like to wear diaper... it's one step closer to get potty trained soon. don't panic, show her some poo-pee rhymes... When she is at home remind her to visit the loo. Also tell her when you are visiting the loo, tell her ohh mummy needs to goo poop or pee....

does she hold her wee-wee when she is busy in playing/watching video ?? constant reminder is one thing which helps.. Also, speak to your pediatric for advice. Hope this helps.

Avanti30 likes this.
  3. daksh

daksh Silver IL'ite

When my son was young, we had kind of similar situation. My son knows exactly when he has to pee or poo, peeing was fine since he is a boy and can just stand and pee, but poo, he will simply refuse to use potty. Whenever he has to poo, he will demand a diaper, if I say NO to diaper, he will hold on for days together and will end up constipated. I sat with him and tried to talk with him several times to see whats the issue, he opened up after several attempts that he is so scared of sitting on the potty, scared that he will fall inside the hole and get flushed out( we were using child potty seat on top of the regular toilet bowl).

So I continued to give him a diaper whenever he has to go poo to avoid constipation, in the mean time, worked with him by showing videos, reading books, showing us using the restroom, made a big teddy bear sit on the bowl, to help him to overcome his fear. It took good 6 months to finally make him use the toilet without hesitation, but I didn't want to rush him either.

Avanti30 likes this.