1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Need Tips On Growing And Caring Curry Leaves

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Chocolatey, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Chocolatey

Chocolatey Gold IL'ite

Hi all, I have a balcony garden with few plants. Got a curry leaves sapling from a nursery. I have heard that growing curry leaves is very difficult.
    I have potting soil mix ready to pot. And got a medium large sized pot for this. My balcony gets adequate light but direct sun is only few minutes in the early morning.
    Please provide tips on potting the curry leaves sapling, caring and everything. Thank you all!!!

2. SpringB

SpringB Platinum IL'ite

going to watch this thread as I am interested too for caring tips

Chocolatey likes this.
  3. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Curry leaves grow like weeds on ground But in pot they are slow growers. The curry leaves plant which we have at our home in other city grows like weeds as I mentioned and the climate is pretty hot there all through the year. In my current house I have in pot and observed that it's taking its own time to grow. Like really really slow. Plus I stay a relatively cold place .
    So what I understand is :
    -They need good amount of sunlight for their growth.
    - they don't need much water. So watering alternate days should be fine..
    - if you do home composting then they will love that manure which you obtain after composting . For calcium use egg shells.
    - as a kid I remember my dad putting left over coffee decoction to curry leaves plant and they used to grow like weefs . Again it was growing on ground. Have tried this in my pot but hasn't helped much.
    - Lastly never give up on plants. With good care we can grow anything in pot. Sunlight very important with occasional manure , Panchagavya.
    - if you notice white patches then neem oil works best.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  4. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

I have many curry leaves plants ( in USA). First thing needed- a good size pot with good drainage. Curry leaves dont need too much water. Anyway it's good to use a plant saucer below the pot to prevent it from drying too much. It can grow in full sun or partial sun. Fill pot with potting mixture, or soil plus compost mixture, plant the seedling, dont fertilize till it has new leaves and it establishes well. It is important to have healthy roots.

Generally curry leaves flourish well in slightly acidic soils . If you are in USA you can use peat moss, fish fertilizer and cow dung manure ( you get it in home depot . I dont use miracle grow much, but it can help its growth). Or you can use acidic kitchen waste products like fermented rice water. I even add used tea bags plus egg shells. The plant grows well if temperature is close to 20 deg C or above . During winter time when temperatures are below 10 deg C keep it inside. But water only once in a while. Too much water kill the plants. Even if all leaves are gone, do the same . During spring/early summer time, if temperatures are consistently above 15 or more , keep it out side. If roots are strong it will come back in no time.

Once the plant establishes well, cut it at the top . It will help to establish new branches and new plants evolve from its roots. There are two types - thst flowers annually , you can use seeds to generate new plants or thst have flowers but new plants develop from its roots. These tips can be used for your balcony garden OP. Good luck.

If it is infected by any insects ,like aphids, isolate the plant and spray diluted soap water. It will help to remove the infestation.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  5. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

I have a baby curry leaf plant. I brought it inside due to frost. Do I put it in master bathroom- it has a skylight, much warmer?
    I have it in a pot with hibiscus, just to give it company :) Do I take it out and plant it in it's own pot? This plant is 2 inches long- baby :)

Chocolatey likes this.
  6. DDream

Let your baby plant enjoy the company of hibiscus and skylight. Don't disturb the plant now.You can replant it to another pot by next summer.

Vaikuntha likes this.
  7. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

so cute:cheer:

Vaikuntha likes this.
  8. Chocolatey

Chocolatey Gold IL'ite

@DDream Can I add powdered egg shells and used coffee grounds to the potting mix while potting new? Or as you mentioned just potting mix only?? I dont want to kill the plant.

9. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

@Chocolatey Sorry I have no tips for you. But your name and DP is tempting me to go grab a chocolate now :hearteyes:

Anusha2917, Vaikuntha and Chocolatey like this.
  10. DDream

I have used only potting mix or soil plus compost. The planting phase is important. Egg shells may be ok. I haven't used coffee grounds. You can try or wait till the plant settle well in new garden pot.

Chocolatey likes this.