Stories of the prophets

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by Yumna, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Yumna

Yumna Platinum IL'ite

In the Name of God,the Most Beneficent,the Ever Merciful !

Prophet Sulaiman/ Solomon

Prophet Sulaiman (peace be upon Him) was one of the great Prophets of Allah, who was given the most amazing gifts and blessings by the Almight God.

After the death of Prophet Dawud, his son Sulaiman inherited Prophet Dawud's prophet-hood and dominion.

Prophet Sulaiman begged Allah for a kingdom such as none after him would have.

Glorious Quran narrates,

He said: "My Lord! Forgive me, and bestow upon me a kingdom such as shall not belong to any other after me: Verily, You are the Bestower." 38: 35

Allah granted his wish and he was bestowed with special abilities that no other prophets before or after him ever had.

Nobel Quran says,

So, WE subjected to him the wind, it blew gently to his order whither soever he willed, and also the devils from the jinns including every kind of builder and diver, and also other bound in fetters. "This is Our gift, so spend you or withhold, no account will be asked." And verily, he enjoyed a near access to Us, and a good final return paradise. 38: 36-40

Not only this but Prophet Sulaiman (peace be upon him) had power over jinns and demons.

Glorious Qur'an states,

And to Solomon WE subjected the wind, its morning stride from sunrise till mid- noon was a month's journey, and its afternoon stride from the midday decline of the sun to sunset was a month's (journey i.e. in one day he could travel two months' journey. And WE caused a fount of molten brass to flow for him, and there were jinns that worked in front of him, by the Leave of his Lord, and whosoever of them turned aside from Our Command, WE shall cause him to taste of the torment of the blazing Fire.

They worked for him what he desired, making high rooms, images, basins as large as reservoirs, and cooking cauldrons fixed in their places. "Work you, O family of Dawud, with thanks!" But few of MY slaves are grateful. 34: 12-13

IN-SHA-ALLAH,TO BE CONTINUED !

SuperLily likes this.
  2. Yumna

Yumna Platinum IL'ite

Prophet Sulaiman (peace be upon him) had a mighty army, the likes of which had never been seen.

The support of jinns and demons gave Prophet Sulaiman (pbuh) a superior advantage over others, for these creatures could easily do what human beings could not. For example, one verse says: "He and his tribe see you from where you do not see them" (Qur'an, 7:27). Thus, the jinns were effective intelligence gatherers.

This verse indicates that Prophet Sulaiman (pbuh) had power over the jinns who submitted to God as well as over the unbelieving jinns. Not only did he render the demons and those whom they possessed, as well as unbelievers, harmless, but he also gave them various duties.

In Jerusalem, on a huge rock, Prophet Sulaiman built a beautiful temple to draw the people to worship Allah. This building is known as "The Dome of the Rock”.

Prophet Sulaiman had not only humans but jinn,beasts and birds serving in his army as well. One day, Prophet Sulaiman gathered all his army. Despite such a large gathering, Prophet Sulaiman’s sharp eyes noticed that one bird was missing – a hoopoe (hud-hud). It was valuable for its ability to search for water sources while the army was out on expeditions.He was upset to find that the hoopoe, was absent without his knowledge. However, the hoopoe soon appeared to explain his absence. He brought with him an account of the kingdom of Saba (Sheba).

The hoopoe said, "I have discovered something of which you are not aware. I have come from Sheba with important news. The bird continued: "Sab'a is ruled by a queen named Bilqis, who has plenty of everything, including a splendid throne. But I was shocked to learn that they worship the sun instead of who created the sun.

Solomon sent a letter to the queen with the bird asking her to submit to One God.

After reading the letter she announced in her court ,’I have decided to send gifts to Sulaiman, selected from our most precious treasure. The courtiers who will deliver the gifts will also have an opportunity to learn about Solomon and his military mighty."

Prophet Sulaiman's reconnaissance team brought him the news of the arrival of Bilqis's messengers with gifts. He immediately realized that the queen had sent her men on a probing mission thus, he gave orders to rally the army. The envoys of Bilqis, entering amidst the well-equipped army, realized that their wealth was nothing in comparison to that of the kingdom of Solomon's palace floors, which were made of sandalwood and inlaid with gold.

They noticed Prophet Sulaiman surveying his army, and they were surprised at the number and variety of soldiers. The messengers stood in awe, realizing that they were in front of an irresistible army.

IN-SHA-ALLAH,TO BE CONTINUED...!

SuperLily likes this.
  3. Yumna

Yumna Platinum IL'ite

Prophet Sulaiman returned them back with their gifts in a good manner and told them: "God has given me plenty of wealth, a large kingdom, and prophethood. My only objective for you is to worship the One God."

The queen's envoy returned with the gifts and delivered the message. They also informed her of the wonderful things they had seen. She decided to visit King Sulaiman in person. Accompanied by her royal officials and servants, she left Sheba, sending a messenger ahead to inform King Sulaiman that she was on her way to meet him.

Prophet Sulaiman asked the jinns in his employ whether anyone among them could bring her throne to the palace before her arrival. One of them said; "I can bring it to you before this sitting is over”.

He who possessed knowledge of the Book said: "I will bring it to you before the twinkling of your eye ceases and Prophet Sulaiman saw the throne placed before him, he said: "This is by the Grace of my Lord, to test me whether I am grateful or ungrateful! And whoever is grateful, truly, his gratitude is for the good of his ownself, and whoever is ungrateful, he is ungrateful only for the loss of his ownself. Certainly! My Lord is Rich beyond need, Bountiful!"

He said: "Alter her throne for her that we may see whether she will be guided to recognize her throne, or she will be one of those not guided."

Then when Queen Bilqis came, she was asked: "Is your throne like this?" She said: "It is as though it was the very same."

She was told: "Enter the courtyard." But when she saw it, she supposed it to be a pool and she tucked up her clothes, uncovering her lower legs. Prophet Sulaiman said: "It is a courtyard paved with glass.

The word used to describe the floor may indicate a particular technology which was very advanced and beyond the ordinary.

She said: "My Lord, I have wronged myself, but I have submitted with Sulaiman to the Lord of all the worlds.

The Qur'an does not contain much information about the Prophet Sulaiman's deaths. However, it does relate some important details.

His life and death were full of wonders and miracles; thus, his death harmonized with his life and glory. His death, like his life, was unique.

At the moment of his death,He was sitting holding his staff, overseeing the jinns at work in a mine. He died sitting in this position. Not realizing that Prophet Sulaiman was dead, they continued to work.

Until when his staff was eaten by the insect and it broke and Prophet Sulaiman's body fell to the ground.

Glorious Quran says,

Then when WE decreed that he [Sulaiman] should die, nothing divulged his death to them except a little worm of the earth (Expression can be thought of as referring to any animal/insect of the earth, not just the earthworm) that ate his staff; so that when he fell down, it was made clear to the jinns that if they had truly had knowledge of the Unseen ;they need not have stayed there, suffering humiliating punishment. (Qur'an, 34:14)

Source: Ibn Kathir and Adnan Oktar

In-sha-Allah...to be continued!

SuperLily likes this.
  4. Yumna

Yumna Platinum IL'ite

Among the prophets between Prophet Sulaiman and Prophet Zakariah there are some other prophets which are either not mentioned or are mentioned with very less or no details.

As the Glorious Quran narrates,

“And Messengers WE have mentioned to you before, and Messengers WE have not mentioned to you”( 4:164)

According to Ibn Kathir the great historian in his book; they include:

Prophet Isaiah

Prophet Jeremiah (Aramaya)

Prophet Daniyal (Daniel)

Prophet Uzair (Ezra)

Prophet Uzair (peace be upon Him)

Ishaaq Ibn Bishr reported, on the authority of Ibn' Abbas and others, that Uzair was a saint and a wise man. He went out one day to his farm, as was his custom. About noon he came to a deserted, ruined place and felt the heat. He entered the ruined town and dismounted his donkey, taking figs and grapes in his basket. He went under the shade of the khaiba tree and ate his food. Then he got up to look at what remained of the ruins. The people had long been lost, and he saw bones.

"Oh! How will Allah ever bring it to life after its death?" ( 2:259 Quran)

He said this not out of doubt but out of curiosity. Allah sent the Angel of Death to take his life. He remained dead for 100 years. After 100 years had passed and there had been changes in Israelite affairs, Allah sent an angel upon Prophet Uzair to revive his heart and his eyes in order for him to feel and see how Allah revives the dead. The angel said: "For how long did you sleep?" He said: "A day or part of a day." He said this because he knew he had slept early in the afternoon and woke up late in the afternoon. The angel said: "You remained asleep for 100 years." He ate and drank the food which he had prepared before he was overtaken by that long sleep. Then the angel revived his donkey.

Almighty Allah said: "And look at your donkey! Thus WE have made of you a sign for the people. Look at the bones, how WE bring them together and clothe them with flesh." When this was clearly shown to him he said: "I know now that Allah is able to do all things." (2:259)

Ibn Abbas commented: "So it is as Allah said: "WE have made of you a sign for the people." That is, for the Israelites, in that he was sitting among his children, the old men, and he a youth. He died as a forty year old, and Allah resurrected him back as forty years old.

IN-SHA-ALLAH,TO BE CONTINUED!

SuperLily likes this.
  5. Yumna

Yumna Platinum IL'ite

Prophet Zakariya/Zachariah

Prophet Zakariya (Zachariah) was an illustrious Prophet of the Israelites. He was one of the descendants of Prophet Sulaiman (peace be upon him). The name of his wife was al-Yashbi' who belonged to the family of Prophet Harun (peace be upon him). The Prophet Zakariya (peace be upon him) was the patron of Maryam, the mother of Prophet Isa (peace be upon him). He was the trustee of Hekal. He worked as a carpenter and earned his livelihood.

The Prophet Zakariya (peace be upon him) kept the torch of Mosaic law burning. He used to pray devotionally and preach zealously. His wife and he were the symbols of piety and righteousness.

Most of his kinsmen lacked in spirit of true faith. As they were seduced, they were inclined to doing evil deeds. They were going out of the right path. The Prophet Zakariya (peace be upon him) was much anxious about this state of affairs. He had no offspring and there was no suitable person to hold the office of priesthood of Hekal after his death. He did not long for an offspring to satisfy a mere human desire for one's progeny. He wanted to have a son to maintain the warmth of religious activities.

During one of his visits to the temple, he went to check on Maryam, who was living in a secluded room of the temple. He was surprised to find fresh and out of season fruits in her room. Besides him, no one had entry to her room. When he inquired, she told him that the fruit was from Allah. She found it every morning. But why was he so surprised, she asked him. Did he not know that Allah provides without measure for whom He wills?

This noble girl had opened this eyes to a startling idea. Could he not ask his Lord to bless him with a child in his old age? Even if his wife was past childbearing age, nothing was impossible for his Gracious Lord!

Glorious Quran says,

“At that time Prophet Zakariya invoked his Lord, saying: "O my Lord! Grant me from YOU, a good offspring. You are indeed the All-Hearer of invocation."

The angels called out to him, while he stood praying in the sanctuary, ‘God gives you news of Yahya (John), confirming a Word from God (Prophet Isa). He will be noble and chaste, a prophet, one of the righteous.’ 3:38-39

Source: Muham Sakura and Ibn-Kathir

6. Yumna

Yumna Platinum IL'ite

Allah said: “O Zakariya! Verily, WE give you the glad tidings of a son. His name will be Yahya (John). WE have given that name to none before him.“ [19:1-7]

Prophet Zakariya’s wife soon delivered a son, and he was named Yahya.

Prophet Zakariya continued preaching to his people even in old age.But his nation not only ignored his teachings but tortured him also.It is believed that Prophet Zakariya (peace be upon him)did not die a natural death but was killed by his people. Prophet Zakariya (peace be upon Him) had taken shelter in a tree and they began to saw that part of the tree. The Prophet Zakariya (peace be upon him) did not even sound a single cry as his body was cut into two pieces.

The family tree of Prophet Zakariya, Revered Maryam,Prophet Yahya , and Prophet Isa(peace be upon them) is closely linked.They also faced intense resistance from their own people.

Prophet Yahya/John the Baptist

Prophet Yahya (peace be upon Him)was not an ordinary child.He was granted wisdom while still a child.Even as a child,he did not fritter his time on silly things. Once, some children invited him to play with them. He replied that they were not created for play. This showed that from an early age, Prophet Yahya was single minded and serious about his purpose in life, which was to worship and serve Almighty God.

He was very sympathetic towards all the creatures of the God and a very chaste person.Unlike most other Prophets who received the revelation after they turned forty, Prophet Yahya was given sacred scriptures from a young age.

Noble Quran Narrates,

Allah the Exalted called upon him:" Hold fast to the Scripture (Torah)." And WE gave him wisdom while yet a child. (19:12).

He was so pure in behavior and thought that there was not a single action of his that disobeyed Almighty God. He was also a dutiful son, and never once disobeyed his parents. He served and honored them, being kind, patient and generous even as they became extremely old. In short, his character was flawless, never once transgressing, or showing any signs of arrogance or disobedience to his Parents or to his Creator.

7. Yumna

Yumna Platinum IL'ite

A conflict took place between prophet yahya and the authorities of that time. A tyrant king,Herod Antipas, the ruler of Palestine, wanted to marry his own niece. Prophet Yahya pronounced that such a marriage would be incestuous as it was against Torah.

The woman in question, enraged that prophet Yahya was an obstacle to their marriage, for her ambition was to rule the kingdom as queen. She kept on trying to lure and seduce the King until inflamed by desire, he promised to give her anything she wanted for her hand in marriage, regardless that the marriage was unlawful in law. She was so evil that she requested for the head of Yahya (peace be upon Him) to be served to her on a platter. The King agreed to her demand, and deployed his army to prophet Yahya’s mihrab (prayer sanctuary) where they brutally murdered him and brought his severed head to the King.

Noble Quran;

Those who said: "Verily, Allah has taken our promise not to believe in any Messenger unless HE brings to us an offering which the fire (from heaven) shall devour." Say: "Verily, there came to you Messengers before me, with clear signs and even with what you speak of; why then did you kill them, if you are truthful?" 3:183

Death is beyond our control, when and how but what is important is how we live our lives.

Source: Ibn-kathir,muslimfootsteps

IN-SHA-ALLAH,TO BE CONTINUED !

8. Yumna

Yumna Platinum IL'ite

Birth of Revered Maryam (peace be upon her):

Hannah’s pledge:

Revered Maryam (peace be upon her), who was chosen to give birth to a mighty Prophet - Isa (peace be upon him), was born at a time of social disorder. Revered Maryam (peace be upon her) came from a noble family, the family of 'Imran.

Imran (peace be upon him) was a pious, adherent, worshiping man whose family chain linked back to Prophet Dawud .Imran's wife, Hannah was childless. Whenever Hannah saw another woman with a child, her longing for a baby increased. She prayed to Allah for a child and pledged to dedicate the child to the service of Allah, as gratitude.

Quran Narrates;

Remember when the wife of Imran said, "Oh my Lord! I have vowed to You what is in my womb to be dedicated for Your services (free from all worldly work; to serve Your place of worship), so accept this, from me. Verily, YOU are the All-Hearer, the All-Knowing. 3:35

However, while she was pregnant her husband passed away. Imran did not live to see their child for whom they had so longed.

Hannah (peace be upon her) finally gave birth to a girl, and named her Maryam.

Quran Narrates;

"My Lord! I have given birth to a girl" – and Allah knew very well what she had given birth to, male and female are not the same – "and I have named her Maryam and placed her and her children in Your safekeeping from the accursed shaytan." ( 3:36)

Here it is to be noticed that Revered Maryam’s mother herself was a devoted worshiper and a meticulous mother. Who not only prayed for her newborn baby’s protection from all evils but also gave Maryam’s unborn future children (Prophet Isa) under God’s protection.

In return for her sincerity and prayer of Maryam’s mother, Allah gave Revered Maryam (peace be upon her) noble virtues.

Hannah had a big problem in reference to her promise to Allah, for females were not accepted into the temple, and she was very worried. Her sister's husband Prophet Zakariya(peace be upon Him), comforted her, saying that Allah knew best what she had delivered and appreciate fully what she had offered in HIS service. Finally, Hannah handed over the baby to the temple elders. As the baby was a girl, the question of her guardianship posed a problem for the elders. This was a child of their late and beloved leader, and everyone was eager to take care of her.

Prophet Zakariya (peace be upon Him) said to the elders: "I am the husband of her maternal aunt and her nearest relation in the temple; therefore, I will be more mindful of her than all of you."

There are two different narrations as to how the dispute was settled. The first narration states that pens that were used for writing the Torah were cast into the river. A young child who had not reached the age of puberty would select a pen and the owner of it would be the one responsible for the care of Maryam . This was done three times, and each time Prophet Zakariya's pen was chosen. The second narration states that several pens were cast out. The owner of the pen that went against the current would be responsible for Maryam's care. This was done three times, and each time Zakariya's pen was chosen.

Quran Narrates;

"This is part of the news of the unseen which WE inspire you with (Oh Muhammad). You were not with them, when they cast lots with their pens as to which of them should be charged with the care of Maryam; nor were you with them when they disputed. 3:44

Almighty chose Prophet Zakariya to be Revered Maryam's caretaker since he was the best among the people of that time. He was a messenger of Allah with the most knowledge and could convey it to Revered Maryam as well.

Prophet Zakariyah (peace be upon him) became Maryam's (peace be upon her) guardian and during the time she spent with him, he realized that she was favored with exceptional qualities. Moreover, Allah showered her with many favors.

As she grew up, she spent her time in devotion to Almighty.

Every time that he entered her chamber to see her, he found her supplied with sustenance and fresh fruits, which were out of season. He said: "O Maryam! From where have you got this?" She said, "From Allah." Verily, Allah provides sustenance to whom HE wills, without limit."3:37

This sustenance was not from creation, but rather from the Creator, the one who provides without limits. Prophet Zakariya noticed that Revered Maryam was truly blessed and motivated by the blessings of Allah; at this point, Prophet Zakariya who himself was childless asked Allah for a child in order to further carry on the message of Allah.

{Note: Prophet Zakariya’s story already shared in detail.}

Source: Ibn-Kathir, Ahmad Jibril

In-Sha-Allah...To Be Continued !

Cheeniya likes this.
  9. Yumna

Yumna Platinum IL'ite

In the community in which she lived, Maryam (peace be upon her) became known for her worship and sincerity she showed to Allah. She is especially distinguished as a woman who guarded her chastity.

Allah chose Maryam (peace be upon her) and provided her with an exceptional upbringing.

Qur'an Narrates:

And when the angels said, "Maryam, Allah has chosen you and purified you. HE has chosen you over all other women. Maryam, obey your Lord and prostrate and bow with those who bow." (3: 42-43)

One day while Maryam (peace be upon her) was praying in her chamber, an angel in the form of a man appeared before her. Filled with terror, she tried to flee, praying: "Verily! I seek refuge with the Most Beneficent from you, if you do fear Allah."

Yet, Angel Jibril (peace be upon him) introduced himself and explained that he was a messenger sent by Allah to give her glad tidings. The verses report his reply as being:

The angel said: "I am only a Messenger from your Lord, to announce to you the gift of a righteous son." 19:19

She said: "How can I have a son, when no man has touched me, nor am I unchaste?"

He said: "So it will be, your Lord said: "That is easy for me (Allah): And (WE wish) to appoint him as a sign to mankind and a mercy from US, and it is a matter decreed.'" (19:18-21 Quran)

When the angel said, "Maryam, your Lord gives you good news of a WORD from HIM. His name is the Messiah, Isa, son of Maryam; of high esteem in the world and the hereafter, and one of those brought near." (3:45)

As can be seen from the above verses, Angel Jibril (peace be upon him) gave Maryam (peace be upon her) the glad tidings that she was with child and told her "Allah just says to it, 'Be!' and it is." Maryam (peace be upon her) had never been touched by a man. In other words, the Prophet Isa (peace be upon him) did not come into the world in the normal way in which children are created. One of the greatest miracles Allah manifested on the Prophet Isa (peace be upon him) is the manner in which Maryam (peace be upon her) conceived him.

During the time Maryam (peace be upon her) remained in the "distant place", Almighty Allah supported her both physically and materially. She was totally under HIS protection and care during her pregnancy. Allah especially took care of all her needs. Meanwhile, by making her settle in a secluded place, Allah prevented all the harm that people devoid of understanding of this miracle were likely to do her. First she had questioned the manner of how that would be possible. After Angel Jibril explained to her, she immediately accepted this supreme decree with complete submission.

Source: Ibn-Kathir, Harun Yahya, Ahmad Jibril

In-Sha-Allah,To Be Continued !

Cheeniya likes this.
  10. Yumna

Yumna Platinum IL'ite

Birth of the Prophet Jesus (peace be upon Him)

And she conceived him, and she withdrew with him to a far place. Quran:19:22

So she conceived him, and she withdrew with him to a far place (Bethlehem valley,
    about four to six miles from Jerusalem). And the pains of childbirth drove her to the trunk of a palm tree.

She said: "Would that I had died before this, and had been forgotten and out of sight!"

A voice called out to her from under her, "Do not grieve! Your Lord has placed a small stream at your feet.
    Shake the trunk of the palm towards you and fresh, ripe dates will drop down onto you. Eat and drink and
    delight your eyes. If you should see anyone at all, just say, 'I have made a vow of abstinence to the All-Merciful and today I will not speak to any human being.'" ( 19: 23-26)

She brought him to her people, carrying him. They said, "Maryam! You have done an unthinkable thing!
    Sister of Harun (not the prophet Harun,opinion was that Maryam had the characteristics of Prophet Harun of being pious),that your father was not an evil man nor was your mother an unchaste woman!" (19: 27-28)

she pointed to him. They said: "How can we talk to one who is a child in the cradle?"

This is where the miracle begins.

Prophet Isa replied from the cradle "I am the slave of Allah.HE has given me the Book and made me a
    Prophet. HE has made me blessed wherever I am and And HE has enjoined on me prayer, and charity, as
    long as I live, and to show devotion to my mother. HE has not made me insolent or arrogant. Peace be upon me the day I was born, and the day I die and the day I shall be raised up alive again."(19:30-33)

The term "abd Allah" which means "slave of Allah" is an honorable name,
    which is the highest of human ranks. When one is a slave of the Creator, no one else can become his master.

It was said that Joseph the Carpenter was greatly surprised when he knew the story, so he asked Maryam:
    "Can a tree come to grow without a seed?" She said: "Yes, the one which Allah created for the first time."
    He asked her again: "Is it possible to bear a child without having his father?"She said: "Yes, Allah, created Adam without male or female!"

Quran declares;

Verily, the likeness of 'Isa before Allah is the likeness of Adam. HE created him from dust,
    then (HE) said to him: "Be!" - and he was. 3:59

That is to say the ONE who created Adam without mother and father can surely create Isa
    without having a father.

Source: Ibn-Kathir, Ahmad Jibril

In-Sha-Allah,To Be Continued !

Cheeniya likes this.