1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Traditions....what?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @Gauri03 and V sir @Viswamitra ,

You know just after I posted this snippet, I was in a gathering at a friend's place and I was given a fruit as prasada from the temple that was distributed after the Dhanvantri homa! So dhanteras I believe is actually for worshiping Dhanvantri, the God of health on Dhanvatri trayodashi! Imagine my surprise learning this - don't we all know health is wealth? So dhanteras is about wealth in the form of health and not just wealth wealth :)

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Agatha, @Agatha83 ,

Thank you for sharing with your lovely response. I grew up in a some what of a joint family and festivals were fun affairs like you mentioned. But we were a lot more traditional and following a few rituals like rangoli, lighting lamp, head bath etc were very important!

I hear you about sweets and savories and the spirit and the abundance of those days are very different from what we have now. So I am only happy to hear you say that NGOs do a good job of sharing and that indeed is the best way to celebrate the festival of lights.

It is always such a pleasure to read you Agatha. Thank you for your response.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear JS Ma'm,

You made me smile with this here! Thank you!

I am happy to read that you had a wonderful time during the festival. That is the way it should be.

As for traditions, I do believe they are meant to bring people together. I grew up in a household where my grandmothers and mother were strong women and any traditions that did not bring joy to the family were slowly left behind - especially by my grandmother. While she wasn't that easy with her DIL's all the time, it is with us grandkids, she set the ball rolling and all of us actually started following a few things to keep her happy - just like how she was willing to give up to keep us happy!

You are a treasure trove of information and you never stop to amaze with what you know and what you have experienced. The information you have shared about mangalasutra is very interesting and I kind of feel extremely pleased that we have this rich culture of paani grahanam! It is amazing I think, personally! I will not venture to speak about kanya daanam :)

I think it is the human ego and not the tradition itself and I completely agree with the idea of ending traditions that are harmful.

reading this I was reminded of "something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue" that is generally referred to in western weddings. I found this interesting to read Here’s Where the “Something Old, New, Borrowed and Blue” Tradition Comes From

It is fascinating to read all the traditions that were followed. Thank you for sharing. In a way, it also tells me that we are making progress where it matters. My snippet on traditions was only written in jest. Honestly, without parents and in-laws in our personal life to guide, I do feel what I do brings some sort of comfort to me, hopefully to my family, especially during festivals. That's all!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Meenu!

It is always so lovely to hear from you and you my friend are always there too! Thank you for your lovely response.
    I don't know about you, but I am not at all surprised that we are similar in so many ways! It is nice to have a buddy :beer-toast1:. You are absolutely right - food and music do bring people together. What are festivals if there is no food tell me! Thank you for your words about my writing. I know I am blessed in many ways when I read all the wonderful responses I get. What more can person ask for tell me. Thank you all for the love you show me!

Thyagarajan and Scorpio707 like this.
  5. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

OMG my beautiful friend! i can smell the wafting aroma of the freshly baked cookies!
    I do not know , if in real life , in current stage of life, if i ever met you with such a bowl of food ( so many ifs ) ; I may be able to return the favour :nomouth::relieved:, but yes it surely warms my heart to read such experiences!!
    It does so connect to me , as always!!
    I love this idea of following traditions and now have come to realise the importance of having such rituals ( am sure they were originally envisaged with all good thoughts like yours and mine, but along the way they got corrupted, as is with everything in life)! Heart to heart that's what it is!

Thyagarajan, Srama and Viswamitra like this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sabitha,

Sorry about taking one more bite at it. I was happy to see your note about getting a fruit as prasad from Danvantri Homam.

I read this article in Times of India only last night and your message popped up in IL.

Dhanvantri Mantra Meaning And Benefits - Times of India

Last two weeks I was sick and I heard this You Tube video as part of my healing:

Thanks and take care.

Viswa

Thyagarajan and Srama like this.
  7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @Afresh,

That is the sweetest response ever! Thank you - it is so amazing to meet like minded people, isn't it? I have been fortunate here on IL! If we ever meet, let me promise you that I will make you my bisibelebhath - I am yet to meet a soul who doesn't like my preparation :)

I don't know if it is the age thing or a growing up thing but following traditions seems beautiful now and i am glad you feel that way too! All traditions undergo change even corrupted but then that is the beauty of it, isn't it! I would be scared to be boxed into one particular kind only! So we are alike like that too! Thank you for your response. I am still smiling :)

Thyagarajan and Afresh like this.
  8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

It is always a pleasure when you respond sir. Why apologize? Please don't!

Hope you are feeling better now. I do believe that right things always come our way! Best wishes V sir and please do take care.

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  9. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

My dear d Sabita

As always awesome post. well written. I like to follow traditions and enjoy every festival. Now a days dont have strength to make for Diwali , so usually buy only. Only we two are there and how much we can eat. Now a days myhusband eats very less . I like to eat sweet anytime but he is under control. There are youngsters who also follow traditions. Youngsters have become experts in colourful rangolies and nice to see in front of some houses. We south indians put ma kolam with kavi on occasions. Now a days I am not able to bend and put kolam , so put a small kolam.

Thyagarajan and Srama like this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Viji aunty, @iyerviji

How nice to see you here! Thank you for your feedback. It is nice to see traditions every now and then and certainly during festival times, even if it is something like taking a head bath, lighting a lamp and eating sweets! I miss not having a holiday for a big festival here - you know then the feeling is very different. Since deepavali came during the weekend, it was kind of nice this time. I like padikolam too and am fascinated with the designs. It is natural to do less as we age and it certainly is nice to see that you still do what you can - that is the way it should be . How else do we youngsters learn, I mean we also need elders to look up to and follow no? Thank you for being that sharing here! Enjoy another sweet for me :)

iyerviji likes this.