1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Traditions....what?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Wow! May I come to your house please? Not just because of a tradition that is followed even now....all that yummy food on a plantain leaf? Thank you @periamma for sharing such a lovely tradition!
    Happy Deepavali!

Thyagarajan and periamma like this.
  2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear V sir,

It is amazing how there are so many traditions and how we have the fleibility of either following or making new ones - rigidity will tie us down but a tradition with loved ones, either because a well meaning friend has taught you, a parent, an elder or one has started on one's own!

And sir, you are very sweet to say this -
    I am always grateful for the support and appreciation I get here and all teh doubts that come to mind before posting disappear when I see the love I receive here in all the feedbacks, Thank you!

:)

I am not sure I have paid attention to any drawbacks other than the rest of the world passing by while I am in that moment and sir, it is just a moment but the joy of that moment helps me tide over all other minutes when I am not at all present. I am sure all of us go through such moments where it is just a flash but the story happens and we see beyond what is physically present!
    Such lovely memories from our childhood and as an adult with my children I have tried to create traditions for them without actually taking them into my nostalgic moments - I want them to be present enjoying what we are doing and have something to take forward.

Hope you are having a wonderful Deepavali!

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

And dear Syamala,

You have summed it up so well - nostalgia and carrying forward! I am always amazed at how wise you are! Thank you for always always being there - a friendship I cherish!

Happy Deepavali to you and your loved ones!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

@Srama You are welcome ma

Srama likes this.
  5. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Traditions!
    It is heartening to note that some old traditions are still alive in these far lands, thanks to the few enriched souls among us.
    All our festivals begin and end with some traditions. Diwali starts with buying metals on Dhanteras, exchanging gifts on Diwali and sister meeting brother on Bhai Duj.
    In America and other countries generation next will not carry forward these traditions.
    Back in India, they are also forgetting some of these traditions and following new ones like X-Mas and Halloween.

Thyagarajan and Srama like this.
  6. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear SRama,

Your write up was as sweet as the rava kesari I made for this Deepavali. I remember my grand mother, MIL, making tons of sweets and savories, even a month before, tirelessly making hand made murukkus, Laddu, Athirasam, delicacies which required unlimited energy, passion and time.
    Half their age, I think twice about making any sweet even for our personal consumption, leave alone gifting our neighbors. Store brought sweets are just thrown out in to the garbage bin, even if we pack it with all our love.
    The present NGOs are doing a good job of collecting home made sweets from various schools and distributing among the homeless people, sanitation workers and other down trodden people. This is the best way of celebrating the Festival of Lights, bringing some light in to the lives of people which is otherwise dark. Happy Deepavali to you and your family.

Cheers,
    Agatha83

Thyagarajan, Mistt and Srama like this.
  7. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Srama
    After following all the traditions on Deepavali day-a ritual oil bath in the early morning, taking breakfast with sweet savouries and bajji, and wearing new dresses ,I leisurely read your snippet couched in tradition and the wonderful responses there of.The snippet, as usual was very sweet.

Traditions revolve around culture. All the religions, ethnic groups and communities throughout the world have so much of traditional practices that are followed during weddings, festivals and during death ceremonies also.
    If you attend marriages of various communities in India, you will find varieties of traditions, some have reasoning and some are being followed as instructed by elders since many don't want to anatgonise seniors at home.

Buying a piece of gold coin, or a small vessel is nothing and it may stand in our memory.
    But when sales guys take advantage of these beliefs ,and people also fall for them, as though heaven is going to fall if you don't buy something in gold On Akshaya Tritiya or Danteras, there comes the trouble.

Even tying of managal Sutra or Thali had not been a vedic tradition and there are no mantras for sacred knot.There are mantras only for Kannika Danam and Paani Grahanam.( Maangaklyam Thanthunaameva mama jeevana Hethuna',Kante badnaami subhaghe'etc etc are later additions. )It is said that mangalaya sootram was a later addition to Hindu tradition after 1600 , after foreign invasions when the safety of ladies became a question mark.Even in Sangam works in Tamil, there is no reference to mangala sutra.

That is why they say that Lalitha sahasra namam in which there is a reference to " Kaamesha Baddha mangalya Sutra shobitha Kandhara"( Parvathi with shoulders adorned by mangalya sutra tied by Shiva) ' is a later composition.,compsed after the practice started.

During marriages very often there will be in fights regarding following traditions between the bride and groom's family and it would go to a serious extent of even stopping the weddings.

We love traditions as long as they are meaningful and bring cheer and radiate happiness. If the same traditions are harmful, I think we have to put an end to it.
    Good thing that they have stopped traditions of tonsuring widows and keeping them at the rear end of the house., and compelling them to wear only white dress.
    Certain traditions like fire walking in temples with kids with them, compelling one to pierce tongue ,cheeks in the name of one, breaking coconuts on the skull of devotees , very strict ritual practices during shraddha rituals, making young girls starve under the pretext of traditions on particular days not withstanding health conditions etc- do come under traditions but marginalize on blind beliefs.Giving donkey's milk or a spoon of donkey's blood to new born infants is still a tradition in some families.

The tradition of Sadhus assembling in river ghats as digambaras( nude) during certain occasions as Sangamam is stated to be a tradition and is being followed this day.When this question was raised a few years back, sadhus had replied that it needs great courage and divine power to face lakhs of people as digambaras.Some call it divine tradition and some as uncivilized.

Certain traditions are funny to see. In some of the communities in Tamil Iyer weddings ,there is a tradition that the bride is accepted as the daughter-in-law first. Mother-in-law makes the vadhu wear her saree, even if it is old,in the traditional madisar style and ties a golden string, now a days, a necklace , around her neck and hands over her to her son. All the saptha padhi etc take place while the vadhu is wearing her MIL's saree.
    The same old saree is given to all her DILs ,.By the time the last son gets married, the saree will become very old.
    I too was wearing an old saree of my husband's grandma on my wedding day. Now a days, at least they buy a new saree, MIl weras it for a few mts and makes DIL wear the same.How is this?

In olden days, some 100 years back there was a tradition of sending bhakshanams along with the bride .All the eatables would be kept in the same brass pot. in a particular order. At the bottom of the vessel there will be a small bronze pot covered with yellow turmeric tinged cloth in which Thirattu paal ( Milk koa with jagory? Next layer will be athirasams, a soft jagory sweet. Next above will be thenkuzhal, a crisp item. Next abovewill be hand murukku and on the top will be the rough and tough hardest Pori vilanga urundai, made of some grains, wheat flour with very thick jagory syrup. It would be very hard to bite even with juvenile teeth.
    This tradition was being followed in all the weddings. The significance and the lesson to the bride would be'married life is a hard path, as hard as porivilangaai urundai,very difficult to follow.( It is also known as Porul VILANGAA urundai, which means , a round object,the meaning of which is not understandable)
    If you cross the hurdle, it would be a less difficult murukku like path, not so difficult.Then you have crisp thenkuzhal, some what easy to eat. As you get accustomed to all the customs and practices in the new home, after a few years it would be soft and sweet like Athirasam and culminate in the sweetest and softest thirattupal.But how long will it take?-a life time ,perhaps!

Some of the traditions are scientific and logical. Some others are too rustic and are being followed just to satisfy elders. I hope these will vanish during the next 15 to 20 years.
    I am for following traditions which are meaningful and which have some philosophical significance and some intrinsic value which we want our children to imbibe and follow.
    jayasala42

8. Scorpio707

Scorpio707 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sabitha,

Let me start by saying how happy I am to see a snippet from you now :). I’m posting a reply after my third reading.

I beamed with joy knowing you like SRK too, I still watch his good old movies till date. Cheers to that :beer-toast1:. You have a way of having the reader hooked to you Sabitha which is why I always look forward to seeing your posts. It felt like you were taking a peek at my life in certain ways and reminding me of some simple pleasures in life.

I never give empty bowls too something I learnt from my mom as well. I never thought of it a tradition though, it was always like the most natural thing to me. You had me at this line - traditions are meant to bring people together :clap2:. So true, a twist to it which I usually say and believe is that - Food and music brings people together :).

I simply love the way you put your thoughts to words and spin a snippet like this. It’s refreshing, simple and beautiful with an underlying message always :angel:. Thanks for coming up with this.

Thyagarajan, Srama and startinganew like this.
  9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you :)

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Hariji, @HariLakhera

I will be honest. I will be the first one to say that our future generations may not turn out as badly as we think and who knows they may bring back what we have left behind. It is not uncommon for me at least to meet youngsters every now and then, born and raised here going back to India for a few years to immerse in their parents' culture and experience the work life also. I am quite hopeful and believe in them, actually!

I think it is okay to try to integrate - we do get holidays for Christmas in India and it it not a new thing. Tradition need not be just us and what we do. Don't we get to celebrate all American festivals here? I had the fortune of sharing about Deepavali tradition in my school with youngsters and they were fascinated. I do often wish that we could get a public holiday for one of our festivals here too! It is all about give and take and spreading cheer.

HariLakhera likes this.