Chatter And Banter - Politics In North America

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Laks09, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

We can get him everything but if he won't talk and the person is in no mood to listen, what do we do? I've told the girl to keep her passport and GC on her at all times and she is complying as of now. I worry about the one day she will forget her GC. It's constant stress.

Sunshine04 and 1Sandhya like this.
  2. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

A very good post, @Viswamitra. You have provided a very good and objective analysis covering all the points.

I only disagree with you here. I feel the reason US is behind is because they have not made education of younger generation a priority. In terms of native intelligence I don’t think Americans are less than any other nation.
    This decision to systematically defund and deprioritize education is a cynical one taken by politicians who prefer a less educated population which is easier to frighten and control. A fatal flaw which is ultimately going to backfire.

Vaikuntha, Laks09 and MalStrom like this.
  3. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

@Rihana
    bottom line this is a nation of laws. what Oakland mayor did was legal. If it was illegal she would be in jail, period. No blue state or sanctuary law would have prevented that. You can parse the Oakland mayors actions any way you like and claim this and that ( this is a very often used right wing tactic ) and that is your choice. For some reason you personally do not like what she did. But just because you deeply disapprove of something doesn’t make it illegal.

Actually you are mistaken. AP gov is like the Civics course I took in 7th std. you will be surprised how much makes so much more sense once you go through this or similar book. Unlike what you say What has happened recently are not at all special cases requiring special interpretation or understanding they are run of the mill gross violations of the law. Am a bit sad to see you dismiss it out of hand but again it’s your choice.

Again the issue of illegals voting in elections in CA has been a meme pushed by the right but hasn’t been proved so far. Only couple known case was in Tx and those people voted for the R’s. No response from our president or his party or favorite media organ about those documented cases.

I would urge you to check your facts with more than one outlet. it may help with the feelings of outrage you are experiencing

Laks09 and MalStrom like this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@1Sandhya

I don't disagree with you on your comment. However, the end result is the literacy of the electorate determines the quality of the governance. From that context, it is relevant whether it is caused by the lack of good education system or people lacking good IQ. In a country of immigrants with the kind of diversity our country enjoys (I wouldn't call it native intelligence), the ranking should be much higher.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    Laks09 likes this.
  5. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Yeah it should be higher and is not due to the reasons I mentioned. I think we are both saying the same thing.

Also in that link you posted earlier and then deleted for some reason I think the term basic hs education is a little misleading when it comes to US. First of all what you get here is a GED diploma after fulfilling a set number of credits. Credits for pe or yoga is equal to credits from advanced physics etc. when so many subjects essential to a basic education like civics or science are reduced to optional electives and placed on par with filler courses what are thes kids gonna pick? And that choice goes to their own detriment. By giving this kind of false choice that country is doing a disservice to their young in my opinion.

I don’t think this kind of choice is offered in other countries at such a young level.

Honestly I do think many Indian kids know what they know out of school because they HAVE to take those subjects, no choice. Most kids come out of Indian high schools with around same basic level of knowledge. thereafter there’s a sharp tapering off as choice comes into the picture.

Laks09 and Viswamitra like this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

I was watching Vice in HBO a few days back about Howdi Modi event arrangements and interview of Indian families in Texas. There appear to be a very popular Indian Gujarati billionaire who contributed for the victory of the President Donald Trump but only donating $5 million to his campaign but also mobilizing what he calls as "Hindu Americans". This is the first time I am hearing this term in the US and perhaps living in Florida, I am focused on butterfly ballot and other silly issues of how the manual counting takes place in majority Hispanic districts with no audit capabilities.

I never knew Indian Americans are now broken down as "Hindu American", Christian American", "Muslim American", "Sikh American", etc. Is that an indication of the US election now being driven by the religious beliefs and Hindu nationalist agenda of PM Modi in the US as well? Congress has been blamed for years for betting on Muslims for getting a block of votes in the election. Is this a policy the Trump campaign in collaboration with Hindu nationalists is following for the American elections?

Laks09 and Vaikuntha like this.
  7. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

you did not hear trumps ‘ I love Hindus’ and ab ki bar trump Sarkar ....in last elections .....

Laks09 likes this.
  8. Laks09

Viswamitra and Gauri03 like this.
  9. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    Laks09 and Viswamitra like this.
  10. Laks09

I read that! Tactically done.
    Pence? He doesn't like Trump, he was there to try and reign him in and since that's clearly not working.....
    IVanka? I read about the tactical mistakes and Eric taking a bigger role in the business....
    All the others are spineless.

I'm actually worried he will get impeached. Imagine America under Pence!