1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mother Wants To (waste) Spend Too Much Money For Religious Ceremony

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by ATI, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Hugs, I totally understand what you're going thru.
    My dad gave mom monthly allowances, she couldn't spend much back when we were kids. Dad took care of everything. I saved money to buy apt as suggested by dad.
    Immediately after wedding, I bought a flat. As she never had any functions on her own she took in charge,
    Mom started interfering with house warming ceremony. To buy silk sarees read kanchivaram ones for her sisters and sils. because of that I had to buy for my husband's aunts as well.
    I shot my budget so up, I was working for 5 yrs only not in sr position.
    Same with return gifts, my budget was 100 inr, mil said it will be cheap. Then again budget increased .... same with food.
    Imagine because of 2 moms HiFi show I had to go without fridge, washing machine, tv for 3-4 months.
    I didn't want to buy them in emi, adding to home loan.
    IMHO, don't buy sarees for aunts they will only complaint say color not good, texture not good. Etc
    Plus huge drama. Not worth it. Tell mom dress only for immediate family.
    Both in-laws, siblings, niece nephews.
    No gifts for people in India.
    As of now tell will give donation to orphanage old age homes not temples.
    Enough spending for relatives who don't call text for Diwali

Rihana likes this.
  2. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

With above mentioned drama, affection struggle. I chose minimum function for my child's ayush-homam. LTD guests in temple, wrapped up early. Elobarate breakfast wrap up by 11 am. I had to spend less money, no problem. I told everyone no gifts pls. I donated chunk for orphanage for food, dress. I felt content. Though my extended family commented for minimum function not spending too much on photo, hall, return gifts.
    Whatever you do for extended family it will only generate comment, gossips. Heart breaks.

People think on $$$$ , if she can spend 10k$ then how much she has in her Swiss Account.
    Tell mom you 10k$ is this much in inr, can conduct a wedding in it.