1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Safe Way To Dye Hair With Henna

Discussion in 'Hair Care & Hair Styles' started by SuiDhaaga, Oct 19, 2019.

1. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

2. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

Here are the traditional Indian methods to dye grey hair using natural henna.Henna is a natural dye but when used alone can sometime dry the hair, so many people prefer the gloss treatment.Gloss implies conditioning and moisturizing ingredients such as curds,fenugreek seeds,egg,coconut milk,hibiscus leaves,aloe vera gel and other natural conditioners.You can choose one or few of these ingredients that suits you.One can choose to skip egg and add coconut milk instead.

Henna gloss to cover greys and condition the hair
    Bring a big cup of water to a boil, add a tsp of instant coffee powder and two black tea bags,simmer for a while till the decoction reduces to half the amount.Squeeze and discard the tea bags.When the decoction cools down mix with 3 tbsp of pure henna powder (Godrej Nupur Henna is good) in an iron container, add a tsp of Eucalyptus essential oil (this not only helps in giving a darker color but also helps in overpowering the odor from egg),mix well and let stand overnight.

Simultaneously soak a tbsp of fenugreek seeds in a small mixie jar in enough water overnight.Grind the fenugreek seeds into a paste,add 4 tbsp curds and grind a couple of times till it becomes soft,keep aside for 30 mins to 1 hour. This gives enough time for the fenugreek mixture to thicken up.Whip again to make sure there are no grains left.

Just before applying add an egg to the fenugreek mixture and grind again,this is now a very soft and thick mixture.Mix in the fenugreek mixture with the henna mixture.

Application - Separate the hair into sections and apply starting from the hair roots till the ends, make a bun,wrap head with a cling wrap or wear a shower cap.Leave for 3-4 hours. Wash with cold or luke warm water.Dry the hair naturally.Oil hair before bed time, leave overnight and take head bath with a herbal shampoo the next day.Repeat the gloss treatment once a week or every 2 weeks as desired.

Note - It is always recommended to do a patch test to make sure one is not allergic and use pure henna.My sil used this and reaped benefits.I am now a fan of this gloss as it not only dyes the grey hair but also makes the hair bouncy.

Henna Indigo gloss to cover greys and condition the hair
    Bring a big cup of water to a boil, add a tsp of instant coffee powder and two black tea bags,simmer for a while till the decoction reduces to half the amount.Squeeze and discard the tea bags.When the decoction becomes luke warm mix with 3 tbsp of pure henna powder (I use Godrej Nupur Henna powder) in an iron container and let stand overnight.Henna needs to be soaked overnight to release the dye.Simultaneously soak a tbsp of fenugreek seeds in a small mixie jar in enough water overnight.

In the morning grind the fenugreek seeds into a paste with 4 tbsp curds.Grind well till it becomes soft,keep aside for 30 mins to 1 hour. This gives enough time for the fenugreek mixture to thicken up.Whip again to make sure there are no grains left.

When you are ready to apply,add 3 tbsp Indigo powder (I use Ancient Veda) with a pinch of salt to the henna mixture and let stand for 15 mins.This time is enough for the indigo to release dye.Add an egg to the fenugreek mixture and grind again,this is now a very soft and thick mixture.Mix in the fenugreek mixture with the henna indigo mixture and apply immediately as mentioned above.

Note - Remember to add a tsp of Eucalyptus essential oil to henna while soaking, it not only helps in releasing a darker color but the fragrance doesn't let the odor from the egg overpower.I have tried and it works!

Henna walnut gloss
    I got an interesting natural hair dye recipe from an Ayurvedic expert.I once tried pounding the black walnuts but were too hard to powder them into a fine texture, I sieved it and added to my henna, it did give a darker shade compared to using just henna, but it’s not worth pounding them at home.

Here are a few easy options
    • Get the black walnut hulls powdered at a mill.
    • Purchase the black walnut hull powder from Amazon.
    • Soak the broken black walnut hulls for at least 12 hours in water,cook for sometime,let cool and strain the decoction and use it for mixing henna.
    For a brown shade - Mix 1 portion of black walnut hull powder with water and let it soak for 12 hours.Mix 3 portions of henna powder with walnut juice.Add 1 tsp of eucalyptus oil for a darker color.Leave aside for 3 hours.Just before applying you can add some conditioning ingredients such as egg or egg white and curds,mix well.Apply and leave for 3-4 hours,wash.Repeat every 2 weeks or once a month as desired.

If you want to go 100% organic (chemical free) you could use any of the the above henna glosses or one of the following natural hair dying methods twice a month or as needed.
    • Use whole black walnut hulls or in powdered form,the organic powder is available in stores or online.check this out natural hair dye with black walnuts!
    • You can make your own Ayurveda hair dye using garlic peel and olive oil.Roast lots of garlic peel on a slow flame till charred into an ash.Sieve to get a fine powder.Alternatively you can also try to find garlic ash from an Ayurveda store.Add 100 ml extra virgin olive oil to a tsp of this ash,mix well.Store for 7 days in a glass jar at room temperature away from sunlight.Apply as a hair dye, leave overnight and take head bath.For best results,leave for 2-3 days and wash.This hair dye gives a natural look and lasts longer.It also controls hair fall and keeps the hair healthy.
    You can try also any of these Ayurveda remedies which works when done consistently over a period of time.

Hair pack remedy for grey hair
    Reduction of melanin leads to greying of hair.This is a natural process which happens as we age.Mix 1/2 cup curds, 1 tbsp black pepper powder, 1 tbsp lime juice in a bowl.Apply to the head,leave for 30 mins and wash.Repeat this once or twice a week for at least 3 months. This hair pack stimulates melanin which arrests greying of hair.

Minaz from Hair Buddha is a hair expert.Sharing her post on hair darkening rinse.Hope this helps.How To Cheat Grey Hair: Darken Your Hair With This Herbal Rinse - hair buddha

Hair oil remedies for grey hair
    • Powder 15 black pepper corns into a fine powder and add to 250 ml of pure unrefined coconut oil.Simmer on a slow flame.Remove and let cool,strain.store in a glass jar.Massage your scalp and hair gently with this oil everyday.Your grey hair will eventually turn black.
    • Mix a fist full of curry leaves to 3 tbsp coconut oil,cook on a slow flame till the leaves turn crisp.Remove and let cool,strain.Store in a glass jar.Apply to scalp and hair,massage for 15 mins and leave overnight or at least 15 mins and take head bath with a mild shampoo.Repeat 2-3times a week.
    • Mix 4 tbsp mustard oil in a pan with 1 tbsp fenugreek seed powder and cook on a slow flame till the oil gets heated.Do not let the oil smoke.Remove and strain,store in a glass jar.Apply to scalp and hair regularly.
    Note - Coconut oil is extracted in two ways, from dried coconuts and coconut milk.Preferably use an unrefined coconut oil (such as Nutiva Brand) that has been extracted from coconut milk.Most people from Kerala make their coconut oil from coconut milk - an ancient secret for their gorgeous thick hair!

Apart from the above, eating an amla or a tsp of amla powder everyday works as an anti aging agent.Also include biotin, zinc, iron, iodine and enough protein in your diet.I am more inclined towards organic Products,but that's just me :)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    creativemumma likes this.
  3. virtualkv2020

Beauty expert Shahnaz Hussain’s tips to dye hair using henna

1.Soak a handful of dry amla in about 2 to 3 cups of water overnight. The following morning, strain the water, but do not throw it away.Grind the amla. To the henna powder, add the ground amla, 4 teaspoons each of lemon juice and coffee, 2 raw eggs, 2 teaspoons of oil and enough amla water, so that the henna mixes into a thick paste. Keep the paste for two to three hours and then apply it on the hair, so that the entire head is covered. Keep it on for at least two hours, before washing it off.

2.Beetroot tints the hair dark red or magenta. Beetroot juice can be added to henna to give a rich burgundy colour to the hair. Beetroot can be boiled or pressure cooked. Strain it and use the water to rinse you hair, or add it to the henna. Avoid using shampoo immediately after rinsing your hair. Beetroot water can also be added to other hair packs.

Beetroot henna gloss
    For this grate a medium sized beetroot and pressure cook it in some water. Remove and grind into a smooth paste.Strain the juice and mix it with a cup of henna powder,1 tbsp lemon juice and 1 tsp of eucalyptus essential oil for a darker color.Leave it overnight in an iron vessel. Add 1/4-1/2 cup of curd to it in the morning (you can also add other conditioning ingredients like an egg or little coconut milk).Apply to scalp and wash with water after 4 hours for an auburn tinge.Oil hair at bed time and take head bath with a mild shampoo the next day.Repeat this once a month or once every 15 days.

4. virtualkv2020

5. SuiDhaaga

Wow .... So many resources!!! ... I shall start reading!

virtualkv2020 likes this.
  6. virtualkv2020

Nice...but remember henna only colors the grey hair.

7. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

I use banjaras naturals henna. Gives a burgundy shade.
    Its better than nupur . 61-r-G1T5CL._SY355_.jpg

virtualkv2020 likes this.
  8. SuiDhaaga

Oh ..... but I wanna dye hair. To try something different.

9. SuiDhaaga

Ohhhhh, burgandy....... I like ......

10. virtualkv2020

Aree yaar Henna is a natural herb that dyes grey hair and conditions it.If you want to dye your hair to try something different then you can only do it with regular hair colors however even God cant save your hair from the hazards caused by chemicals.