1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Warding Off The Evil Eye

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

Why bother who makes fun of? Certainly ISRO chief and our defense minister didn't care themselves (the latter is also partly about PR, I know, I'm not denying).
    As I said, Lemons, lemonades are fine by me....unless it's voodoo charmed! :yikes::lol: Now, that is something I will call out. :wink1:

Anusha2917, Balajee, Mistt and 2 others like this.
  2. Agathinai

Agathinai Gold IL'ite

Religion and superstitions are quite interlinked. In India it’s very common and in households we do many things which are superstitious in the name of religion. I have done and it hasn’t harmed anyone and these we can even say as traditions. What are traditions; they are mostly religious activities which has superstitious beliefs in them. My mum had this Dhristi removal for kids sake and we had been continuing same; has it harmed others- no and since I have come across only similar relatives or friends where it is common practice, none seem to be saying anything weird. It will be looking weird in the eyes of the westerners though.

This nazar thing isn’t unique for our country. Many countries have similar rituals, some in the form of sacred wrist bands which are also religious based.

Our marriage, or even any special occasions like housewarming or whatever is based on astrology which will be looked as superstition by many countries. Astrology is linked with religion and will have many superstitious actions.

My point is unless anything is hurting others personally these beliefs, rituals and so called traditional practices will always be there as kind of link to our culture. Every religion in this world is fraught with such practices.

Coming to the actual action here, it doesn’t look good for the public display of such rituals by a person in political power. India is a secular country and has many religions and each with it’s own set of superstitious beliefs and rituals. In such a country to showcase a particular religious ritual doesn’t look good, let alone being ridiculed by other countries.

Would cutting a ribbon done the job or just nothing at all would have been suffice.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    Rihana, shravs3, kaluputti and 2 others like this.
  3. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

The defense team that had gone to France for the initiation event actually had a Muslim and Sikh AF wing commanders, neither bothered about the lemons or the rituals whatever. No threat to the secular fabrics of India, all iz well. We should instead focus on welcoming the jets into our defense fold rather on these trivial lemon matters!

kaluputti and Anusha2917 like this.
  4. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Thagu sir. earning a living is a good thing but the question arises is it earning an "HONEST" living? Earning your daily bread by feeding on someone's fears and insecurities is certainly not honest living. On
    telemarketing programmes you can see all sort of yantras like ones to protect you from Shani's malevolent look or one to bring Lakshmi knocking at your door are on offer. For me these are nothing but con games.

Thyagarajan and shyamala1234 like this.
  5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Muslim women are in burqa to attract attention? Well that is an interesting take! Just make sure that no none issues a fatwa against you. Superstition is an industry . At some stage or other it always makes your wallet shed weight.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

m.women go in burka so that they do not become object of attraction. The black covers and protects them from undesirables.
    Sorry that I had mentioned " attractive." Thanks once again for correcting me. No fat-- pl.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  7. kaluputti

kaluputti Platinum IL'ite

It might be true, burkha I mean.......happened in real life... a shopwallah of a diff religion had extra marital affair with a (married) muslim women customer...you know what he said about falling for her? "Inspite of myself, I fell for the most attractive eyes visible through the burkha....may be an excuse, since not all may have such experience ..."but a small portion of something in a large space does attract ...making one ignore the rest of the space."...like many who do believe in this and wears symbols, amulets across cultures throughout the world even today.Only 'when in Rome follow the rules' and not use 'swastic' in Germany...ha..ha. All said and done this issue has fed the social media industry the necessary fodder to thrive.

Rihana, Agathinai and Balajee like this.
  8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Viswa brilliant idea!!!!Too bad Rahnath Singh or his minions didn't think of it!! A large Drishti doill around the plane's neck. I am sure they will correct this mistake in future Rafale deliveries. I only hope that that the doll won't become an albatross around the Rafale's neck. As for Hitler's fan following, I think it was during Colonial days when hatred of Brits often overrode all rationality. Yes RSS is very much inspired by Nazis.

Vaikuntha likes this.
  9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Hope ISRO chief's grandma's aunt was not consultant for Mangalyan launch seeing nothing good came out of it. But some godman, allegedly a mathematician and amateur astronomer was involved in the program .

Vaikuntha likes this.
  10. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Kohvachn, Crushed lemons could also symbolize what this govt plans to do with opposition and any kind of dissent with the wheels standing for our draconian sedition law. The very fact that superstitious rituals take place shows that they have already harmed the mindset of the performer of these rituals.