1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Public Schools Vs Private Schools In The Usa

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Angela123, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

Dear ILites,

Please provide your opinion on this matter. Do you have kids attending public school/private school? Why did you decide to send them to that particular school? How did you ask around about the pros/cons?

As of now my kid attends third grade in a Blue Ribbon Public school and we chose it because this is our local school. Never crossed the mind about private school when the kid started. Please share your thoughts!!

2. deepthivinayak1

deepthivinayak1 Gold IL'ite

My elder one going to public school from day 1 till now(9 years). We chooses public school for 3 reason.
    1. School is free. Financially it is big amount we saved.
    2. School bus available.
    3. School is close by and felt my kid learned well and improved in public school (he didn’t go any private school,but public school teacher and teaching are good too)
    if you choose a good school district and good rating school, don’t have to worry about kids education.
    Before selecting apartment/condo/own home,we should check school rating and reviews. Based on that, we moved.

Angela123 and Sunshine04 like this.
  3. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

4. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Depends on your income level. Top rated private school(cost ranges 30-40K/year) including extended care. The reason being parents don't need to be involved in school work and there are absolutely no volunteering needed from parents side. The students to kids ration is generally 1:15 in private schools while it is higher in public school. It is not that easy to say what is best. It depends on kids too.
    With Public school if you have good supplemental program with daily involvement from parents you can achieve similar results. It depends on how much money and time you have on your side.

Vaikuntha likes this.
  5. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

My kid's school is Magnet / charter school with specialization, along with blue ribbon. Consistently getting blue ribbon.
    So we chose that school.
    My kid attended Pvt school till Kintergarten.
    We chose public charter school because I couldn't find any secular school. Pvt schools near my place are religious based. Public schools are diverse, moreover kids face real world in public schools.

Sunshine04 likes this.