How Do You Manage This Situation ??

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Oct 1, 2019.

1. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

This is very important - you need your DH's support - use all you have to make him understand this is important to you, you need his support and encouragement, and things will get better in 1-2 years.

This one I differ in opinion , get daycare arrangements for school holidays - depending on DH to work-from-home, and take care of DD might be too much for him . Not all men are good at multi tasking And this will add pressure in your relationship. But his get is buy in drop DD at daycare/before school care etc.

anika987, Vaikuntha and Amulet like this.
  2. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Can you check with school for after day care
    Usually it's less expensive and safe.
    there is a waiting list for that.

Can you or your husband drop your kid, school starts around 8am or so.
    Few day care offers per day charge , you can use them for holidays.

Additional expenses on buying dinners and quick fix meal options.

If you're a citizen, or PR holder why don't you take up any franchise? Like Kumon, mathisum, oodles
    Or any after school tutoring academy.... For SAT etc.
    I understand you're a trained classical dancer, living in bay area by teaching classical dance per student it's 15- 20$ per hour.
    You don't have to run dance school, you can join any school as teacher.

Running a business will give you more confidence and you can be your boss!
    Your relatives and friendenemies won't bother you

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  3. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Frankly, given the circumstances, i think this position is a waste of time. I don’t know where you live... but $10/hr is minimum wage. Travel and childcare would make your salary meaningless. There are far more lucrative opportunities, if you are willing to challenge yourself. Why not consider a non traditional job? Like tutoring or teaching ($15-20/hour cash and flexible hours), working at a tuition center (like kumon), a brand ambassador position (basically talking to people and letting them try things- it’s weekend work, but you could get free stuff and better pay), train to be a yoga/Zumba teacher (my previous job’s executive leader moonlighted as a Zumba instructor). And it’s the season for seasonal jobs. Costume stores and Halloween haunted houses hire seasonal work staff. Christmas stores are also hiring. And literally every retail store would be hiring seasonal workers. I recently found an interesting opportunity of a behavior therapist position where you work one on one with autistic children. It’s really fun and relatively easy, especially if you already know how to handle kids.

If the point is to get a new experience and not to make money- find a fun job, that gets you an opportunity to meet different people and get fun perks.

sindmani and anika987 like this.
  4. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Op, you’re a trained classical dancer? Omg! Why aren’t you teaching, even just a beginner class?

If you’re in the Bay Area, $10/hr is nothing. I wouldn’t consider anything under $18/hr because it’s more trouble than it’s worth.

anika987 and Amulet like this.
  5. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

A bcba degree is needed for this.

anika987 and Angela123 like this.
  6. vjan29

vjan29 Platinum IL'ite

You will pay only 10% as tax in my opinion becoz your over all income for the whole year will be still lesser. For every $10 your earn you will be pay only 1 dollar as tax. Not sure which country you live, but in most country the starting slab is 10% only. The more you earn then more tax you will pay. So, for time being don't worry about that. Keep continue going for the same job until you secure another job with good pay.

anika987 likes this.
  7. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

Regardless what others say, you should take your own decision anika987 ! If this job gives you good experience and lead to a better job sooner or later, you should consider it. When you start a job, there will be other opportunities open up. That is usually the case. If this job is the industry that you want to work in future, may be this is a good start. Did you ask around what the before and after care costs are? Also, instead of 8-5 see if you can work same hours but more like 7-4 or 9-6 so that you don't have to pay for one of the day cares? Or you can get started and quit the job if it doesn't work out your way!

anika987 likes this.
  8. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Hi all..am just going to request a change in timings so that I don’t need to pay for atleast one of the daycares..

Also..at what age can a child be alone in the house?

For eg: some days have school only like 11 am to 1.30pm...I have seen kids being alone at home when parents work.just wanted to know which age is safe and legal?

vjan29 and Caughtinbetween like this.
  9. RRAJ

RRAJ Gold IL'ite

$10/hr is not worth for corporate jobs. Even so many wfh jobs are paying that money. Your husband's points are very valid. It will cost you more than what you are earning and the net salary will be very less after taxes and all. Also 13 and older can officially stay alone at home. You can use time wisely to get some certification and go for high paying job. Even if you change timings and pay for just after care it's not worth it. It will be added stress only for all inc your kid in the end.

anika987 likes this.
  10. beingmom

beingmom Silver IL'ite

Anika,
    In your situation, I'd look for a remote job rather than $10 clerical role. By taking this job, i'd probably be losing more time and money than gaining anything (think of the money spent on clothes, gas, car depreciation, day care etc).

You can even take beginner bharathanatiyam classes or assist a teacher, take tutoring online or even provide after-care for other kids. They might pay more than your current job without losing anything you had before taking this job.

anika987 likes this.