1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Experience In Rwanda - A Heaven On Earth

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SGBV, Sep 26, 2019.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

THE REAL VOYAGE OF DISCOVERY CONSISTS NOT IN SEEKING NEW LANDSCAPES, BUT IN HAVING NEW EYES.

I must thank my career for giving me greatest opportunities to travel, live and enjoy different places of the globe, which I enjoy to the fullest.
    I've been to so many countries across the globe, and each remain a pleasant experience in life.
    Great things never come from your comfort zones. I believe in that. Hence I often go out of the box, to find greatness elsewhere!

My recent travel destination was Rwanda. I stayed there for 1 year!

Rwanda. The country’s name rings with bloodshed, anguish, and the terrors humans are capable of unleashing. Just 25 years ago, Rwanda faced perhaps one of the biggest tragedies ever to occur on planet Earth. With nearly 1000,000 people slaughtered by their fellow citizens simply because they were of another ethnic group, Rwanda is usually looked at through eyes of fear and also pity.

However I have a very different, rather positive story to share here!

Rwanda is the most cleanest country that I have ever visited. Unbelievable, isn't it. But that's the truth!
    The government of Rwanda has a policy of refraining from using polythene/plastic and only making use of natural, biodegradable materials. The people of the country adhere to this strict rule for the past 1 decade to make their country a heaven on earth.

Every month, they celebrate "Umugunda" - a communal day, that often falls on the last Saturday of the month. That's an official holiday for all.
    People gather from their homes to clean their surrounding during the first 1/2 of the day. Everyone is expected to actively take part in such communal activity regardless of their race or class.
    You can see a doctor and a laborer sharing community work together.

In rural villages, there is a community kitchen, where potlucks are shared for all during that day. In the city, famous restaurants sponsor foods.
    After lunch, the neighboring community gather at one place to discuss any issues pertaining to them. It can be anything such as religion, health concern, security, climate issues etc..etc...
    The community tries their best to resolve these issues within themselves, but if that is serious, the president takes this forward to the government.
    During each "Umugunda" they follow-up the progress of their petition.

Rwanda is also the only country where ethnic identity is something totally prohibited following the Rwandan Genocide - The Rwandan genocide, also known as the genocide against the Tutsi, was a mass slaughter of Tutsi, Twa and moderate Hutu in Rwanda, which took place between 7 April and 15 July 1994 during the 100 days of Rwandan civil war.

Now that, every Rwandan citizen is considered to have one ethnicity regardless of their differences. They are Rwandan, and that's it.
    Given the sensitivity of the past, it is even a crime to discuss or reveal your ethnic origin in public. This eventually made Rwanda one of the most peaceful country on earth as of now.

Their cleanliness and peace is not all they have to boast. Rwanda is the only country that has 68% of the parliamentarians are women. Gender equality is something they follow from the heart, and that is showing everywhere in the country.

Apart from the man made wonders, Rwanda is also wonderful in terms of weather, nature, hospitality, roads etc..etc..
    Lake Kivu is what comes to mind whenever I think of Rwanda. The huge, yet silent lake is part of the great lakes of Africa. The lake is surrounded by beautiful mountains with settlements around the shore.

Apart from that, Rwandan's Tea (Of course I love tea from Sri Lanka, but this is the best in Africa I guess), Coffee, Handicrafts, and organic vegetation are the best of the lot.
    Specially I love their banana. I've never tasted such a heavenly fruit in my life. You need to experience the taste to see how different it is from other carbonated bananas.

If you are a wild-life person, you gotta enjoy Gorilla safari, Gorilla trekking, volcanoes mountainous ranges, bat islands etc..etc a varieties of captivating wild life encounters await you there.

Rwanda has it all – stunning fascinations, history and culture, beach and lakeside attractions, amazing landmarks, lively nightlife and friendly people.

With such a rich experience, I came back to my home land not only with a sense of satisfaction but also with the wisdom & knowledge taken from the amazing people living there!

In a couple of months, I should be prepared to pack my bags for the next destination. I hope God has prepared some fabulous place this time as well :)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019

2. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

You mentioned everything so nicely and beautifully that one can get the clear vision of everything...All the best for your future trips. Would love to read more about them. :blush:

SGBV likes this.
  3. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

@SGBV thanks for sharing, it was so nice to read this , you make me want to visit Rwanda.

Lucky you!

SGBV likes this.
  4. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Even now Rwanda brings to my mind the Hutu-Tutsi conflict and the mass murders. We tend to dismiss Africans as just "blacks." But Rwanda shows even though similar in colour how racially diverse they are. They speak the same language, follow the same Catholic faith but you can tell them apart.good to hear something nice about Rwanda.

SGBV likes this.
  5. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Beautiful Description @SGBV .
    Yes like sunpa said reading this makes me want to visit the country. :)

SGBV likes this.
  6. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Thanks @messedup @SunPa @Anusha2917 for your wonderful comments.
    In fact, I too had a different vision about Rwanda, specially after watching so many cruel clips of the genocide matters.
    I didn't even know Rwanda is green until I searched about the country just before my journey.
    But my experience was 100% different from what I had imagined. That's why I've taken this initiative to share my views to those who have similar perception about Africa, and specially Rwanda as me.

Exactly... The same goes from their end too.
    When I said that I came from Sri Lanka, they didn't even know such a country exist in this world. They consider every Asian either as Indian or Chinese. Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Japan, Pakistan etc..etc.. are still unknown to many.
    They don't even understand that we have different culture and different faith etc...
    I used to laugh looking at their poor knowledge despite of being educated. But this is exactly what it is when it comes to our knowledge about Africans.
    How many of us know Africans have differences, in fact facial, cultural, bodily, and so many other differences among each other?
    How many of us know those countries and where are they in the map? Nope!
    Its just the lack of exposure!!!

Rwandans are Catholics, blacks, Africans, and speak the same Kinyarwandan language. Yet, you can easily differentiate a Tutsi from a Hutu just by seeing them.
    And there are Tutsis from Burundi, and Hutus from DRC congo the neighboring countries, who look very similar to these Rwandans in every way.
    Like Tamils of Sri Lanka, Malaysia, and India look alike in many ways despite of living in different countries.

Anusha2917, Rihana and Thyagarajan like this.
  7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Besides Rwamda Burundi and Democratic Republic of Congo, there are also Tutsis in Kenya but they are called Watusis there.

SGBV likes this.
  8. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

First of all I appreciate your positivity. There is always something positive and it all depends how we look at it. Most of us have some preconceived notions about other countries, particularly in the Africa, based on what we read and hear.
    It is good that the country learned a lesson and is peaceful now. I am sure the rules are tough and evenly enforced. This sadly proves that people need tough rules to behave.

SGBV and Thyagarajan like this.
  9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:@SGBV
    :clap2: Your choosing to post of your travel experience with a brilliant quote
    “The real voyage of discovery consists, not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes” deserves standing ovation.

2. It demonstrates your profound love for lands hitherto unknown or less known for its people and performing government and their republic set up. It is no wonder peace and progress prevails in Rwanda as 66 percent of their government constitutes “VOICE OF WOMEN”.

3. Somewhere it is said that when one casually walks with Nature, receives far in excess than he or she seeks.

upload_2019-9-29_12-58-56.jpeg

4. India had contributed in greater measure to the development of Rwanda and bilateral relations encompasses many economic spheres of cooperation in education and digitisation and solar energy.

5. Benefits are gleaming in your description of the place and people of that small Nation which earlier was plundered in civil war.

Thanks and Regards.

God -black or & white - all are alike!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    SGBV likes this.
  10. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Wonderful write up Mam. Speaks of the determination and conviction of the people.Thank you for the valuable share.
    jayasala42

SGBV and Thyagarajan like this.