Chatter And Banter - Politics In North America

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Laks09, Sep 18, 2018.

1. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

After watching Trump denigrate everyone other than his base on a daily basis I find it hard to muster any outrage at Mrs. Obama's comments.

Gauri03 and Afresh like this.
  2. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

I think the critical sentence in that article is this: "Fox News’ Sean Hannity and others ripped the former president’s wife — for supposedly insulting divorced dads everywhere."

It is faux outrage, manufactured to distract from issues of real import. Given that the ideal of a marriage is "... till death do us part" divorce is indeed a failure, not necessarily of the people involved, but of their union. Michelle Obama is making a comment on the state of the union - that it is fractured, fractious, and unhealthy, assigning blame to the president as the recalcitrant half. Whether they succeed or not, every divorced couple hopes that it can work together for the sake of the children. To criticise one deadbeat dad is not to denigrate all fatherhood.

The rest of it is a red herring. Protecting former officials in high office and their families is not a showy 'perk'; it is in the best interests of the nation. They need not accede to a muzzle in return. Post-presidential restraint has been the voluntary norm in the United States, but that is not a universal tradition; definitely not in parliamentary democracies. Other former US presidents have offered their own critical views of the current one.

The comments are innocuous - if indeed they sell more books, then it is the fault of the amplifiers. Bernie makes money because people buy his book, as do Kylie's insta-followers her lipstick. It is not foisted on them. In a couple of years, both books will be $1.49 on Amazon, used.
    :beer-toast1:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Gauri03, Afresh and Laks09 like this.
  3. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

I completely agree with @sokanasanah views on this. Further a few comments on the questions raised on propriety :

Exactly and that's why there is more responsibility now on the current incumbent to be careful in his/her comments. Does that morality compass really TRUMP or pale when you have a current president who denigrates his own people everywhere

Why have Faux pride?

I would believe that she is someone who has demonstrated equanimity in her behaviour ( i am not saying that may not be a curated public image... .but still ..) to get away with such comments made in the face of rising divisive forces globally!
    This of course , she could do by apologizing to all such dads , who felt insulted at the comparison. But you have to agree, the comments were made for a divorced dad who has time and again demonstrated failures with his parenting to say the least.

I agree , but then globally, far more pertinent and inflammatory statements, which should have far reaching consequences than someone earning a few big bucks by selling their books,being made and consistently overlooked .

No comments on this one though ;); this deserves another thread

Gauri03 likes this.
  4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

For those who are grousing at Michelle Obama getting Secret Service protection, it would serve them well to remember that the same applies to Trump and his family once he leaves office.
    What does one want to bet on the number of outrageous statements Trump is going to continue to make for the rest of his life?

Afresh likes this.
  5. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

Hi
    I dont really disagree with what you said there!
    But what i meant by doing a later discussion there is because, the timing of the reinstatement of former presidential lifelong secret service took place in the Obama regime 2009-2017

6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Trump: What is Karma? Can anyone explain to me?
    Barr: Your appeal on the accountants releasing your tax return would go to the circuit Court headed by Merrick Garland.

Gauri03 and Laks09 like this.
  7. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

These rally goers are upsetting me a lot. We have friends who took that bus to the rally. 70 odd bus loads of people, who are seemingly educated. Everyone is very happy that Trump dissed Pakistan. Arrey, he's say anything to appease a crowd. Where are their senses? Soooo annoyed.
    I agree with you, he will anyway win. I hope VP isn't Pence, that's the guy i worry about more.

It's a terrible situation for parents of special needs kids. They can't even go to Canada where merit based immigration won't even give them a path to Canadian citizenship because the child's special needs renders them ineligible. They are stuck. Imagine, being denied immigration not because you are not qualified and employable and will pay taxes but because your child who is unable to support himself will burden the system more. What kind of people do that?

IMO, if people have options to immigrate elsewhere, they should take it at this juncture. With more and more restrictions on immigration, that queue is getting bigger and bigger. Better to go elsewhere and at least get a status in a decent amount of time before that country gets full and the same long queues happen there too. There are kids my child's age born in India who are now going to have to pay international student fees apparently and if the GC doesn't come before a certain age then they can't continue their application with parents. These parents are already sending their kids to india to study because the GC isn't anyway coming.

Afresh and Gauri03 like this.
  8. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I know this old uncle who has been in the US for 30+ years. He overstayed his visitor's visa and was undocumented for 17-18 years. Thanks to some asylum/amnesty rules he got his GC and is a citizen now. He is a rabid MAGA fan -- outspoken Trump supporter. Says he hates the 'illegals'. :facepalm: Talk about hypocrisy! My fellow countrymen never fail to disappoint me.

Angela123, Laks09 and Afresh like this.
  9. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Rally goers don’t realize that trump also said he has very good relations with Pak ....
    Trump will look for ama Eric an interests as he should not Indian interests ...
    The people who attended the rally don’t understand trump ...

They just wanted to get a good feel like poor relatives feel when the richest relative comes to our home or function ....

Also by seemingly supporting trump they may cause long term harm with dems who support Prod India policies ...

Trump did not wait long and issued a statement now that he trusts Pakistan with Imran khan in tow....

I do understand the issues related to special needs kids and how difficult it would be if wrong policies are passed ...it is very unfair overall .
    I only hope you have enough opposition from DEMS to ensure no over the board measure actually see light of the day

Laks09 likes this.
  10. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Never underestimate the willingness of certain people to kick the ladder out from underneath.

Laks09 likes this.