1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Healthy Waffle Maker

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by virtualkv2020, Sep 10, 2019.

1. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

Dosai on a waffle maker??!!! - you guys are kitchen-wizards!!!

I feel like a rock under a rock! :oops:

Pray tell me, how did you come up with this brilliant mix and match?

virtualkv2020 likes this.
  2. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

Probably kids and their demands makes parents think out of the box . There’s so much innovation in every field isn’t it ?

@Amulet and others plz let me know if ceramic waffle maker is healthy enough to replace my old cast iron waffle maker.

startinganew likes this.
  3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Are you talking ceramic coated SS skillet ? That is nice to use, however, read #3 in 6 Benefits Of Cooking In Cast Iron - Lily Nichols RDN

virtualkv2020 likes this.
  4. virtualkv2020

startinganew likes this.
  5. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

Thanks for sharing, everyone!

I have been also trying to do the same. Was able to get away from non-stick mostly but got stuck with a couple of hard anodized - which I think is just as bad as non stick.

Once my hard anodized got naturally seasoned for dosais I find it very hard to do away with. But would like to..

Any suggestions (videos/blogs) for seasoning raw cast irons to use for
    1. dosais and pancake?
    2. Dry sauteed veggies like ladies finger, cabbage, etc

And also brands you suggest for cast iron and SS utensils?

Kveena - what do use earthenware for? And where did you buy them from?

Also regarding the cast iron waffle maker - if it worked well for you initially (with problems later) why don't you want to try it again? Just clarifying... Thanks!

6. virtualkv2020

Aluminum is bad for health too, it’s better to get rid of your hard anodized ones.

For cast iron cookware try lodge brand,they are good. You can season them as per the instructions given on their website, I baked mine for an hour or so after basting them. You can also find the best iron tawas and kadai’s in any local market in India.

To give you an idea here is what I use.

For chapathi
    Amazon.com: Lodge 10.5 Inch Cast Iron Griddle. Pre-seasoned Round Cast Iron Pan Perfect for Pancakes, Pizzas, and Quesadillas.: Campfire Cookware: Kitchen & Dining

For sautéed subzi
    Amazon.com: Lodge 8 Inch Cast Iron Skillet. Small Pre-Seasoned Skillet for Stovetop, Oven, or Camp Cooking: Campfire Cookware: Kitchen & Dining

I use a couple of iron kadai’s for deep frying.

For dosa
    I use an iron tawa from India, for hotel style jumbo dosa I also use lodge pizza tawa https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Baking-Pre-Seasoned-Round-Handles/dp/B0000E2V3X/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=Lodge+P14P3+Pro-Logic+Cast+Iron+Pizza+Pan,+14-inch,+Black&qid=1569128876&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Dosa cooked on an iron tawa is not only toxic free but also tastes Yummy.

I replaced my nonstick paniyaram pan with an iron one, I got my from India. If you are residing in USA you can find an iron ableskiver pan or takoyaki pan on Amazon.They are all the same.

I also use lodge grill pan and lodge panini press to make stove top panini sandwiches/grilled veggies/grilled chicken or fish.

https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Square...9130898&s=gateway&sprefix=lodge+grill+&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-LPP3-S...130929&s=gateway&sprefix=lodge+grill+p&sr=8-3

I use calpholon stainless steel cookware, works well for dum biryani.I also use a couple earthenware (clay pots) for cooking dal and gravy curries. These are available in India.As per Ayurveda the food cooked in earthenware retains 100% nutrients and is very tasty too.

I replaced my aluminum idli plates and cookers with stainless steel ones. You can YouTube to find how to season and maintain iron cookware, it’s easy once you get the hang of it. Maintaining the right temperature is the key for cooking in steel or iron cookware. You will get it with practice.

My dosa waffles were perfectly dished out until I used the waffle iron for some yoghurt based batter at a not so good temperature.Despite several attempts I failed miserably plus had a lot of cleaning to do. Now it’s rusted, I plan to clean it off with tamarind and try again later...in the mean while I need an alternative to serve my hungry kids :)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    startinganew likes this.
  7. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

@kveena - thank you very much for the detailed explanations and links. I am going to take a while to explore this in detail. And I'll come back with questions. :)

I did go for Calphalons when I happen to find them at the local Marshalls but usually that leaves me with limited choice in the exact style I need. I should poll them more often. :)