1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

American Nanny Options?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by sanjuruby3, Sep 17, 2019.

1. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

You should ask for several references at the minimum. You will also have to take care of taxes. Some people hire a payroll service to handle this. And you should have a very clear contract that covers sick days for the nanny, her vacation days and so forth.

Vaikuntha and startinganew like this.
  2. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

Yup, same experience here. The indian nannies treated me like a daughter at their homes and it was a great experience - but perfect only for infants in my opinion.

Care.com does a background check for a couple of hundred dollars. I did it both via care.com and enannysource. The professional nannies may already have a background check handy to show you. I used that plus did my own. It gave me my nannies old addresses in my city and this corroborated with her sharing of previous jobs, and anecdotes she shared etc. This will include criminal background check. I also did random checks that come up in Google for a fee. It was worth that money for more peace of mind. I checked facebook and other social media of them and their close ones. Usually you can gather a lot if you ask earnest questions. I loved my life as a single person living with roomates in my college town before I moved to my current city - so I share that and ask them about their living situation given that we live in an expensive city - boyfriend/parents/roomies etc. It is tricky to not offend or intrude and yet to want to know enough about the caretaker of your child.

There was one really nice south American nanny - whom we had almost finalized with but at the very end she was offended when we said we would like to do a background check and didn't want to work with us. It was a sort of red flag for me - so we disappointedly moved to the next candidate. (So be ready for a variety of people - it is an unregulated industry and it takes time to weed through the casual folks putting up profiles in care.com and the ones who are serious and would like to have a good relationship with your family for a few years).

Also our nanny preferred cash (and many of them preferred that) - and we were OK with that.

I asked for three full-time references. The previous employers (other mothers) are usually very forthcoming with info if you talk to them frankly. Just know that all nannies will come with some good qualities and some challenges you will have to work around.

This was my concern too. But once I finalize someone for a coffee interview - I give them a lot of "myself" when I chat with them - I share a lot of personal details and open up to her. This is what also allows them to open up to me and share who they really are. I have a bunch of child-related questions for them initially - but it's these personal "opening-up" that tells me their true nature even with a 1 hour chat session. Some of them won't open and be very reticent in their answers - and then I go to the next candidate - because I can't have a good understanding of them.

If you try to maintain "boss/employer-employee" relationship - you can't really know who they are. After I choose someone, I try to play both roles - some professionalism to ensure the nanny-ing duties are done professionally but also try to be open and communicative so she and I can have a good relationship.

Vaikuntha and Rihana like this.
  3. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

I just noticed that you said your mom is here with you. American nanny with mom to supervise her and observe vibes (at least initially) - will make things really convenient for you. Some nannies come with car and car-seat - send grandma, kid and nanny to lots of new places - museums, library story time all around town, Gymboree classes, . Everyone will have a good time! :) I wouldn't send my kid alone with nanny in a car - but if grandma is there I wouldn't mind at all.

One of my friends went with American nanny and had a two-week paid trial period - you can try that so that you don't have to commit for the long-term. I didn't have that luxury of time to try someone - so didn't choose this route.

If you're willing to "throw" some extra money at the problem - nanny agencies will do a lot of the filtration for you and send you multiple options for you and do all the background check for you. They will charge 1 month nanny fee extra for this service. And if your nanny stops coming for some reason or you don't want to work with her anymore (any misunderstanding, any sudden discovery) - they are responsible for finding you a replacement.

We didn't go this route but I know many in my company who said it was worth the $$.

Vaikuntha and Rihana like this.
  4. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

I think I do not need to do taxes since i will pay hourly. I asked the one candidate I met recently. She did not speak much and was very less communicative and simple. But her reviews from former employers were excellent. But she does not have infant experience and long term experience. I am looking for long term. So we said yes to her without much sailing in nanny market.
    I had spoken to about 5-6 indian nannies ( or their nanny managers - for the lack of better word, i mean person who talks for them, like H, or son or daughter etc). All of them - first thing - what are you giving, then next reach back , even for negotiation, then after few more calls from me, i find out they do not want to do this job, because of commute, or etc.
    But I know, once they are in the house, they are good. Anyways fed up with that, I hired first nanny i met and felt nice.

About taxes - she said, i do not need to do her taxes, since i am paying per hour. Am I taking it wrong?

My mother is leaving in couple days so can not have her monitor her behaviour. Might have to do WFH few days from home in the beginning.

Our nanny came to meet us casually. She did not have any CV, when I asked, she brought from car, one crumpled page with just slight few months teaching experience. She is okay with everything, background check and cash or check. I asked her expectations but she looks like in desparate need for money and she jumped to my yes. One of my friends had met her through care.com for her much older kid, but did hire her for budget reasons. She referred her to me. She had done many interviews to her and liked her.

startinganew likes this.
  5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Many people in my area do taxes while employing nannies because they do not want to jeopardize their security clearances for work. If that is not a concern you're probably okay either way.

startinganew and Vaikuntha like this.
  6. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

@sanjuruby3 Glad to know you found someone quickly! Hope she turns out to work very well with your family. All the very best in the initial orientation/training period.

Wanted to add a couple more things -

I use a few nanny cameras in most areas of the home that my nanny will use with my child. In the first week or so I used to check it often. But once I was confident of her nature - I check on it occasionally now.

I also have a no-phone/TV rule for the nanny. It is very easy to soothe/distract a child with videos/music from the phone. But we didn't want that so we asked her to not use it. In case you are interested in this - you have to be explicit about this - because many nannies think screen-time is a normal activity for kids these days during feeding/diaper changing/chores, etc.

Vaikuntha and Sunshine04 like this.
  7. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

No tv rule is good for the development of the kid. How much do you pay your nanny??

8. sanjuruby3

Hi
    Can I ask if you had multiple cameras option in home? What nanny cam is best and reasonable price?

Our house is not built like - one 360 nanny came covers most areas . No, We will have to install multiple. But I want one master and other extensions so do not have to buy and control multiple. Any suggestions.

9. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

@Sunshine04 In our city the rates for nanny begin at 14-15 $ an hour for someone with little to no experience and no college degree.
    It goes up to 25$ an hour for someone with 10 yrs experience OR some child development credits in a community college/ plus sort of exposure at a montessori or preschool. Ours is in between this range.

@sanjruby3 Try wyze brand

10. sanjuruby3

My new nanny takes 16 $ which is quite expensive for our area but its check so I can claim tax credits later. Indian nanny on cash also asking about 15$ or little less but more work done and full days and no tax credits or advantages later.
    Somehome I still feel better or comfortable with indian nanny as they know household kitchen stuff and same upbringing like us. They are mature women but these ones are so young.