1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Varicose Veins....

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by brindhak, May 15, 2008.

1. brindhak

brindhak Gold IL'ite

Hi all...
    Anybody Suffering from Varicose Veins....?? What treatment you do for that.... Please share...

Love
    brindha

2. cheers_sunray

cheers_sunray Senior IL'ite

Hi
    Varicose veins are the dilated veins i.e enlarged veins.
    This can occur during pregnancy by the increased uterine weight,venous stasis in the legs and incresed venous distensibility resulting in oedema in the lower limbs.
    When the patient with varicose veins sits with legs down the oedema increases and pain also is aggravated.
    Treatment:Conservative:
    Elevation of lower limbs
    Elastic support stockings to be worn
    Exercises:
    Buerger or Buerger-Allen exercises- a series of positional changes of the affected limb coupled with active ankle dorsiflexion and plantarflexion exercise.
    Consult a physiotherapist for the above conservative treatment.
    Regards,
    Deepa

3. cheers_sunray

Hi,

Varicose veins are veins that have become enlarged and twisted. Defined as "any dilated, elongated and tortuous vein irrespective of size". The term commonly refers to the veins on the leg, although varicose veins occur elsewhere.
    Varicose veins can also occur in pregnancy with increased uterine weight,venous stasis in the legs and increseds venous distensibility.
    Deep vein thrombosis is the most dreaded complication of Varicose veins.

Some Symptoms of Varicose veins:
    1.Heavyness in the lowerlimbs with aching and mild discomfort especially in the night times
    2.Oedema in the lower legs i.e ankle
    3.Bluish discoloration around the veins, can be observed back of Knee joint
    4.Dry skin which nis itchy and scaly-Venous eczema

Treatment:
    Coservative:
    Elastic cre bandaging the limbs from ankle to above knee and Elevation of limbs.Lying supine i.e on ur back,Keep pillows from above knee jt till down the ankle.This keeps the lower limbs in an elevated position.
    Swelling comes back when legs are put down like in sitting in a chair as this promotes accumilation of fluids in the veins.So need to avoid this position.
    Exercises:
    Buerger's or Buerger-Allen exercises:These are done in various positions of knee jt with active Ankle plantarflexion and dorsiflexion.Better consult a physiotherapist for demonstration of these exercises.

Also you can see this website for more details:

http://www.theholisticcare.com/cure%20diseases/Varicose%20Veins.htm

4. cheers_sunray

Hey
    I thought my first reply was not sent so I typed again and posted the second one.U can follow the second one.I ahve no clue on how to delete the first one.If u can pls do so as there will be no more confusion.

5. brindhak

brindhak Gold IL'ite

Dear Cheers ..
    Thankyou so much for your detailed reply.. I ll check the link also...

Love
    Brindha

6. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Hi @brindhak,
    I know this is the old post. I am just looking for some inputs or experience about the Varicose veins treatment.
    I am planning to treat my varicose veins. Did you treat yours? How was the experience?