1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

American Nanny Options?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by sanjuruby3, Sep 17, 2019.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

For my daughter, we had indian nanny that did cooking also for us. Now for my younger one, we put him in daycare since we can not WFH more than 1 day so having nanny at home without being able to watch her, we thought may not work.

He started daycare just recently, but i saw daycare carpets dirty with wood chips, children licking toys and then caretakers giving same to my son, then kids crying to be picked up for long time. I felt really bad. With ongoing cases with nanny, we are scared. So I am thinking may be legal american nanny ( not cash paid) , will just take care of my child and nothing else.
    But they ll cost to 3000$ month easily. My heart still wants indian nanny, because of my older kids experience, she was good and loving and and then we did not have much language problem. Then some methods of raising kids i wanted to have traditional, like diaper free time, potty training, feeding fresh khichadi chapaati. Also cooking was lot of help.
    Now I have older one also to attend and with my mother here also, life is so hard juggling both kids work and household.
    I cry each day. So I am confused. Indian nanny would work best but safety worries me.

So now i am thinking american nanny (from care.com). Have any one tried one and how did it work for your indian home? Please suggest.

2. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

what safety concerns do you have??

SinghManisha and anika987 like this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

You can find legal Indian nannies by asking around. If you have a parent constantly present at home some nannies might not like to work in that situation.

4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Which daycare you go to?
    There are many daycares which are really good and the interaction with other kids is good for your child plus the teachers also help install discipline.I personally find it a safer option too..

Go for careone.com

One of my relatives used a high school American kid who was actually awesome and I was stunned by the way she took care of the kid and also provided help around the home

Nylaa, Sunshine04 and MalStrom like this.
  5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Like Anika said you can also continue looking for daycares. Some are much better than others, like with everything. My baby goes to an in-home with 8 kids and 2 providers and they do an excellent job. Make sure they are licensed, check the public records to make sure there are no violations on file and ask to talk to some of the current families. Also pop in unannounced a few times. You should still have back-up options as kids will invariably fall sick in daycare and end up having to stay home.

6. YoGirl

YoGirl Gold IL'ite

Also, there are home based day care either Americans or Indians. Some of them are registered and some not.

They usually have small group

7. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

I have had nanny for 4 years for my little one. She is Indian nanny and I explained to her benefits of paying taxes like unemployment benefits . We negotiated the salary so she would pay taxes based on her yearly income for the state and I could get refunds from my employer from FSA. It is doable with Indian nanny. Depending on the state you live in explain the benefits of paying taxes. Believe in your mothers instinct

Vaikuntha likes this.
  8. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

I went for an Indian nanny till my kid was around 1 yr. After that I felt like they were very warm and caring but there were some things I missed in Indian nanny:

1. Usually older aunties so couldn't not go to slightly farther off walkable places from my home - newer park, toddler class, play run around games in the backyard, etc
    2. They were usually not creative enough to keep the kid intellectually stimulated - even if it means simple things - solving puzzles along with the kid, coming up creative craft projects (according to the time of year - teach kid about Halloween, Christimas, Easter), read and know stories in the common kid's books, play new pretend games, etc.
    3. I speak to my kid only in native tongue. So having an American nanny meant that my kid gets exposed to English from her.

I went for an educated American nanny for the past 1 year. And it works well for us. I looked via sittercity, care.com and enannysource.com. This was a long process (so many phone calls, texts, and coffee shop interviews) since I really wanted to feel a connection with the person - something that told me that they really liked kids and that this is not just a temporary job while they were in-between careers. Getting someone at a reasonable rate was a LOT of work. But it was worth all the time involved. Remember that most non-Indian nannies may also same points above - so we need to look a lot. Also once we liked someone we would have a paid-trial nanny session for 4 hours or so over the weekend. I would walk away like I was busy in the kitchen and observe how the candidate would interact, talk and play to keep my kid interested in her.

Also all nannies will help with kid-related chores when the kid naps. Ours will help with kid laundry, kid's area cleanup as well as some veggie chopping/ kitchen tidy up if she has time.

Let me know if you have any specific questions for finding a nanny. I visited some daycares near my home and I found quite a few things lacking:
    1. diaper changing-time hygiene
    2. Small rooms with small windows for play time.
    3. Outdoor time was only 45 mins to 1 hour a day.
    4. End of the day I get no feedback on how my kid's day was, what he did or said or how he felt.
    5. A lot of hype over "healthy" snacks given to kids - when it would just be "organic mac and cheese" or some tortilla with cheese, etc.

With a nanny, she gives me a precious report on his development in terms of eating, behaviors, etc - including anything funny he did, how he interacted with another kid in the park - all the little stories I don't want to miss.

The good day cares were a little far from home and it wasn't worth my extra commute time for this. Even if it means 20 mins more commute - I used to think that meant 20 mins less of parenting time during the precious evening and morning hours for me and my kid.

9. sanjuruby3

Was she licensed in that case? Do not they think they need to be licensed and have CPR for that?

Usually indian nannies (atleast in my area) are all by word/reference and they are old grandmothers age. So they have language and driving inabilities and also work other places like cooking.
    I was talking to one super experienced and proud nanny who told me, they have minimum this $ amount now in thier state ( legally) So I asked if that means she would take check ( I was okay with that), Then she strictly said, "no, in her occupation ( for indian nannies), it all cash based". So I do not know if i could teach her taxes situation.

10. sanjuruby3

Hi,
    We are finally thinking american nanny... for licensing and check reasons. Tried to talk to many indian nannies but they do not even talk on phone and have some family member taking calls, and come over phone if if money is above their expectations.
    It worked for our older one. That time we did not have any experience. We met one through reference, no phone call, one time meeting, hire and she was v good. now, i am getting bit frustated since noone seems interested in calls.
    but then i can not understand what goes behind american face beause of different race, if they are sad or angry or kidnappers.
    for indian nanny, we can visit their home to see if they are happy family and less chance of problems.
    Only risk is that if something urgent happens, they may not know emergency procedures or what steps to take ?

Btw, should we do background checks and how? Did we need to worry about her taxes? Since we paying as free lancer.