1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Concept Of Fairness

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Afresh, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

Does this relate to the general populace or 'you' in specific?
    If it was directed at general populace , then why the fuss ;)
    Another duty gets added to the list :eek:

2. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

Sir,
    This being a 'gift' or ' curse' may also be debatable ? redemption from what?
    True that, but that's the crux na ... expectations and humans
    That's why my moot point was to not teach expectations and 'karm' and related 'phal' theories.
    I may like to put in a disclaimer that i completely accept all the views stated in your response; just want to explore the alternates in life systems hypothetically!
    Not a complete cynic, though may admit that my post may be laced that ways! ;)

3. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

Eggjactly ;);
    But as @Balajee Sir's reply sums the need of having rules in place :), that's why they are there and needed

4. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

now that's a real heavy word to actually decode and follow in letter and spirit ;)
    Completely aligned with the thought!

5. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

Your reply is so comforting and humane !
    It still is a beautiful world :)

I love this teacher whom you recall , she definitely had her concepts fair :p

6. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

Truly on point..
    It's all about self preservation on a mass scale !
    Life was never easy and maybe not meant to be ... i completely submit to this one:grinning:
    But then sir, its all about perspective i guess, optimists might contend ow

HariLakhera likes this.
  7. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear @Afresh
    A classic mental process. When our mind starts thinking of paradoxical questions like this, we end up with a throbbing headache. Fairness doesn't have to be a human attribute. It applies to everyone and everything. And it is never the same for everyone either. A mother may be extremely fair when giving a chocolate to her two kids but as they grow up, the attitude does change for so many reasons. The concept of fairness goes through different hues at different stages. We ourselves do not act the same way all through our lives. We justify our shifting stance by saying 'All is fair in love and war'.
    Fairness is not relatable to only the living beings of our planet. When we talk of fairness, the other side of it rears its ugly head. Even the celestial beings which we all believe are under the complete control of the Divine, are not equitable in their behavior. When a footloose asteroid hit the earth millions of years ago, it brought a calamitous end to the reign of dinosaurs. We see only models of them in museums. Can we call it totally unfair on the part of the asteroid?
    An aging friend of mine once told me that he was not afraid of death but was terrified to think of the kind of world in which he might be born again. His statement made me pensive for a long time and I never got a fitting answer. I only wonder about it like Spinoza wondering about the bird that flies into a well-lit room from darkness and flies out into darkness again!
    Sri

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    Afresh and Viswamitra like this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

If it is a gift, we won't be debating about fairness, isn't it? Redemption I had mentioned is from human suffering.

If the concept of fairness arise from the mind of each person, we bound to have one feeling unfair and another feeling fair in a given situation. It is difficult to match the expectations of all human beings as they build their own concept of the world based on their respective experiences. In my view, fairness is part of right living or righteousness and it is always a set of principles recommended and not enforced. It is us who decide after reasonable inquiry whether that is the right path or not. I don't see another alternative, as I believe this world is a concept build by each mind.

Afresh likes this.
  9. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite