Mother’s Of Girl Children - Do You Celebrate Navratri Golu?

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by anika987, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Clever.... there is never a point in meaningless fracas that is always a lose-lose proposition.
    This is our version of trick-or-treat, and we do it over several nights too. And besides, (talking of treats), we get to try out various versions of sundal at home, and test it on our guests.

Usually people living in foreign are keen'er on foisting their home-culture on the children (weekend language classes, desi gatherings, dance lessons, singing lessons, musical instruments training, etc..), and if the parents can get the kids to think that their home culture is cool, and sophisticated, they will be happy to do it.

2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I started doing it for the daughter. I love everything about navaratri but follow my own way of doing it. I anyway light the lamp and chant some Devi strotrams twice a day. I don’t do anything extra other than offer a humble naivedyam for the first 7 days and do some elaborate Prasadams on the last three days. I’ve always associated it with fun and socializing than anything else. This year a friend has asked me to host Lalitha Sahasranamam for navarathri. I usually chant very very fast because of the lack of time. I have to find one day to host a small group of close women friends and chant at a regular relaxed pace.

joylokhi and anika987 like this.
  3. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Anika

As many have mentioned, I don't think this has anything to do with girls/boys, only whether or not your in-laws usually have the tradition or not. My friends are mothers of boys and still keep golu. I have 2 daughters and I keep golu, and I would have even if my children were boys. In the olden days, they probably foisted the idea of having to follow traditions if you have a girl as kind of a training of sorts, for the girls to be aware when she marries and goes off!

I am quite particular about celebrating festivals and celebrate them quite elaborately because when I think of them from my childhood, I associate them with all happy memories. It was fun and colorful and generally contributed to a positive atmosphere in the house. That is probably what I think my children will get out of this also.

Here in the Bay Area, the golu is a pretty elaborate affair. Tons of houses to visit and tons of people to invite. It can get as stressful as you make it. I keep golu, but do not make sundal everyday! I only make it on the days I am inviting people over. Other days, I just do a fruit naivedyam. Devi has not punished me or anything for being lax about it. Also, someone else mentioned about it having lost meaning these days. Again, I feel it is as meaningful as you make it for yourself. For me, the excitement of planning my golu routes so that I cover all the homes that I have been invited to, wearing my sarees for visits, discussing with friends in my neighborhood on a suitable time to have invitations to our homes on the same day, sundal menu so that they don't end up eating the same thing at all the homes they visit, shopping for meaningful gifts to give back on my India trips during the summer.... all these are extremely exciting. My kids sense my happiness and excitement and willingly take part. My husband just stays away and only makes an appearance when needed. That's golu for me.

Do not feel pressured. Do as much or as little as you like!! Just enjoy whatever you do.

startinganew, anika987 and joylokhi like this.
  4. AppuMom

AppuMom Gold IL'ite

I was not able to keep golu every year..But when I do , I do it for myself.This is kind of spiritual detox for me.I have a son.He is only interested in Prasadam.

startinganew, anika987 and joylokhi like this.
  5. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Keeping Golu or not should be purely based on your interest and time available to you to attend to it. Ofcourse, having a girl child in the house becomes a main reason in many cases, as the child gets to learn the customs and would love dressing up, and would get into the habit of mingling with everyone in the neighbourhood.
    I have 2 sons and as I was working full time, did not do Golu upto the time I took voluntary retirement. After that, once my elder son got married, I started Golu with the intention of giving a platform for my DIL to begin, and as she was interested too. Now that both DILs have moved abroad, I had continued upto last year. It requires full attention for the period of 10 days including vijayadashami. Itis really very fulfilling both spiritually and socially, in that we get to meet all our friends and relatives at least once a year. However, being alone and getting on in age, from this year I have decided to keep for the last 3 days , i.e from sapthami to vijayadashami and invite everyone within that period.
    So, decide if you really would be able to spend time over this, and begin - All the best.

Amulet and anika987 like this.