1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

After Buying A House Do You Guys Moved To Another City Because Of Good Schools?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Mehana, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

Hi everyone,
    (USA school related question)
    Quick question. My kid will go to KG next year. We started looking school ratings. Look like we are not satisfied with schools assigned to my home address. Do you guys moved to another city for the sake of good schools inspite you brought a new home few years ago ? Please pour your suggestions. I am confused.

Incase if I need to move what's the right grade level I have to plan? Before 3rd grade or KG itself?

Do you guys send your kids to high Asian populated school or mixed population (Hispanic, American etc)?

How should I plan?

Please give me your suggestions.

Thanks.

Thyagarajan likes this.

2. deepthivinayak1

deepthivinayak1 Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    You should have checked the school rating for home before buying it. Not only for ur kids,in future when you resale it. The house sold based on the school and localities. I think till 1 st grade or 2 nd grade you can stay in ur present home. Always check the school rating in websites like ziche.com. Also buy a house with minimum school rating 7+ in all three schools(elementary,middle and high school). Many of my friends bought house based on best high school. Recently we bought a house with school rating 7+ in all level (10 rating for high school) and with Indian community(it is not our first preference but we got it). I don’t like to scare, just check your house present market value. If it is more than the purchased price, you can go ahead and sale it. Else wait for some year, once you are ok with the price, sell and buy a house. A house value is based on good school rated school and locality. So next house, plan ahead. Check the rating, community, ur and ur husband office distance.

Thyagarajan, Mehana and anika987 like this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Check if there are any charter schools nearby.

Probably if you are lucky and the kid gets through lottery system,you may not have to leave.

Else you can wait it out a couple
    Of years and move to a different place where you think will For you

Thyagarajan and Mehana like this.
  4. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Are the school rating bad for elementary , middle and high school too ....

5. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

All elementary schools are mostly good. U have time to move for better school. You can change before middle school. That time mostly kids personality are changing. Also there is no much studies before middle school. Usually people buy house after getting green card. By that time kids r going to school so they check school rating first before shortlisting locations. If u have purchased much before then it's ok. U can wait and keep looking. When your budget permits then buy in good schools. Environment is definitely important for young kids.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    Thyagarajan, candidheart and Mehana like this.
  6. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

Thanks ladies.

School near me shows rating 7. But I am unsure how it will be ... Asian community school rating shows 9 and 10 so I am little worried. Yes I will wait for another 2 years and start looking for home near good school ratings.

Yes I heard lottery system too but it's based on luck too. I think for now we are good ..just want to ask you all to make sure I plan appropriately.

Thanks again.

Thyagarajan and anika987 like this.
  7. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Just apply for lottery system.If you get it’s fine else also okay.Just keep options open.

8. candidheart

candidheart IL Hall of Fame

we moved from good school district(city1) to good home (2)district and back to good school district(city3)

I can tell you what we did, hope it helps..

For kindergarden and elementary we checked the rating and moved to that school district, 95% of asians..very good school..good discipline,responsibiltiy, was instilled in student which is important in intial develpoment of child.

However we stayed there in rental apartment and it was getting way too expensive ..Old houses were also ridiculously high,so no question of buying in that district. By the time my child was in3 rd grade, he was molded well and we understood what kind student he was, if he would get affected if we moved to different school or still adjust and maintain? all were positive, so we were ready to buy a house and moved. the elementary school rating was ok where we moved..and bought a house too..

it was all good, this school had a good mix, hispanic, asian, american etc..no complaints with school all good. However the middle school and high school rating was like 8 and heard rumors about drugs, behavioral issues etc. Middle school and high school are the most crucial ones for your child not just academically but for social, behavioral growth as well. The kind of friends they make will have a huge impact. we found, the near by city had the best middle school and high school rating and 80% asian population, so we sold our house and brought there.

I wouldn't suggest changing from middle to high school, as it would be better if they have their own group of friends made in middle school to move together into high school, to avoid the initial bullying phase etc..

So I would suggest starting off in a good elementary school to build all the good values in your child and then decide based on how it all turns out for your child.

But ultimately we have to give utmost importance to the school, surrounding, and environment our children will grow in.

KashmirFlower and Mehana like this.
  9. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

Thank you so much Candidheart!

More like in same boat. We looked houses near the good school district but it was so expensive. We brought house in next city with rating 7(but mixed up community like hispanic , non hispanic, other population but low Asian). Now when I started asking to my neighbors some of them say they planning to move in next 2 years , in 1 year etc. I believe I have some 2-3 years so that I should be able to move to another city.

candidheart likes this.
  10. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

What are charter schools? Are they like public schools?