Do Kids Hate India Vacations?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

There wasn't a love button on the reply!
    So had to comment.
    I think your son also has imbibed it from you. I have not been that sorted as yet. work in progress ;)
    Clarity, priority and focus :)

nuss likes this.
  2. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

@anika987 if you like India trips, and your H supports the same, and apparently your kid too likes the same, then why bother about some co-sis, MIL, distant relative and all?
    Why even expect a validation from random strangers like us?

You are right. Have no doubt in that.
    You are doing justice to what your mind and body wants. You like India, you miss India, you feel better in India visits, and India treats you better each and everytime.
    What else you need to justify your India trips? And does these MIL, Co-sis or random relative even matter here?

If that matter, even if Somalia could give me happiness and peace of mind, I would go. I would go every month if that possible/if I could afford.
    Who are others to comment? After all, it is our money, our family's burden, and our happiness!!!

I repeat. You have this habit of worrying so much about what others say....
    Others opinions matter, but not more than our own opinions.

There will be X, Y and Z to compliment like "see.. how lucky our Anika is to visit India every year. How much she is enjoying"... and even there are few to admire you and want to become exactly like you. Count on them...

nuss likes this.
  3. paru123

paru123 Gold IL'ite

Anika, they all are jealous of you. When you go out with your friends, they must be assuning that this is how you are enjoying life even in US.

Have seen a neighbour dil who always keeps roaming when on vacation. Very rarely she would be seen in the house. In laws workload increase when the family is visiting them and dil seems to be enjoying without lending a hand in household work.

I would suggest take your close relatives (whose opinions matter or effect you) along with you at times to a movie,beach, park, mall, hotel.Let them also celebrate your arrival.

4. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Thank you! The blue answers are a result of replying to students' questions all day :).

lavani likes this.
  5. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Thank you! One of our focus as a family has been to make our travels a learning experience. Although kids are only 6 and 4, they still love to get a book from the library on the place we are visiting (The USA or outside) and ask us to read about it.
    My sister still talks about her visit to Scotland with us. We were in Glasgow for a conference. We usually leave 2-3 days before the conference starts, if time allows, so the kids can get comfortable with my sister/grandparents/babysitter when we are still around. We went to a pirate-themed park one of the days and my son marked it on the map and also marked the bus route. He was 4.5 years old. Next day, we were at the conference and when we met for lunch, my sister told us that my son wanted to go to the pirate park again. She told him that she didn't know how to get there. He brings his map out and tells my sister which bus to take and where to get off the bus. She wasn't brave enough to take his lead :) so they went to the botanical garden instead which was right next to the hotel.

Another best thing that I've found is to get the Magic Tree House book series. My mother-in-law sent the first 47 books as a Christmas present to both kids and since we have borrowed another 20 or more books from the library. That's how the kids learned about Taj Mahal and Mogul era in India.

6. Agathinai

Agathinai Gold IL'ite

Don’t worry about others taunting remarks. Just do what you think is right.

Kids usually are quite alright to visit places including India when young. But when they are growing up into teenagers and young adults they don’t have the same desire as before. It might not be hatred but it isn’t a desire either. They tend to develop different interests and will find it hard to adjust. So some kids will tell they aren’t keen for going to India and if anyone encounters such things in life it shouldn’t come as a surprise. Those times usually the parents just take time to go at different times to India.

That’s the real drawback apart from the expense incurred. Not all can afford the trips due to increasing travel expenditure as they need to save for the college fees and other associated causes.

These are after kids had grown up. Till then don’t think too much and enjoy your life now.

Afresh likes this.
  7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Try putting up in an Air B&B. Maybe those places might have a play area. Come as often as you like, stay as much as you like. Don't bother contacting those whom it troubles seeing you here. Visit your parents, friend, travel and be happy. You don't even have to inform anybody other than these people of your visit to India. If they say anything, just say you did not inform them since it makes them so unhappy. Tell them to expressly inform you when they want to see you and your kids and you will visit them during your next visit.