Do Kids Hate India Vacations?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

In the next together, I would avoid these 2 women and sit glued to my husband holding his hands. Hehe

Anusha2917, sweetsmiley and anika987 like this.
  2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Yes, service apartments. We stay in one when my sibling and I are both visiting my parents with family. It is just a few houses away from my parents' place so we just go there to nap/ sleep but its nice not to be cramped like sardines all the time and the kids can have quiet time for naps. We usually engage a trusted babysitter to help.

anika987 likes this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Anika, look up the grey rock method. It might help you in interacting with those who pick on you.

anika987 likes this.
  4. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

And then if you don't go she/they will say "oh Anika is sitting in Amreeka and not visiting us" .
    Even if you stay for 4-6 months that shouldn't be their problem. They can't decide whether you stay 3weeks or 6 weeks. So go and enjoy your stay. :)

anika987 likes this.
  5. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

I can understand your situation . Your kid is young . Cross-cultural living will give a big advantage to your kid . If I were you I will move my kid back to school in India for couple of years . Elementary is nothing . I regret everyday not moving when kids were in elementary school . Just do what makes you happy.

Anusha2917 likes this.
  6. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Now my kid is going to high school she is very reluctant to make any changes in her life . Since colleges look for gpa starting from 9th her argument if she doesn’t like then it will be hard for her to catch up . I’m going to meet a college counselor to understand the consequences of move and figure out different paths in case she doesn’t like . It is very difficult once they become older . You can even gain some experience working in India if your mom can help in your case . As I’m talking to daughter every day about her concerns and fear it is truly hitting me how hard it is to move at this stage . On the other hand kids who move from India during this age do extremely well .

7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Your own foot note philosophy is this:
    God grant me the serenity
    to accept the things I cannot change;
    courage to change the things I can;
    and wisdom to know the difference.
    If this being your credo, there is no need to worry about others seemingly against your wishes. I for one, wluld not brood wasting my intellectual energy about gang or gangs I'll intentions or moved. You can check mate them as long as you hold to your doctrine quoted above.
    With best wishes from India the Bharat Bharat matha.
    Regards.

8. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

Please do not ignore anyone. I am sorry , it is not for you but for your kids now. they need some connections in with their cousins now.

there is not right or wrong answer here, you have to play smart and sweet even if it is against your ways.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Anika- Don't you think you care about other people's opinions about your life a bit too much? Why do you worry about what would people think? You love going to India, your immediate family is fine with that then why not enjoy the flexibility and freedom?

My question is as other people say..do kids have India trips and they can’t even tolerate two weeks?

I can speak for my kids and my friends' kids (4-11 years age range)...our kids love traveling. They love long stays in India.

1) I can’t even bluntly say I like India visits coz I can’t come back permanently for various reasons.

Loving India and going back to India are two entirely different things. You can still love India even when you are not planning to move back. I have no plans whatsoever to move back to India but I love visiting home, my family, my friends and I am quite vocal about missing all of them (not the country so much maybe but the people I love).

2) My mil hates me going out with my friends when she herself goes with her friends even out of station.

Is your child the only grandkid? It might not that your MIL dislikes your visits with your friends. If you are leaving the child with her, she might feel overwhelmed with a 6-year-old. My mom has no patience with the kids and I can see how your MIL might not be excited with the idea of taking care of an active 6-year-old.

3) co-sister cribs as to why I go to India when I don’t understand why is it her problem

Ignore. You don't need to give a **** to her opinion. It's your life, you enjoy it. Next time if she says something- just smile and tell her to mind her own business.

4) one of my uncle has a daughter who does not have freedom to come to India often due to in-laws pressure and he hates me enjoying the vacations and is rude to my face.

Anika, he might miss his daughter and feel a bit jealous but I personally don't think someone will hate you enjoying your vacation (I don't know this person so take my opinion with a grain of salt). There are many of my relatives/friends who visit India once in 5 years or so and honestly I have never felt that their family hates me for going to India every year. Everyone has a different lifestyle and challenges, theer is no one size fit all. Don't think too much about these interactions. Your uncle might have said something because he missed his daughter, it doesn't mean that he hates you.

4)All comment that kids are supposed to enjoy summers only in America and none visit India like me every year.How true is that?

Well, all my Indian friends visit India almost every summer or every 2-3 years if parents visit in between. I don't know who these people are telling you that kids should enjoy their vacation in the US. My best friends' kids are now 6 and 10 and she let them stay with their aunt for 4 additional weeks because she couldn't stay for that long. My kids love their time with their cousins. I know other families who send a bit older kids (12-13 years old) to India for summer vacation. One of my colleagues sent his daughter to stay with his sister-in-law in Delhi every year to learn Kuchipudi dance. Again, every family has different circumstances and budget so do what works for your family.

What’s wrong in liking India vacations and meeting my friends there?

It's all in your head. there is nothing wrong.
    My husband is very supportive and he says I can go every year for two or three weeks which is more than enough for me.Until now,my kid also enjoys there and I make sure to take her to various places.Plus hubby says he will be there with her me all three weeks so no worries.

My question is as other people say..do kids have India trips and they can’t even tolerate two weeks?

Again, kids are different. Different families have different priorities. We travel quite a bit for work and mostly take kids with us. We are fortunate to have amazing families on both sides. My parents-in-law travel to the places within/ around the USA (Mexico, Canada) with us to help us out with the kids when we travel for work. This way they get to see different places and kids enjoy their time with grandparents and we all get to do family trips together. My sister has traveled to Europe and around India (and other closeby countries in Asia) to help us with the kids during the day when we are at a conference and we all get to travel/ enjoy the place together as a family. My kids get to spend extra time with their aunts. it's a win-win for all of us.

It's not only India trips, but our kids enjoy exploring any place. My son is now 6 and he plans his own short trips in India. This year he wanted to see Taj Mahal and that was the highlight of the trip for him. Again, we made it a family trip and everyone enjoyed.

To sum up: Happiness is a choice! Make this choice and you won't have to worry about what other's think.

10. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

.:hello:A nice read one to one. Life and life style could be different. I like blue answers which might help OP to evaluate her thinking in fresh light.
    Thanks and regards.
    God bless.

nuss likes this.