1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

For The Love Of My Language

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jskls, Aug 8, 2019.

1. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Yes, the inflow of tourists and people from other state is very high. It will be nice if they could learn few basic customer interaction in tamil so that we do not end up speaking in Hindi in A2B T.Nagar. Thanks for your feedback mam

2. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for all the likes. Just adding few more of my thoughts:

My kids knew only Tamil and english (apart from another language that is required in school) it was extremely difficult for them to follow the conversations. My DD asked me "Tamizh naatula tamizh pesa maattaanglaa/". Will they not talk in Tamil in TN? What are we teaching our children? Why the craziness of other languages and not our own mother tongue. How will I enforce my children to continue speaking in Tamil when my own people back home are refusing to speak the language. How will I encourage my children to continue learning when it's richness is not appreciated in the origin? These were the reasons I wrote this. We must respect other languages and at the same time never forget the richness of our mother tongue as those are the roots that we could give to our children when they grow wings and fly away they need those roots to come back , to their culture to their traditions to their language and relish the history and greatness of their language.

I may not be able to login again for some time.

Balajee and stayblessed like this.
  3. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

At Chennaoi airport all security personnel (CISF) are Hindi speaking and don't understand the local language. I am surprised that this issue has not been raised by any politicians. Is everyone passing through the airport expected to know Hindi?

jskls likes this.
  4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Modi tossed in a Tamil Quote from Thirukkural in his Independence day speech a few days ago, in the context of the Jal Jeevan program.

5. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

I believe Hindi kills local
    Language learning .... I have stayed in Maharashtra for a good part of my life and it is not easy to learn Marathi because all the people who you basically converse like maid and vendors all know Hindi and speak to you in Hindi which kills all avenues of the need learn local language. If we are interested we need to personally find a tutor and learn.

I have seen my friends and their families who migrated from Kerala and Karnataka who migrated to Pune one generation earlier are all fluent in Marathi but as the new migrant unless I live the very older or very orthodox parts of city where you will have people who insists on speaking Marathi , it is difficult.

Earlier generations of migrants were multilingual because they had to learn the language to survive in new city now the is not the case ...

It is up to locals to find ways of preserving language by refusing to converse with non tourists settlers in Hindi so they make an effort to learn local language .....

State govt should also insist of enforcing local language signage and forms in places like banks ...

Some of the govt services have a rule that you need to learn local language based on your posting ... that should be extended to all who get posted into other states ....

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    jskls likes this.
  6. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

You think quoting the thirukkural by the PM is enough to protect Tamil language? Don`t get carried away by the fancy politicians tricks.

7. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

That's true when my kid had to show her bag for some gel pens she had security personnel was continuously speaking only in Hindi. Those jobs should mandate the use of local language

8. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

exactly my thoughts. Sad part is our local govt after becoming rulers right hand had changed the laws that require all govt postings that has a criteria for local language. Now anyone can join local govt posting without knowing the language but they can learn the language in two years.

In recent teacher training exams only 1% locals have passed (that is what the govt says). Imagine non native language speaking teachers teaching in govt schools. Initially as a country we fought against invasion. now they have to do this at state level. pathetic

9. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

throwing a quote is just another political gimmick.