1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Delhi A City Of Believers With A Difference

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Aug 16, 2019.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Delhi, like any other metro city is a mix of good and bad. Unfortunately of late it is getting name for wrong reasons like road rage and women safety. As you said Punjabis are jovial and hard working and partying hard. Most of them came to Delhi from Pakistan during partition and today they are well established and wealthy.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  2. HariLakhera

Kudos to all South Indians who pick up any language very fast. I have worked with them and really appreciate their quick observation and learning power. Karol bagh in Delhi is home for most south Indians. I think it just happens. In Calcutta it is Lake Road and Lake Gardens.
    Rules are meant to be broken and Delhi walas know it. They can get away with it by greasing the palms of the traffic police. But then it is quite common in India. A friend went to Chennai. He was stopped passing through a one way lane driving from the wrong side. He quite innocently said he was new to the city and did not know. The cop said how the police deals in such cases in Delhi. He said we have an understanding. The cop asked what understanding and this fellow takes a fifty rupee note, pushes it into his pocket and moves on. As simple as that.
    There is no doubt about food. But then every part of the country has its own delicacies.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:I enjoyed my stay in Delhi with and without family for a year commencing from winter. UNI CANTEEN close to parliament was good for South Indian dishes for all office staff and very senior executives. No chair no table. Underneath tree stand and hold the plate & eat . Hot sambar & hot kichidi reasonably priced that included carrot halwa. I could watch parliament Lok Sabha acrimonious proceedings, thanks to my class mate turned parliament stenographer.
    Most interesting part is the struggle to learn speaking chaste Hindi of which I was always shy off. Challenging time, I had in office and out side as well.
    I was to speak about national integration for 5 minutes only in Hindi to an audience comprising junior and senior officers.
    As a novice, how I performed. Here it is.
    Disintegration On National Integration Desideratum
    A lady of the house was more keen to have only madrasi govt employed Brahmin couple as a tenant. The rented part of the house upstairs was damn good. I promised to her, I shall revert. But then I got a old house for rent at karolbagh closer proximity to office than the other and rent a couple of hundreds less than the other one. She pestered me over phone repeatedly and then threatened me that she will arrange my dismissal from office if I do not occupy her home. When I bluffed her that I am being posted away from New Delhi, she came to office, managed to meet my Director General for retaining me in new Delhi. OMG - I had a nightmarish time as she indimidated that she would send hooligans in search of me to karolbagh! Unforgettable
    Thanks and Regards.
    God provides shelter not made of concrete but protects edifice built by Bhakthi

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    Sandyr46 likes this.
  4. Thyagarajan

:hello:@Sandyr46
    Thanks for clicking like option for this FB too.
    God Bless.

5. Thyagarajan

@HariLakhera
    In your essay on capital of India, you had captured nicely entire gamut of Delhites now & then.
    Delhi close to numerous divine places and rivers and abodes of Godesses & Lords. LORD MOUNTBATTEN did his best for annexing Kashmir to India but then ruler wanted to remain ruler .
    Through Kaiber foreigners came invaded north india plundered it taken away precious stones articles and maintained huge harems with dancing dames and liquors. Rape and luxury turned order of the day, Hindus remain subdued kept low profile.
    Refugees enjoyed larger hand in the pie.
    Ajmal Khan road in karol bagh turned jewellers paradise for people in high places. Knowing them established connections for corruptions.
    I was wondering why mentioned carpet baggers written by harold Robbins. Re reading I found it is carpet beggars. The invaders brought carpets and carpet culture to North India first.
    You talk of gun. I think of queens and other adventurous princess who fought bravely and sacrificed their lives fighting against imperialists and invaders.
    I wonder if some ruling party would provide as a freebie to women free gun to protect themselves both indoor and outdoor from stalkers and outlandish partners.
    I wonder how adhi sankara established mutts in north India and propagated hindu culture there.
    Your views about present Delhi with regard to transport and power are ok. Transport and power were horrible during those days. Karol bagh people never used switch off the tubelights as voltage drops often to 140 150. No complaints about water supply.
    Thanks and regards.

6. HariLakhera

About the lady keen to have you as a tenant, a Madrasi Government employed Brahmin is really bizarre. She had the guts to say and do that. I lived in Delhi on a rented accommodation for 5 years in south ex during seventies. The landlords preferred employees with transferable jobs so that they could get a new tenant at higher rental.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. HariLakhera

Delhi has a chequered history from Kauravas and Pandavas to Mughal rule to British rule to present day self rule by democracy. I point of Carpetbaggers by Harold Robbins was about the power brokers in the corridors of power. They flourished during Licence Permit Raj, defence deals, Government contracts and so on and they still do.
    Women have already started carrying sprays and learning karate. Licenced gun will be a bad idea. Today women tomorrow everyone will ask for self defence. America is already facing the brunt of the gun lobby.
    After the power distribution was privatised in Delhi, there is lot of improvement. At least they inform in advance of the likely power outage.
    Water supply is regulated for two to three hours a day but it is treated and one can drink it directly from the tap. One has to store water anyway.
    Thanks for your feedback.

Thyagarajan likes this.