1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Alas, It Was Only A Dream-part One.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Aug 18, 2019.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

ALAS, IT WAS ONLY A DREAM-PART ONE

1. INFORMATION

(Delhi, India midnight of the intervening dates of 24th and 25th September 2019)

“TRING” “TRING” “TRING “------- (who could be there at this unearthly midnight hours?)

“Hello! Who is this?” (With slight irritation)

“Calling from Swedish Academy Sir. May I talk to Harry Lakra please?”(Some female voice with a western accent)

"Yes, Hari Lakhera speaking.”

“Sir, please talk to Mr. Chesterfield”

“OK”

Mr. Hurry Liquor! Good Evening Sir. I am Chesterfield, the press secretary of the Nobel Committee attached to the Swedish Academy, Stockholm. Sir! I have been directed to inform you that you have been selected by the Committee for the Nobel Prize for Literature for the year 2020. Sir, we are arranging to send to you the formal Letter of Invitation along with the air tickets with a request to accept the same and make yourself present on December 10, 2020, to receive the Prize from His Highness, the King of Sweden.”

“Thanks” (Sound of a click as the phone is put back to the cradle on the other side)

2. FORMAL INVITATION

(Next morning the INVITATION is delivered by a white man with military uniform at my doorstepep)

The Nobel Committee of the Swedish Academy, Stockholm, entrusted with the responsibility of selecting the winning entry for Nobel Prize for Literature, the Year 2020 is pleased to inform Mr. Hari Lakhera that the Prize goes to his outstanding contribution in the field of Literature. His path-breaking novel "Mountain of Hills" has been adjudged the best entry for the year 2020. The Prize will be handed over by His Highness The King of Sweden on December 10, 2020, at 10 A. M. at the Convention Hall of the King's Palace, Stockholm, Sweden.

Mr. Hari Lakhera is requested to accept the Invitation by returning a signed copy of this invite to the bearer with a signed copy of the great novel “Mountain of Hills”.

Mr. Hari Lakhera is also requested to present himself at the venue on the appointed day and time to receive the Prize. All arrangements for his travel and stay have been made. As a mark of respect for his outstanding contribution, the Committee has also made arrangements for travel and stay for his family members and friends in IL.

3. PRIZE HANDING OVER

(Convention Hall, King’s Palace, Stockholm, Sweden. Date December 10, 2020, 10 A. M. Seated on the Dias with The King of Sweden and few other dignitaries from the left myself dressed in Italian cut black suit with a white shirt and blue printed neck-tie. Seated on the front rows in the Hall from the left are Cheeniya, Balajee, Thyagarajan, Amulet, Syamala, Sandyr46, iyerviji, srama, agatha83, Viswamitra, jskls, Satchitananda, periamma, jayasala and many others all dressed up in latest Tahaliani and Ritu Beri Creations.)

(There is a sharp click on the sound system and a hefty Female Figure named Isabel takes to the podium)

Ms. Isabel: “Your Highness, The King of Sweden, honorable members of the Nobel Committee and other dignitaries present from all over the world! May I request Mr. Fulbright, a distinguished member of the Nobel Committee and a renowned litterateur in his own right to say a few words about the prize-winning entry? Over to you Sir!

Mr. Fulbright: “Your Highness and Ladies and Gentlemen present in this august house! Mr. Hairylacquer! I have been a member of the Nobel Committee for Literature for over 40 years now and never in my long career have I seen such overwhelming support for this year’s winning entry. Of the 377 proposals received by the committee, all the 18 members unanimously selected this entry. “Mountain of Hills” happens to be the sole published novel by Mr. Hairylacquer whose love for writing spans over 67 years. He had started writing from the age of three and the favorite writing board for him was the walls of his parent’s living room. At that time it was not possible to infer what the toddler in Mr. Hairylacquer wanted to say as most of the writings were in symbols. Coming events cast their shadows before! This passion for writing was further sharpened in his growing years. Rejections never deterred him. Even though Magazines and Journals continued rejecting his manuscripts but possibly for this very reason his love for literature was fortified. As providence would have it, he had a chance encounter with Ms. Shila, literary agent and rest as they say is history. “Mountain of Hills” is the story of a genuine writer who did not budge a bit and finally proved the naysayers wrong. One copy each of the Novel, facilitated by the Nobel Committee, is already on your seats. I will not take any more time and now request His Highness The King Of Sweden to hand over the Prize and the Citation to Mr. Hairylacquer

(His Highness, The King of Sweden hands over the Prize and the Citation to me. The King utters a few words of appreciation in Spanish to which I reply by saying ‘gratuitous’ the only Spanish word I know. Mr. Chesterfield requests me to say a few words in acceptance who takes to the podium like fish to water)

To be continued …

shyamala1234 likes this.

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Fascinating! Nobody has ever deserved a Nobel Prize for Literature more than you! Waiting to hear more Hairylacquer.

3. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Hairylaquerji,
    We hope your dreams come true. But please do not write like Nobel prize literature winners.....we would not understand them. I do not understand their books....could not go beyond 20 pages. All Greek and Latin. Write like Hari Lakhera.
    Syamala

Cheeniya likes this.
  4. HariLakhera

Yes Sir, my name has been mis-pronounced in various ways even in India. Some pronounced it as Lakra, some Lakeera and some simply avoid it by calling me by first name Hari. This way they also remember the Creator.
    It started when my parents' generation had to use R in place of D pronounced as 'ardha' in Hindi. So instead of Lakhe'ardha' they wrote Lakhera. Rest is history.

5. HariLakhera

Sure, Ma'm. Your wish is my command. But then my book is a collection of my so called writings in a novel form and you will enjoy it.