1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Bill !

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by Sandyr46, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Sandyr46

Sandyr46 Gold IL'ite

Ravi sheepishly looked around as the alarm kept buzzing continuously. He tried to dismiss the alarm but missed it twice, his head throbbing in pain. He had a lot too much drink at the party last night and he was looking forth to see his wife Savita bring in her magical remedy drink for his hangover as she did everytime.

But today something was amiss. Ravi called out to his wife ‘Savita, savi where are u? Get me the remedy drink...

But there was no sign of Savita. He tried to get up from the bed hitting his feet on the bed stump...’ouuuchhh savitaaaaaaa.....he shouted loudly. Now he had a throbbing pain on his head and feet...

His clothes and shoes from last night were strewn all over the bedroom floor. He went to the kitchen still no sign of Savitaa. Cussing his wife he went to the living room only to find Savita happily sipping her morning coffee and having her breakfast.

Ravi barged towards Savita furiously and stopped just to see a covered plate and coffee mug. ‘Ohh Savita, you know I don’t have breakfast before the remedy drink. Please get me that first...

Saying so he uncovered the plate only to be shocked to see a bill of 4,80,000 and the Thali !!
    The bill read 2 years salary for being a housemaid. Ravi was still reeling in shock. He was hungry and angry as well.

‘Savita what is this? Is it some joke?
    Savita looked up from the coffee cup and gave a smirk. ‘You don’t remember what you said last night do you?? Hmm....let me remind you...So you have been drinking and partying and enjoying giving reasons like events and celebration. Its been almost a year now since I have visited my parents. All this while I have been loving, caring and tolerant with everything and you had the audacity to say that this piece of thread on my neck you tied is a license to treat me any way you want. You boasted and claimed that you can hire a maid for 20,000 thousand per month to take care of all your needs....

....So Ravi darling am leaving this job and want you to pay my dues so you can happily hire someone else for my role......I am off to change and have a flight to catch to meet my parents..

Saying that Savita walked towards the bedroom to change. Ravi was still shocked. He had never imagined such a reaction from his loving and naive wife. He was so shocked he could neither move nor speak....he waited for Savita to come out of the bedroom.

As Savita came out, Ravi called out to her ‘Savi, please am sorry, let us speak’

Savita stood still for a moment and then walked back to the table and started scribbling something on a letter pad. Ravi thought for a moment ‘savi will forgive’. Savita brought the scribbled paper to him. It read ‘the remedy drink costs another 1,00,000’......Ravi was dazed reading the note...

As Savita progressed towards the door carrying her bag, she flipped her head and said sweetly ‘Ravi I expect a NEFT transfer soon and hope you find a great maid too....byeeeeeee.......

sindmani, periamma, iyerviji and 4 others like this.

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Nice story and a lovely narrative style..

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Interesting story. Usually I have no patience to read stories at this age , earlier used to read a lot but read this as it was a short one

Sandyr46 likes this.
  4. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

@Sandyr46 Luckily she didn't ask him to transfer through IMPS.Good one

Sandyr46 likes this.
  5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:The operating part of the story - the poignant one.
    Many casually utters statements that SAHM is doing nothing at home or they are lazy. At current market rates for such services, if salary calculated per month it would be mind boggling indeed. For 2 years it would far exceed if one calculates on overtime basis, it would easily far exceed ₹4,80,000. Saritha seems to be SAVITA seems reasonable. But that is not the question here to ponder about.

I liked Savitas gumption in adding another bill ₹10 0000 to the plate for “hangover” remedy.
    Simple elegance in nice narration bringing out the point as a slap on the face of slipshod loud mouthed Ravis of the modern economy.
    Hip hip hurray.

Sandyr46 likes this.
  6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: A vital point is enunciated in a brilliant manner by a simple act of billing domestic services
    2. In modern contexts the story is toldwith style and elan emphasising the inebriated partners the value of spouse in terms of market forces.
    3. Incorrigibles and the likes of Ravi’s are to be dealt with a surprise surgical strike.
    4. The bill with E & O E. woven with nice narrative thread.
    Deserves from readers a hip hip hurray.
    Thanks and Regards.

God blesseth daring betterhalves!

Sandyr46 likes this.
  7. Sandyr46

Sandyr46 Gold IL'ite

:thumbup::thumbup: