1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Housing Options For Newly Single Women

Discussion in 'Life Without Spouse' started by BhumiBabe, Aug 1, 2019.

1. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Moderators, if I have posted this under the wrong section, please correct.

I wanted to create a thread that would have resources available for women who are in transitory periods of their life. Considering my own circumstance, I have found that finding housing to be challenging, especially when children are involved. And sometimes, it's not just the finances, but the sheer loneliness of having to face life all on your own. Anyway, if you have any resources that would help women find some independence and peace of mind, please post below.

These are the types of things I am hoping to see:
    > Housing forums for women who have children
    > Unique or alternative ideas to deal with employment limitations
    > Ideas for childcare when grandparents are not able to support
    > Organizations that are supportive/welcoming for South Asian women (divorcees or living without a spouse)

If there are any other challenges you have faced, please add them below. Maybe together we can crowdsource an answer.

celpip21, Agathinai, Laks09 and 3 others like this.

2. BhumiBabe

I guess I will start.

For jobs, checking out remote.co for remote opportunities and flexible schedule jobs.

If you are looking for housing options that are a little atypical, you could potentially become a house sitter or pet sitter, and stay as guest (and paid a little for maintenance of pets, garden, house, etc) while the homeowner is traveling.

I found a housing forum called coabode.org. Only women with children post to find shared housing. There are also single parenting resources for healthcare, financial support, counseling support, etc. linked through this site.

3. YoGirl

YoGirl Gold IL'ite

OP,

I may not be able to give answers to your questions.. but I dont understand why you are looking for flexible/remote jobs. From your post, i felt like you are putting your career in backburner.. i am sorry if I understood it wrong.

Career should be the strongest factor and everything else should revolve around it esp in these times..

4. BhumiBabe

I’m just starting a thread about resources. It’s an option for some women to have flexible jobs, which will give them more parenting time. That’s why I added it.

I agree, the career is very important, but things are a bit more complicated when children are involved, and you want to maintain as much stability for them.

SinghManisha likes this.
  5. Sandyr46

Sandyr46 Gold IL'ite

It shouldnt b limited only for single women abroad. I think a lot of us in India would value that kind of input too. For example I had posted a query for some good apartment purchasing options in Bangalore. Unfortunately there were just very few responses.

6. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

just to answer your Question on property purchase, there is no easy way. Property in india does not move like usa. Sorry, there is lot of cheating involved. So, posting any request for help is good and not so good. since you cannot trust with respect to property even if its on LOAN in india

shravs3 likes this.
  7. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

I feel career in IT development is the best. in usa if you have EAd and above, sky is the limit. so many options, remote, consulting, full time. only thing to work is improve your skills

BhumiBabe likes this.
  8. BhumiBabe

Most of you are savvy enough on the internet, but for those (like me) who may have forgotten due to stress and what not, there are housing groups that you can connect with through facebook. Just search under Groups, for "housing" and the city's name.

9. Sandyr46

Sandyr46 Gold IL'ite

Request for 'help' doesnt mean asking nybody for financial r legal assistance. I think we have enough competent Banks and Lawyers in India for that. When I meant options it was about suitable n safe areas for single moms with schools and activities around. Anybody with a family in Bangalore cud respond to that.

10. Sandyr46

Sandyr46 Gold IL'ite

[QUOTE="lavani, post: 4147569, member: Sorry, there is lot of cheating involved. So, posting any request for help is good and not so good. since you cannot trust with respect to property even if its on LOAN in india[/QUOTE]

And as for 'cheating' that can happen nywhere. Be it India or Abroad, so goes for 'trust' as well..