1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Handle "what Do You Do All Day From Inlaws To A House Wife?"

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Desideer, Jul 31, 2019.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I actually introspect myself when people ask me “what I do all day?” Coz am a homemaker..

Firstly life and priorities differs from person to person..if we start explaining one never has any end to it.At the end of the day,people should understand each one is doing their own thing in life according to their interests.Life may reverse in an instant for anyone.

Being a homemaker is what I want and not sacrificing for husband or kids.It is my choice.people talk about women freedom,like how one wants the choice to be a career woman,I want the choice to be a homemaker but honestly my choice is questioned.

I have been surprised when more than working women..there are homemakers who have put me down asking about my identity and thinking am restricting myself.

I dot a lot of things in my life but I don’t need to post it on Facebook.Those people who comment are the ones who are actually miserable.

In the words of sadguru,working or not working should not be a trend but should be a choice unquestioned for their own personal reasons.

But anyways again..we can’t keep explaining.Some people r totally shameless...they act just coz they have everything in life and is perfect.

Genuine people who are working will never ever question someone who is at home.One if my cousin Of a living example.She never questions what I do in life and is so sweet and that makes me respect her more..

Another uncle whose personal life is in shambles..is earning a lot and questions me all the time.It will take me just one minute to crash him down saying how much his wife and son tortures him and his career or money is just a distraction and didn’t give him the happiness.

Not just working..Everyone has their own weakness..Problem is we don’t “ tap” that.

However..with your in-laws relatives just like other posters mentioned..give them back a fitting reply.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Nine followers responded already how it should be handled or retorted or and how to wriggle out of such embarrassment.
    But I would suggest this type of question to be always answered with a question or counter question.
    A son of my friend with no work no ambition despite his management degree and other diplomas called on and in presence of my family he asked a general question “ how much pension are you getting uncle?”
    My spouse and son were taken aback but I smiled at him asked him “what are you going to do with my pension?”
    He felt dumbstruck.
    If the other person assumes that x is good for nothing and ask accusing or and embarrassing questions, x should respond not react simply by counter questioning.
    Boss finding a clerk habitually coming late remarks, “you are late today”
    Clerk responds, “am I late today”
    Boss “you are daily coming late”
    Clerk “ am I Daily coming late”
    Next time if Op is asked the same question, her response can be-
    “Whatever you are doing the whole day, I do it slightly more than that”
    That settles the matter. Longer the reply or response would always lead to more arguments leading to avoidable altercations.
    For comments too if you feel bad comments simple say thanks but I do not agree. One can not assail over arguments . It is waste of lungs.
    Thanks and Regards.
    God bless.

3. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Exactly :rolleyes: How does it matter if one is from Harvard or Stanford for being a housewife? University can never come into picture for such things. Even research says so

Ivy-League Degree Makes Mom More Likely to Stay Home

Thyagarajan and anika987 like this.
  4. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

It doesn't matter
    But I think people take pride in saying they are from a top university

Thyagarajan and shravs3 like this.
  5. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

This one is gold. ask a lot of questions about them before they get a chance to question you.

6. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Another response could be..

“I eat,sleep,watch tv and MIND MY OWN BUSINESS “..

The last four words alone a little louder..
    If that doesn’t shut people,they are totally unfit to even talk to

Laks09 and Sunshine04 like this.
  7. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Even the word housewife is wrong
    It should be HOMEMAKER

8. Thyagarajan

I am glad that I am welcome here as four clicked LIKE 4 my response posted here. I thank all those members who clicked or unclicked this post. All of u deserve blessing of Almighty.
    God bless with succour my sisters and daughters from Dharmasangad.

Desideer likes this.
  9. Desideer

Desideer New IL'ite

Thank you very much for all the replies. I could have said in those lines. However i always felt wrong to back answer people who are elder to you and close in relation to my husband. However i have definitely taken some notes and will try to give them a taste of their own medicine next time. My poor husband will go in lengths explaining them how i manage everything without any outside help I just wants to scream at top of the voice and tell them that they have no right to ask such questions to me since am not the one who is extending the hand at them. Such shameless people.

Thyagarajan and anika987 like this.
  10. Thyagarajan

:hello:thanks but wish to state that keeping those nettlesome and irritating moments close to heart affects one's body chemistry and so better to forgive and forget those moments.
    God bless.