1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Many Of You Are Adjusting With In Laws For Sake Of Kid? Good Idea Or Not?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Needtobestrong, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

I agree Yellow mango...but sometimes conflicts arise when the DILs parents are staying with couple or very close by to look after kids when they work..like insecurities of in laws that their Sambandhis will make him as Ghar Jamai..and husband sometimes doesn't feel comfortable with in laws in close proximity but forced to agree to such arrangement so both can pursue career peacefully...

2. Needtobestrong

Yes Topaz I agree...I was brought up by grand parents...at the same time when my paternal grand parents were staying with us I saw how stressed and harassed my mother was due to their bad behaviour..the affection showered on my by maternal grandparents helped to make me grow up with good morals in life ...i really enjoy enjoyed time with extended family and cousins..but I'm thankful that paternal grand parents did not stay as Joint family with us for long...their daily dramas would have spoilt my childhood like anything! Such things really spoil childhood, many of girls in twenties are refusing to marry because they got negative attitude about marriage and in laws after seeing their moms being harassed and treated badly by their husbands and in laws..it's a fact and I personally know quite a few of the, who prefer to remain single and happy.

Sunshine04 likes this.
  3. Topaz49

Topaz49 Gold IL'ite

The efforts by both Christian and Hindu reformers such as William Carey and Ram Mohan Roy ultimately led the Governor-General of IndiaLord William Bentinck to enact the Bengal Sati Regulation, 1829, declaring the practise of burning or burying alive of Hindu widows to be punishable by the criminal courts. largely contributed towards the passing of this law.

These were followed up with other legislation, countering what the British perceived to be interrelated issues involving violence against Hindu women, including: Hindu Widows' Remarriage Act, 1856, Female Infanticide Prevention Act, 1870, and Age of Consent Act, 1891.

No matter your opinion, credit should be given where it is due.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    Sweety2019 likes this.
  4. Needtobestrong

Smart woman!
    Win- win situation!
    I really have a lot to learn from her!

lavani likes this.
  5. Needtobestrong

Yes it can be done whole heartedly when there is some level of mutual understanding and co operation from both ends..yes I've seen some happy families where MIL whole heartedly looks, after kids and allows DIL to do further studies and job..even support during pregnancies until she goes to parents home for delivery! .yes really..!and the DIL in turn goes out of the way to look after her in laws and take them to places they want and shower them with gifts because she is overwhelmed with the care and affection that she and her kids her...

6. Needtobestrong

Yes armummy many conflicts arise even when DIL takes help from parents it's just that they don't express openly and compromise..lot of times even mother and daughter fight over petty issues or becomes big argument..but they may make up as its blood relation while MIL will express her discomforts more openly and conflict may not be resolved so easily..if adjustments are made the kids can enjoy love of both sets of grand parents.

7. Needtobestrong

Even I've heard of this with relatives of mine who have sons and daughters who are NRIs..adjusting to different country and culture in their old age is not everyone's cup of tea..not that they don't love Their families but they are unable to travel like this.

8. Needtobestrong

Your sister is blessed to have such in laws who make so much adjustment in old age..
    Your mother also has to be admired..
    When elders are so accommodating we also whole heartedly feel like taking care of them in old age till their last days!
    Your PILs made it clear they don't wanna help in child care so staying separately ...you're a shade better off than ladies who have to live with in laws who don't want to do even ten percent help even if extremely healthy and fit.

9. Needtobestrong

True.

10. Topaz49

Topaz49 Gold IL'ite

Background in history here might be helpful.

The British first established trading posts in India, in order to purchase spices that were much in demand in Britain and Europe. They first came to trade and not to conquer.

How was Britain, several thousand miles away and with a much smaller population come to dominate an entire sub-continent?

Lack of unity among the local inhabitants, technological advantages and a clever policy of retaining local elites in power and gaining their cooperation.

Partly, our caste system is to be blamed. In the absence of caste system, we would have all Indians to protect India not just the Kshatriyas. If Britain had been faced with a strong government, it is highly unlikely that they would have been able to establish their empire in South Asia. Elites sold India to British. Who were the Elites?

In 1700, the Indian sub-continent was largely unified under the powerful Mughal dynasty. This Muslim dynasty had conquered much of South Asia and brought a degree of peace and prosperity to the land.

However, by 1750, the Mughal Empire was in decline. Even at the height of their power, they were unable to directly administer their territories and they often delegated authority to appointees. Over time, these local leaders became increasingly powerful and became independent of the Mughal Court. This weakened the Mughal Empire. The dynasty had also been undermined by the invasion of the Empire by an Afghan warlord who even sacked Delhi, the capital of the Empire.

Aurangzeb, an Islamic fundamentalist departed from the traditionally tolerant policies of the Mughals and this led to much resentment among the majority Hindus. This was to spark a series of Hindu revolts by groups such as the Marathas and further weakened the dynasty. Furthermore, he had engaged in unceasing war, as he tried to conquer the few remaining areas on the subcontinent that were not directly controlled by the Mughals. The cost of his wars was ruinous and they left the Mughal Empire almost bankrupt.

In reality, power was now in the hands of a multitude of Muslim and Hindu local rulers, known as Rajahs or Sultans. India was politically fragmented by the time that the British started to expand in India and this greatly facilitated their growing influence in the sub-continent, eventually rule India .