1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Daydreaming, Imaginary Friends And Talking & Playing By Herself

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by nayidulhan, May 11, 2019.

1. nayidulhan

nayidulhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Friends,
    Very recently, my otherwise happy and healthy 8 yo daughter has started daydreaming. She sits by herself or lies down on the bed, lost in her thoughts... smiling and frowning intermittently.

she had an imaginary friend when she was almost 4 yo but that "friend" was in her life only for a few days in that summer and disappeared when she started school for the first time. Recently, she has started playing and talking to some imaginary friend(s).

I know this is a phase and it will come and go and come again. But what worries me the most is that I have been a big daydreamer myself, all through my growing up years. So much so that I would not waste a single minute of my alone time and would start daydreaming immediately!

On hindsight, I realize that I have under achieved, under performed and wasted my time and talent only because of this habit of daydreaming. I don't want my happy, healthy child to repeat my mistakes. Please guide me.

2. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

3. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

I don't know if I am the most competent person to answer this question, but as a parent, I can tell you this, pay attention to her, sit with her whenever you get a chance, read books to her, play with her, ask her about her school work, try to engage with her. I am myself poor at it, but the only solution to this problem is involvement with her. When I was a kid, at least for some period of time I used to play with neighbours' kids, but I couldn't do it after sometime. Too bad nowadays parents can't find time for kids and kids can't go play with someone in their neighborhood.

sumzaya likes this.