1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tragic End To A Beautiful Love Story

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SGBV, Jul 15, 2019.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Lavanya

I happened to meet this young woman in one of the orphanage, which I used to visit frequently on special days. She joined there as an orphan, as well as she offered to serve there as a care-taker/mother figure to those orphan kids.
    The system there is amazing. They group kids of different ages from infant to 18 yrs old into families (5-6 kids) and appoint a care-taker for each group. These kids and their care-taker will be given a home (like cabana) with essential facilities. All of them are orphans, hence they make a family within. The kids call each other as "anna, Thambi, Akka.. and they all call their caretaker as Amma". And more importantly, they mean it.
    They go to School, and live as normal as other kids. Their home is managed by foreign funds.

Lavanya didn't look like a poor orphan, though she claimed so. Her body language, attitude and style portrayed a different story than what she officially shared. Nevertheless, she was a very nice, caring and lovely woman. That bonded us very quickly on a friendly manner.

After a lot of bonding in the past 2 years, she opened up everything about her life, which shattered me to the core.
    I clearly know that, she is wrong... But I dont know how to help her.

Here goes her story:-

Lavanya was the eldest DD of a middle class railway employee. She lost her mom when she was 4 yrs old; hence her dad remarried immediately. Her step mom was cruel, and her cruelty worsened when she had her own kids. Lavanya was cornered, punished, and isolated in her own home with no love or care. Though her dad knew all this, he didn't want to risk his marriage life for his DD.
    Lavanya beard all these out of no choice till she joined workforce in a hospital as a nurse.

She showered all her love and care to the patients at the hospital, and that was the only solace in her otherwise dim life.

One fateful day when Lavanya was riding in a bike with her colleague, who offered a lift to the bus station that rainy evening, the duo met with an accident.
    Though both of them were rushed to the hospital, there was no one to claim responsibility of fatally injured Lavanya initially. But apparently her dad and sisters took turn in taking care of her till she almost regained consciousness.
    Lavanya was declared paralyzed below her waist level, which scared her spineless dad too. He requested the hospital to send her to any orphanage directly from the hospital citing his practical problems with his second wife.

That's when Manoj entered the scene and claimed complete responsibility of Lavanya to take her home.
    She was still in half conscious and didn't know what was going on.

In the next few days, they have shifted her to a luxury home with a full time care-taker. Manoj paid extensive attention about her well-being, and directed his maids to consider her as utmost priority.
    Nevertheless, the maid left her abruptly one fine day to attend her family emergency; thus Lavanya was left alone in her cozy bed for a day.
    She did bleed profusely, as she got her first period after that fateful accident, and the whole bed got drenched in blood eventually. There was no one to feed her or attend to her needs, as Manoj wasn't home that day it seems.
    She eventually became unconscious, and got revived latter that day when Manoj cleaned her up with bare hands.
    She was too weak to react, though she was completely uncomfortable to lie half naked on a period day before an unknown young man at his home. That too as paralyzed and helpless.
    Tears rolled down from her eyes, when she cried in pain both inside and out thinking about her pathetic condition.
    Manoj quickly reacted to it by tying a mangalsutra (He later mentioned it was his mother's) and asked her not to cry anymore as she is being helpless only before her husband, and it is alright.

Then only she learnt the fact that Manoj was one of her patient, who had so much respect for the way how she cared him when he was sick at the hospital.
    He introduced himself as a single man with no baggage, and later she realized from the care-takers that Manoj is a million-er with a very successful business in town.

Lavanya received physiotherapy treatments and learned to walk again on her own. She soon started to take care of the home together with those maids.
    Manoj started feeling some liveliness in his home now after the death of his mom a decade back. He sincerely loved Lavanya and wanted her to be in his life. she too reciprocated it.

The couple got married legally, and started a joyous marriage life together. Their happiness lasted for 4 years, and they were inseparable during then.
    However, they too had problems in their life in the name of childlessness. Lavanya was insulted in family gathering as many relatives from Manoj's side didn't like their union anyways.
    Some of their business enemy's unnecessarily questioned Manoj's masculinity during arguments, which hurt Lavanya to the core.
    Though she wanted to address this problem with a medical professional for a long time, Manoj didn't.

So, this time Lavanya met with a Dr on her own, and genuinely tried to fix their problem. For her surprise, the Dr had an utmost shocking news about her fertility. It was revealed that Lavanya has a problem in her uterus, that a part of her womb has been surgically removed. Therefore, she could never become pregnant. She also learned that she could not please her H sexually after a while due to hormonal imbalance due to the same, which she has started experiencing already.

Shattered Lavanya feared about her life, and thought a lot before revealing the news to her husband. But, surprisingly he took it easily as he apparently knew all this before their marriage itself. In fact, it was him who signed off for the surgery to save Lavanya following that accident, that connected them earlier. He knew Lavanya could never bear his child; nevertheless he wanted her to become his wife anyway.

Puzzled Lavanya didn't want this to ruin her husband's life; thus pushed him to remarry someone else, and create a family. But he denied and wanted Lavanya as his wife and everything for life. This went on and on for sometimes between them, and disturbed the happiness in their marriage.

Poor lady, she was stuck with extreme guilt and self pity that she doesn't wanna ruin her husband's life anymore by being with him. So, she left him abruptly without any notice to become a care taker at this orphanage now.
    She is here for nearly 2 years now, and no one from her home has found her yet.

After hearing her story, I was moved a lot and I could not resist the urge to dig further about her husband. I am very much sure that her name and whatever the identical info she has shared about her H were untrue. But I could still dig through if I want to.

But not sure whether it is ethical or not..... Confused...

2. confused4sure

confused4sure Silver IL'ite

Very heart warming love story. I understand your dilemma...

3. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

The first "like" is such a good review.... Touché !

5. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

A very touching story SGBV.
    While I understand your dilemma I have the following questions :

1) how did the husband not try to find her /contact her these 2 years?
    2) if she has made a choice to not be with him for his own happiness, then how will your help of trying to find him convince her?

Just my other thoughts.
    Childlessness shouldn't be a reason to ruin one couple's life(provided couple don't have other issues and are strong in their bond) . Either the couple can choose to remain childless until the end or adopt one . In former case their care for each other will be a proof of their love.
    In latter case they will be giving a home and parents love to an orphan. :)

If I were you I would tell these points to her and convince her to go back to him .

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Indeed.. :)

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Indeed. I am moved :(

I seriously don't know.
    Looking at her explanation, I understand that her H is a big shot. Having the needful contacts, and money it won't be that difficult to locate someone as long as they stay within the country. But I also understand that there is a lot more to this story than what she has shared. Hence I am confused.

Definitely. I could do nothing other than feeling sad for her.
    But from what I've heard, it appears to be a very foolish and emotional decision to me. Though as an adult, she must know what is best, I still think I should locate her H and reunite this loving couple. This is where your heart overtakes your brain and makes you fail in life.

Exactly. And I know many couples, even in my extended family who lives an otherwise happy life without kids. It is indeed a sad state for those who want kids. But that shouldn't make you lose your life or marriage this way.
    However, things are differently pictured from her eyes.

She doesn't see her H just as a Husband alone. For her, he is her God, he is her savior, and hence he deserves better. It was not an equal relationship it seems. She apparently has put everything before her H, and his wellbeing all the time.
    Besides, she feels guilt for not being able to give him a child, and not being able to satisfy him sexually down the line (due to her conditions). And further agony after understanding the fact that her H chose to marry her upon knowing her state completely. It was clearly a commendable gesture by that man. Therefore, I understand how much this woman must have been feeling about him.

She seems to have taken a very clear decision though it appears to be an emotional/foolish one. She is in no mood to get sympathy or advice from us. The way she portrays this case with un-identifyable way (with diff name, diff city etc) it clearly appears as woman doesnt wanna reunite at all.

Very sad indeed

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

My first thought on reading that was to think it was a total spoof on all the tear-jerker stories we read. There are humorous hints in the story to suggest that.
    Aiyyooo... that Manoj was probably in jail as the prime suspect. When a wife suddenly disappears, and husband goes to the police to lodge FIR on missing person, he would be the first suspect. I am not sure if 498A covers that, if it did, then it is also an unbailable offense. Very likely he didn't go to the police, in efforts to try to find her.

When childless first wife "abruptly" disappears, she's not doing her husband a favor. If the first marriage is legal, and there'd been no divorce, he couldn't marry again, and legitimately seed another woman. If Lavanya really wanted him to seed another woman to extend his family tree, she'd have convinced him to convert (Darmendra style in order to wed a 2nd wife) to a more flexible social situation, and stay within the household. Or learnt more about surrogacy and poor women who could offer such services.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Brilliant. That was the first thing that came to my mind too.

Leaving the man abruptly will not give him any favor. It only lands him into more troublesome life both emotionally and socially. And of course, as you said legally too.
    Technically he can't re-marry. But if Police was unsuccessful in locating his wife in a long run, I assume there will be a way to declare her as dead or something like "missing persons" (there are many in SL btw) and the spouse could re-marry (Well, I need to double check whether the second marriage is legal or not).

But, after interacting with this woman, my first impression was like.."Not everyone is brilliant.. And not every situation allows you to be brilliant. There are emotional people, and there are enough circumstance to make you emotional - where your heart foolishly takes over your brain.
    I guess, this is one such incident, though I strongly believe there is much more left than what she has shared with us.

Thyagarajan likes this.