1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What are you reading now?

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Nandshyam, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Bewitched24

Bewitched24 Senior IL'ite

I read it during my teens. Shocked me to my core.

2. gorgeous23

gorgeous23 Silver IL'ite

i have alos read it & loved it. do tell me how you found the story.

Thyagarajan and Bewitched24 like this.
  3. Bewitched24

Sure.:)

4. Rubyru

Rubyru New IL'ite

Eleanor oliphant is completely fine by gail honeyman.

5. Bewitched24

Hi
    I finished reading "The Crooked House". It was really good. I would have never guessed the killer.

Thyagarajan, Giri12 and gorgeous23 like this.
  6. gorgeous23

gorgeous23 Silver IL'ite

just finished reading "Feet of Clay" & Soul Music" by Terry Pratchett.
    while i am a fan of terry pratchett's tiffany aching adventures, somehow, both these failed to click with me.
    feet of clay : i could only manage finishing somehow.
    Soul Music: was better, i really liked the character of DEATH & Death of Rats, rest were ok, it is a good satire on commercial music industry ....
    but more importantly i stumbled upon some old animation videos of disc world ( including soul music) on you tube & i really enjoyed watching them after reading the book.

b

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. rachaputi

rachaputi Platinum IL'ite

Rabindranath Tagore's short story: Vision

Well it didn't me give good feel as it's nurturing the concept of goddess to treat women inhuman. It might story of old days but it shouldn't be an example for male dominated practices. JMO

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

One of my favorite reads of this summer was Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup by John Carreyrou. Carreyrou is the Pulitzer winning investigative journalist from the Wall Street Journal who published a series of articles documenting problems (read outright fraud) with Theranos' diagnostic technology. Those articles led to an FDA+SEC investigation and the ultimate demise of the unicorn startup. I loved this book! The narrative is fast paced and utterly captivating from the first page to the last. Halfway through when the narration shifts from the third person to Carreyrou's first person account of his investigation the book becomes an unputdownable thriller. I found myself reading late into the night, something I can't remember doing for any book in recent memory. It is a mindboggling real life account of dysfunction and deception at a startup that was a Silicon Valley darling for over a decade, and whose founder was touted to be the next Steve Jobs. The brazenness with which Elizabeth Holmes and Sunny Balwani lied to investors, employees and investigators alike was jaw dropping. I had heard about the unhealthy work environment at the company but the thug-like tactics and culture of intimidation created by upper management was beyond shocking. Excellent read, especially for those working in the tech startup scene. Also recommended is the HBO documentary based on the book - The Inventor.

Currently reading How to Think Like a Roman Emperor: The Stoic Philosophy of Marcus Aurelius by Donald Robertson.

Thyagarajan and Vaikuntha like this.
  9. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

Your write up is good enough to sell the book to fellow ILs
    I will definitely the mentioned 2
    Thx for sharing

Gauri03 likes this.
  10. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Here I am, making every effort to keep you au courant, and yet you wait three years to check out Liz H? Tsk, tsk.o_O
    Just kidding. The book is indeed a great read, perhaps a bit light on analytical detail for the eggheads among us, but certainly, a fast-paced account written with journalistic verve. There really is a JLaw movie in the works, by the way, slated for a 2020 release; H & B will be in prison by then, I guess.
    :beer-toast1:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019