1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

You Know Habits Die Hard

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Thyagarajan, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:
    Thanks for your response with thought provoking quotes.
    In modelling industry too i heard the quote - it is expected that models attire just enough to attract but enough to cover!

Thanks and Regards.

2. Thyagarajan

Thanks for your appreciation of my dad and me as well.
    Regards.
    Mathru devo bhava; Pithru devo bhava; Acharya devo bhava; Adhithi Devo Bhava

3. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dearest @Thyagarajan Sir,

Absolutely wonderful article which made me think about my parents. My mother is a fan of doing crossword and she will do that with the oldest dictionary our household had. I wanted to be one like her and now I play word trip religiously. When I learned English in my 5th standard, I used sit on my father's lap and we will read the 'Saturday Review' paper which was used to publish in Jaffna, even during the war times. I always like reading papers but mostly tamil papers. Now, my boys do the daily update and that was instilled in them from their school. I loved your writing and all the responses too.
    Vani

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. paru123

paru123 Gold IL'ite

When I was in my primary class, I earlier wouldn't put dots over small letter i n j and also wouldnt cross the small t. I would finish writing the word and then do this work. My dad taught me to put the dot and cross the t immediately after i have written the letter and not do it in the end. This habit is still with me and makes my writing legible.

This post reminds me to be very alert with my 4.5 year old kid who has now started to write. Good habits need to be taught early on and will remain with us forever.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. Thyagarajan

:hello:Thanks for your response that began and concluded with appreciation of my post writing and responses here as well.
    2. I am glad in particular that the post evoked positive vibes relating to parents using dictionary and “Saturday Review”. I am happy for your boys for updating you from time to time.
    God bless.

girvani likes this.
  6. Thyagarajan

7. Thyagarajan

:hello: I am glad that mere reading of this post proved your memories of child hood vis a vis parenthood. (Right) Habit taught or and learnt in pliable age stays long.
    2. I liked your concluding statement in above response which says it all in a nutshell.
    3. Incidentally the idiom “dot the i's and cross the t's” means to us that to pay a great deal of attention to the details of something, especially when one is trying to complete a task as in “ The negotiations are nearly finished, but we still have to dot the i's and cross the t's.”
    Thanks and Regards.
    God is in Dot and in Cross as well!

8. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for pointing me to this snippet, T sir. Enjoyed reading your recollections of your father and his influence on your early language skills. I was most touched by the fondness with which you remember the good habits he taught you. Those lessons were well learned as is evident by your immensely engrossing and enjoyable snippets on this forum!

Your dad’s preference for brevity brought to mind the stories of the Spartans and their famous aversion to verbosity. Philip II of Macedon, wanting the Spartans to submit to his rule, threatened them with the message: If I invade Laconia, I shall turn you out. The Spartans replied with a single word: If.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

My English professor used to say, "Communication is to express and not to impress". He also used to say, "the letters we write should be short enough to attract attention and long enough to cover the subject.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. Thyagarajan

upload_2022-3-23_10-21-34.jpeg

Above image is an example where habits once formed is difficult to do away with it. Bad or good habit once formed stays long.​